Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012

Mike from NS

Eric,
Friday morning isn't too bad usually ~ it varies. Today was busy however. But most people don't last for 2 hours.

The 8 lanes become 5 at 9:00 due to ladies' "aquacise" class. Then there can be as many as 4 or 5 people to the remaining lanes and at other times as few as 2. For the most part they are a friendly crowd. Have a look at their web site:http://canadagamescentre.ca/default.asp?mn=1.49.233
During July and August the best kept secret of a pool location is the Bedford Lions' Outdoor Pool on Shore Drive. Nearer to you than Chocolate Lake - and warmer too.

Naj would like Grand Lake ... but Queensland Beach might be colder !

On your original question - have you looked up the thread by Nicodemus on bobbing as a breathing "drill" which promoted him to a mile swim from 1000ft.?

See you next Friday ... I generally try for the lane next to the windows - right side as seen in the picture in the link above. The ladies are in the left lanes.
Mike
Old 04-14-2012

rtstewart
Default Heavens - Don't Give Up!

I also have difficulty with comfortable rhythmic breathing. I have been at this about as long as you and seem to have similar distance limits imposed on my swimming because of the breathing difficulties. I don't think there is a silver bullet for anything that is not really simple - and swimming efficiently is not simple. In my case, I am off to the swim studio in New Paltz tomorrow to address this very thing and hope to leave there with some helpful diagnosis. I am quite sure there will be a number of considerations and things to work on that realistically will not likely be cured by one visit. Have you gotten together with a coach for a personal evaluation? Probably would be worth it if you're having that much difficulty and frustration - as I am. We all have such different background with swimming and I think alot depends on where you've come from with it. Sorry I can't be more helpful right now, I wanted to be encouraging you to NOT give up though and do seek assistance. I'm sure we'll both be posting again on this subject.
Old 04-14-2012

efdoucette

Hello rtstewart, nice to hear from you.

I don't have a TI coach in the area although I did just connect with a local swimmer. Good luck with your session tomorrow, if you find any "silver bullets" or "golden nuggets" please let us know. I'm sure I'll resolve my issues with more practice, more relaxation and comfort in the water.

Cheers
Old 04-14-2012
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal
Default Breathing is FUNN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by efdoucette View Post
Well, 1.5 years into self taught TI and in the pool 3 to 4 times per week over the last 5 months and my breathing still sucks. It limits me to 50 meters, have done 75 and the odd 100 but rarely.

I've focused on exhale gently, forcefully, and in between. I've tried breathing every 2 strokes, 3 strokes and 4 strokes. I've tried to temper by inhale gasping problem but to little success. I work on nodding with some success, I think.

I am concerned that I will soon lose motivation as I can't get a handle on breathing. Had a very discouraging swim today.

Does anyone have "the magic bullet"?

Eric
Hey Eric,

I didn't read all the responses but most seem to be spot on. First don't give up as most have noted, keep trying. I suspect (and have seen this a lot), and may have already been mentioned, is head postion on non breathing stroke. If you're looking even slightly forward, when you rotate for breath, head and spine will continue to be out of alignment. That is, your forehead will be higher than your chin when breaching surface due to neck being engaged, neck is bent at 20-30degs. This makes it even tougher to get the breath and often lead hand will trigger too soon pushing down to lift head higher - causing everything to fall apart and body to sink. Disengage the neck (neutral head), get breath early at end of body roll (timing is everything), try to keep forehead lower than your chin(at least feel it's lower). This position, as a consequence, head and spine will be in alignment on breathing stroke. No more bending neck to raise top of head to get breath - that's hard; mouth's not on your forehead :-). I see lots of bent necks when breathing in the pool, and huge bow waves. Don't need a bow wave to get your breath, just an alignend head/spine to easily get your o2. Forehead low, chin high - get all the air you need. Happy Swimming! Stuart
Old 04-16-2012

collinsdc
Default In the same boat..

Hi efdoucette, I can sympatise with all your frustration - your account of your breathing problems could have been me.

I am in the same boat as you, just over one & a half years at TI, again self- coached although I have been fortunate enough to encounter a Lifeguard at my local pool who is an elite swimmer & a devotee of TI swimming. I have had some one-to-one lessons with him & my technique has been deemed very good... yet its that darn breathing that upsets everything.

I'm sure, just like me you have trudged your way through all the threads on breathing on the forums, absorbed what worked for others & then made your way to the pool hoping that today would be the day.. The moment when the final piece of the jigsaw fell into place.. but alas it was not to be. You leave the pool frustrated & at a loss as to what to try next.

Unfortunately as I am just where you are & I cannot offer anything other than encouragement. Keep at it, be determined to overcome this obstacle, how long will this take? - Who knows, but if you throw in the towel then you will never find out.

I believe a lot of my lack of progress is due to mental attitude, that little voice in your head that tells you to stop when you see the wall approaching. I recently heard an encouraging quote from a 61 year old triathlete who simply said :
" Make all the excuses you want... & then get on with it ".

Lately what has helped me gain a few more meters each week is to put aside all the self-analysis & information overload & instead to focus entirely on relaxation as I swim. Focusing on relaxing has put me in touch with my own natural breathing rhythm & my time at the pool has become enjoyable again.
Rather than think about distance I now focus on finishing a pool length with the same calm feeling when I began the length. Hopefully in time the distance will follow.

Apologies for the long post, but hang on in there, I know exactly what it feels like.

Denis.
Old 04-17-2012

efdoucette

Thanks for your encouragement Denis, it is nice to know I'm not alone even after 1.5 years. Sorry to hear you are also not there but you have a good outlook, you will do fine.

At my swim today I really just slowed down and looked for comfort, following most of the suggestions people in this thread have offered. Thanks to Coach Stuart for reminding me about head position, I focused on that a lot today.

I ended the day not much further ahead but knowing I'm on the right track.

My plan is to continue to look for comfort while incorporating technique and distance in accumulative bits.

Eric
Old 05-11-2012

efdoucette
Default Updating

Just a little update for those that have offered advice.

I swam 500 M today, but with a combination of free, breast and some skating.
As I approach the wall I ensure I push off, just keep going even if I need to revert to a breathing type stroke (breast or skate works for me) but I continue to swim while looking for comfort.

I am encouraged by my swim today. I feel I may be dealing with my breathing issues and consequently am able to focus on technique (head down!).

This has been a real challenge for me, thanks for your advice and energy.

Now, I have to focus on counting laps, something I never had to do before. Today I used the alphabet, got to "J".
Eric
Old 05-14-2012

Flanker7
Default Same but even farther behind

I cannot even get to the breathing part as I cannot conquer the floating on my back with head tucked. I have tried the noodle but no luck. Any suggestions my frustration is climbing as I truly see that TI can help

Mike
Old 05-14-2012

efdoucette

Hi Mike, I'm really not in a position to give advice and probably shouldn't but here goes anyway. There is one thing that I do that helps me work on learning balance, streamlining and breathing.

It is breaststroke (kind of, see my explanation below). Can you do any form of breaststroke? Mine started pretty bad but after a few months now it is getting better, I go slow and stretch out the glide. You can watch some utube videos for basic "how to's" of the stroke.

It allows be me practice what I've listed above, balance, streamlining and breathing. It is an easy stroke to get air and to practice exhaling slowly and continuously. While in the gliding stage of breaststroke I do one of two exercises along with exhaling:

One, I just extend arms into a superman glide position to work on balance to raise hips/legs and keep head down.

Or two, I stroke one arm back to the inner hip or "pocket" area (amazing how much glide this produces) and end up in a skating position, again to work on balance and streamlining and also lead arm position. All the while exhaling softly continuously. When I need air, just do a breaststroke. It's a funny but fun type of swimming.

Maybe this advice will only work for me, don't know but it is an exercise I am comfortable with and I see much improvement in my swimming. But, I would recommend you purchase the TI DVDs and use Terry's approach, he has it nailed down pretty tight.
Old 05-14-2012

Flanker7
Default Balance

Thanks I can do breaststroke