Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2009

naj
Default Okay I'm an idiot!

Well today I decided to try breathing every two strokes instead of my usual four. And low and behold I had more O2 for my muscles and a lot more speed too. However, I do want to nail lateral breathing down. It seems that every 3 strokes, or one left and then right, would be the optimal...right?

Starting Monday I'm going to focus on weak-side breathing (left) and begin to incorporate bi-lateral by the end of the week if possible. Any drills you all might impart would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-06-2009

gogglesnoseplugs

I am only a beginner here, but I have been working on breathing drills myself. I would possibly suggest stationary breathing, like laying on the surface over a step and working on the smooth head rotation to the weak side, before actually getting back to laps... Just my opinion.
Old 03-06-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Today with fins on I was kicking in a flat, streamline position (kickboard-style without the kickboard). To breathe, I pulled one arm back and rolled to air. The focus for me was taking the breath without disrupting the streamline. The entry took the most attention. The speed and power the fins provide makes it easy to do.

Skating with fins is good. You could work on breathing in a number of different ways. But, yeah, you need fins. heh

BTW, I'm an idiot, too! Ask anyone. 8-P
Old 03-07-2009

naj

Thanks for the advice guys. Shummai, I have fins and do use them in drills but maybe I'll try the nodding experiment that Terry suggests in the "Easy" DVD. If that doesn't work, the fins get strapped on!