Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2009

leo john
Default strained intercostal muscles

Since training T.I. (the last 7 months), I have badly strained intercostal muscles on 3 separate occaissions - first in the chest area, the 2nd -mid left hand side and last weekend lower right hand side. The injuries take weeks to heal and are very painful indeed - and although TI technique feels much better/smoother, these injuries seem to be as a direct result of this different swim technique. I have been swimming most of my life, (I'm 44 now) and have never experienced these problems before. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Many thanks - Leo John.
Old 02-12-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

I think I had a little trouble like that recently. I had discomfort on my right side when I inhaled. It went away after a couple days.

I suspected breaststroke practice was the cause. Or just interval training overall which I had just started recently. I work on five strokes (counting the dolphin), so it would be hard to indict the crawl. Though, around the same time, I was tiling a floor.

Perhaps you are activating different muscles than you used to, swimming more with your body?
Old 02-12-2009

Rhoda

I've never experienced anything like this. Could it be you are exaggerating some aspect of the stroke? You should be relaxed, not forcing anything.
Old 02-12-2009

mjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo john View Post
Since training T.I. (the last 7 months), I have badly strained intercostal muscles on 3 separate occaissions - first in the chest area, the 2nd -mid left hand side and last weekend lower right hand side.
I had thought the intercostal muscles were used only for inspiration and expiration but apparently they are activated when rotating the trunk. See
http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/reprint/72/5/1940.pdf

Most trunk rotation, at least while swimming freestyle, occurs when a swimmer turns to breathe. I would suggest minimizing the trunk rotation by turning your entire torso to breathe, instead of twisting your head, neck, and chest. Look at how Alex Popov takes a breath in the beginning of this video: he's on his side, his head is flat in the water, he takes a quick breath, his head really never leaves a neutral position while his body rotates just enough to clear his shouder. See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjaA0...eature=related

--mjm
Old 02-12-2009

leo john

Thanks for the very useful suggestions and comments concerning intercostal muscle strain - when healed I'll certainly continue practicing T.I. with suggestions in mind.
thanks - leo john