Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2011

haschu33

Mike,

Nice picture of your pool - too bad it closes!
Maybe I manage to make one of mine - got some other 4 weeks for it :)
This weekend the temperature dropped here and it was rainy, but there were long spots with nice sunshine and in that big 50m pool there were only 4 or 5 people, it was really nice.
Old 08-29-2011

haschu33

Terry,

thanks for your good advice. I will try it out. Although - I did in the last months (and actually since I started with freestyle about 2 years ago) sooo much balance and streamlining practice that I believe I don't have major defects in this area, not saying that there is no room for improvement left.

I think my breathing issue is mainly related to the rhythm. In BR I always breathe out quite deeply. A bit as if you are on land, you have build up some tension and you let it out with a long outbreath accompanied by a relaxing 'Ahhh'. It gives me a deep relaxation with each breath. In FR this doesn't work, the rhythm and the stroke action of FR does not allow for it, as you pointed out. I slowly build up more and more tension and don't really manage to release it. The first 10,20 sometimes 30 meters of a lap are always completely ok, very relaxed and just joyful. After that slowly tension builds up and it gets more and more difficult. It is a lot easier now, refining my breathing stroke helped a lot since I don't have to worry about the stroke itself any more. So it is adaptation to the breathing rhythm, I think.
And it is the only explanation for my breathing problems which is left in my understanding.
The main point it seems is not how to release that tension but not to let it built up in the first place.

I didn't expect the breathing to be that difficult and take so much time to get solved. I thought you just work on a good breathing stroke and that's it. But there seems to be more to that.
And I think that people are different in picking up this breathing rhythm, so for some it might be a lot easier and they never really struggle with this. Doesn't seem to be the case with me. But nothing which cannot be solved. It gets more and more nailed down.

Thanks again.

Last edited by haschu33 : 08-29-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-29-2011

Mike from NS
Default exactly the same for me !

Quote:
Originally Posted by haschu33 View Post
...... I slowly build up more and more tension and don't really manage to release it. The first 10,20 sometimes 30 meters of a lap are always completely ok, very relaxed and just joyful. After that slowly tension builds up and it gets more and more difficult.
Haschu,

I'm sure you are more advanced with you ability than I am; but this exactly describes my situation as well. The first 10M for sure (to sometimes 20M) are OK for breathing but after the first breath or the second, the tension increases and breathing is not so smooth. I've practiced skating with deep head placement and with very slow exhale and gentle flutter (with fins) and found I can just about make the 25M without an inhale. In FR, in as relaxed state as I can be, I may take 3 breaths over the 25M length ~ (usually more breaths). I had to reply to your post as what you have experienced is so much the same as I am experiencing as well.

We'll get it eventually!
Mike