Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Breaststroke
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai
Default Gravity Assisted

I've been working on letting gravity return my head to the water. Is that the standard practice? In competition, do swimmers more actively return to streamline?

BTW, how bad is 30 seconds per 25 yards?
Old 01-30-2009

ny1301

Before learning TI, I felt my kick was powerful and SR was high; now I sometimes feel my feet are too high and cannot feel water preasure when kick, ie, as if I am kicking air. For this reason, I cannot comfortably increase my SR in increase speed. But my friend said I am faster than I was (though never timed). I think I am better balanced, but lost some hands/feet coordination.

When I kick, should I have the feeling of 'catch' water? In free style, I feel water preasure when my catch hand is patient; in breaststroke, should I have similar feeling from feet/hands? thanks.

Shuumai, sorry for side tracking your question. I use gravity to return my head to the water, but I am not entitled to answer your question.

Last edited by ny1301 : 01-30-2009 at 04:43 AM.
Old 01-30-2009

daveblt

You should feel the insides of your feet grab the water. Maybe you are kicking directly backwards and not grabbing the water ? You want to feel your palms and insides of forearms anchor in the water from bending your elbows immediately after you scull out to the corners .

Dave
Old 01-30-2009

Jamwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuumai View Post
I've been working on letting gravity return my head to the water. Is that the standard practice?
Why/how are you working on this?
Old 01-30-2009

ny1301

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveblt View Post
You should feel the insides of your feet grab the water. Maybe you are kicking directly backwards and not grabbing the water ? You want to feel your palms and insides of forearms anchor in the water from bending your elbows immediately after you scull out to the corners .

Dave
Thanks Dave. I kick back directly and squeeze my legs together at the same time. My feet just face backwards like "\ /" during the kick. Did you mean I should sequeeze the water between my feet and ended up like "()"? That might be why I heard breaststroke swimmer also need great ankle flexiblity.

I noticed you used the word "anchor". My palms and foreames might also need to be patient. Now if I pull a little bit harder, my head&shoulders come up too high above water, and I feel like paused for a moment. Guess EVF also applies to breast stroke?
Old 01-30-2009

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamwhite View Post
Why/how are you working on this?
I simply recovery my arms and delay the kick until my head sinks below the surface. It slows the cycle down so it takes less energy and I don't seem to dive as much.
Old 01-30-2009

Jamwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuumai View Post
I simply recovery my arms and delay the kick until my head sinks below the surface. It slows the cycle down so it takes less energy and I don't seem to dive as much.
Using gravity never occurred to me for breaststroke, so I played around with this today in the pool and really could not do it. Gravity just does not cause me to sink into the correct position after the outsweep unless I let my chest fall by bending at the waist. Although I found that it is really easy to sit on top of the water if I want (although I get a little bit of leg drag).

For me, the head movement is simply part of the undulation. When i bring my body forward, my head rising up, and when I start my undulation it returns below water. I could not figure out how to do it with gravity, because unlike butterfly, I just do not seem to have enough of me out of the water so that gravity's force is greater than my natural buoyancy.
Old 01-31-2009

daveblt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny1301 View Post
Thanks Dave. I kick back directly and squeeze my legs together at the same time. My feet just face backwards like "\ /" during the kick. Did you mean I should sequeeze the water between my feet and ended up like "()"? That might be why I heard breaststroke swimmer also need great ankle flexiblity.

You do kick back but you turn your toes out to grab the water and then finish by bringing pointed toes back and together

I noticed you used the word "anchor". My palms and foreames might also need to be patient. Now if I pull a little bit harder, my head&shoulders come up too high above water, and I feel like paused for a moment. Guess EVF also applies to breast stroke?

try to think forward as you feel water pressure against your hand and forearms , look down and stay low

Dave
Old 01-31-2009

Rhoda

I've found that doing breast stroke pull with Fistgloves, or even just doing the first 3 or 4 with closed fists, is a great way to really feel my arms anchoring and the abdominal muscles sliding my body forward.
Old 01-31-2009

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamwhite View Post
Using gravity never occurred to me for breaststroke, so I played around with this today in the pool and really could not do it. Gravity just does not cause me to sink into the correct position after the outsweep unless I let my chest fall by bending at the waist. Although I found that it is really easy to sit on top of the water if I want (although I get a little bit of leg drag).

For me, the head movement is simply part of the undulation. When i bring my body forward, my head rising up, and when I start my undulation it returns below water. I could not figure out how to do it with gravity, because unlike butterfly, I just do not seem to have enough of me out of the water so that gravity's force is greater than my natural buoyancy.
In this case, it helps if you lack buoyancy the way I do. heh

I attached a series of images that show the change in body position as the upper body sinks and the legs begin to kick. There is in fact a bending at the hips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg breatstroke_recovery.jpg (35.9 KB, 61 views)