Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2009

RadSwim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny1301 View Post
Will tempo trainer help to correct this?
Yes, the tempo trainer is one of the tools that I used to finally rid myself of the "TI pause." Changing my timing from TI traditional to EVF also helped.

If you have the Easy Freestyle DVD, watch Terry's right hand.

Good luck,
RadSwim
Old 02-04-2009

AWP
Default ? timing

Changing my timing from TI traditional to EVF also helped.

If you have the Easy Freestyle DVD, watch Terry's right hand.

Good luck,
RadSwim[/quote]

Rad,
Can you elaborate on this notion of timing? I don't have EF dvd, what 's up w/the hand? Thanks
Old 02-05-2009

RadSwim

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWP View Post
Can you elaborate on this notion of timing?
In traditional TI timing, we focus on body rotation in relationship to the activity of the recovering hand. In overswitch, one of the goals is learn to drive our entering hand forward using body rotation (synonyms are spearing, core drive and hip drive). The pause-at-the-ear maneuver allows us prepare for the hip drive to spear our recovering arm though the mail slot and to our clock position. The pause-at-the-ear maneuver is effective, but I found it very difficult to remove from my stroke. What happens to the opposite hand and forearm -- at some point during the spear, we learn to catch and anchor (synonym is "not pull"). At least when I am swimming this way, I have my body rotated 30 - 45 degrees toward my entering arm and away from my catching arm.

I think that those of us who have gotten this timing right enjoy the benefit of "harnessing core power" or "swimming with our core."

The problem came when I analyzed video of my swimming technique with a goal of swimming faster. I found that my catch was not optimal: my elbow was deep and not flexed and tended to drop. It didn't look anything like Grant Hackett or the other early vertical forearm (EVF) swimmers.

In some dryland work in front of the mirror, I found that I could not perform an EVF if my body was rotated away from my catching arm, as it was with traditional TI timing. I could only get my forearm vertical if my body was flat in the initial phase of the catch. Therefore, I had to learn different timing that would get my body flat earlier.

The key elements in learning EVF timing:
1. Uncouple body rotation and hand entry -- stop thinking about it -- that made it easier to unlearn the "TI pause," as well.
2. Shift focus to the catching arm rather than the recovering arm.
3. Goal is to initiate core rotation (hip drive) earlier, so that my torso is flat as I initiate the catch, which occurs at some time after hand entry. The key is coupling body rotation with catch and letting the entering arm take care of itself.

It turns out that I end up initiating each stroke with core muscle activity that starts my body roll and drives my entering hand to a more forward mail slot at a much shallower angle -- but that is a result rather than a focus point or goal. My focus is on what my catch is like -- internally rotate my shoulder and flex my elbow (catch) BEFORE I adduct my shoulder and depress my scapula (pull, or anchor if you inist). Focal point is getting my fingers pointing at the bottom of the pool while my elbow is still above my head and near the surface.

As I have written previously, it took weeks of drills and muscle building to develop my EVF -- but it has been worth it!

RadSwim
Old 02-05-2009

AWP

Rad,
Thanks for your explanation.
I just had video shot of me on Monday and am eager to see what's going on as well. I'll try and post it here. Will you do the same? Interesting stuff.

I too found that in raising my entry point to a shallower yet still "mailslot" entry I was able to speed things up. Interested to see how this has affected my catch and overall balance.