Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2010

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai
Default 2-bk in mens 200 free

In this video at 2:43 it seems that the swimmer in lane 8 starts the 200m freestyle race with a 2-beat kick. Unexpected and almost unnoticed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDHPzA7KGhM
Old 01-11-2010

Richardsk

Hi Shuumai

The swimmer in Lane 8 is Rick Say of Canada. He finished 6th in 1:47.55. He definitely took the first couple of strokes with a two-beat kick. It's hard to say after that because understandably the cameras focus mainly on the center lanes. I would guess that it is unusual for anybody at a high level to sprint with a two-beat, but I believe I have read of someone who even did the 100m with one.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olym...ts/3535114.stm
Old 01-11-2010

atreides

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuumai View Post
In this video at 2:43 it seems that the swimmer in lane 8 starts the 200m freestyle race with a 2-beat kick. Unexpected and almost unnoticed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDHPzA7KGhM
Wasn't there a women cited in this blog that actually won an Olympic freestyle race with a two beat kick? Could the Canadian have tried to establish his kick timing by starting out with the 2BK. Last month I tried swiming with a flutter and it felt like that I was actually slower. There seemed to be lots of drag. Has anybody tried using 2BK timing doing a 4 or 6 beat kick. The way I would envision it would be that you kick consecutively twice for 4BK or 3 times for 6BK on each leg. This would ensure that your kick is synchronized with your pull and rotation. I don't see any of the Olympians doing this. Is it just a coordinational nightmare?
Old 01-11-2010

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreides View Post
Wasn't there a women cited in this blog that actually won an Olympic freestyle race with a two beat kick?
Women do seem to use the 2-bk much more than men at the Olympic level. For distances of less 400m or less, I thought it was exclusively women who use it.

In the video it seems that Rick Say does use the 2-bk during the race when viewed from above. It's so small and pixelated that I could be wrong. Of course, the 6-bk is always used for the finial push.

One thing that I noticed about the kick is that it's narrow and compact.
Old 01-11-2010

Grant

Laure Manadou of France won and medaled using the 2 beat kick in several races in the Athens olympics. Watching her races and they are available on youtube provided me the best and longest look at a magnificently executed 2BK.
Old 01-11-2010

Richardsk

Hello

From watching video of Laure Manaudou on youtube I concluded that she used a two-beat kick for her 400m and 800m races (and presumably for the 1500m) but the 6-beat kick for the 200m. She also seemed to do a little flurry of six-beat off the turn in the longer races. She used a fairly fast turnover. A delight to watch and worth watching over and over. She is now married (or at least partnered, I'm not sure which) to Fred Bousquet and is either expecting or has already had a baby. She has retired from competitive swimming but Fred hasn't, fortunately.
Old 01-11-2010
Coach

CoachJohnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsk View Post
Hello

From watching video of Laure Manaudou on youtube I concluded that she used a two-beat kick for her 400m and 800m races (and presumably for the 1500m) but the 6-beat kick for the 200m. She also seemed to do a little flurry of six-beat off the turn in the longer races. She used a fairly fast turnover. A delight to watch and worth watching over and over. She is now married (or at least partnered, I'm not sure which) to Fred Bousquet and is either expecting or has already had a baby. She has retired from competitive swimming but Fred hasn't, fortunately.
Freddie Bousquet has one of the most beautiful freestyles to watch. I doubt many on here would agree but from a competive standpoint, his stroke has made him one of the elite sprinters in the world. He gives up 4 to 6 inches on the majority of world class sprinters, since he is only about 6'2. Most range from 6'4 to 6'8.
Old 01-11-2010

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsk View Post
[Laure Manaudou] used a fairly fast turnover.
I think it's common for women to have a faster turn-over than men. Also, the turnover is faster with the 2-bk.