Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2009
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default 2010 TI Coaches Manual Excerpt #3

This is the third in a series of excerpts I promised to post here for critique and feedback of the ideas and manner of expressing it. I was extremely pleased with the quality of input on the 1st excerpt and know the final document will benefit from your contributions.

Does Swimming “Work?”
Millions would like to swim well, but true competence is almost unknown. Here, competence means: (1) The more you practice, the better you swim; (2) You can swim for as long as you like; you only stop because you’ve run out of time; and (3) You hate to stop because swimming feels so good, physically and psychically.

Instead, only 2 percent of Americans can swim a quarter-mile continuously—equivalent to walking a mile. And at least 60 percent of American adults—i.e. over 100 million—are fearful of deep water. This reflects a fundamental fact that any swimming coach or teacher must understand: Humans were not designed, by evolutionary biology, to swim: (1) Fear of drowning (choking, sinking) is nearly universal; (2) The human brain is “programmed” for terra firma; and (3) The human body is designed to maximize drag and turbulence.

There are four basic activities you can do in a pool or other body of water:
• Relaxation/Recreation
• Lessons
• Fitness/Exercise
• Training/Competing

Of the four, only recreational swimming “works.” This is because no skill is required and there is no doctrine about the “right” way to do it. By most quality standards the other three must be judged miserable failures.
• Most adult lesson-takers experience frustration or a sense of failure. For most, “success” means not drowning. Swimming even a lap or two is so challenging that swimming a mile or in open water seem inconceivable.
• The great majority of lap swimmers have achieved “terminal mediocrity.” Improvement, even the expectation of improvement is rare, as is any sense of goals. Most “follow the black line” or imitate competitive swimmers.
• Competitive swimmers experience injury, burnout or attrition at rates exceeding 50 percent. Most would rather do anything but swim after “retiring.”

Thus our collective mission is to be a Driver of Change in swimming – using our teaching skills to bring hope, clarity of purpose, and improvement to individual swimmers and our knowledge, passion, and communication skills to spread an optimistic and sensible paradigm of improvement-minded swimming to our communities. TI Teacher Training will prepare you to do both.

The change we intend is based on two simple, but groundbreaking, ideas that will strike most who hear them as revolutionary:

The Prevailing Paradigm Two fundamental ideas about swimming have been universally accepted and virtually unchallenged for as long as swimming has been taught or coached:
• The essential action of swimming is pulling and kicking.
• You improve at swimming by training the body.

The Emerging Paradigm In recent years, a small group of swimmers and coaches have begun to think and teach in ways that make improvement routine, rather than rare:
• The essential action of swimming is “active streamlining.” Pulling and kicking still happen, but are subordinate to--and become more effective--when you minimize drag first.
• You improve at swimming–skill, endurance, speed and enjoyment –by training the brain. Aerobic training still happens, but all teaching and training decisions should be based on an understanding of how the brain learns tasks, rather than how the body metabolizes energy.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 02-25-2010

daveblt

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashingpat View Post
88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888 88888888
When I swam in a lake
I am not sure what I did n't like
the BIG FISH, SNAKES OR THE DEPTH

When I was a kid I did n't care....
then I got( grew )old
that's what happens . . . i guess!

Got old ? nah , The fountain of youth is in your swimming pool ! It seems the the more I swim the younger I get !

Dave
Old 02-25-2010

Edd78

I have only a very modest suggestion with this segment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
This reflects a fundamental fact that any swimming coach or teacher must understand: Humans were not designed, by evolutionary biology, to swim:
I would add "efficiently" here, because most people can still swim naturally (ie without any teaching) in a dog like manner (I had in mind baby swimmers). I don't think it would weaken your following arguments.

I would also favor "propulsion" vs "the essential activity" for clarity (in the paradigm end section). Maybe you could also talk in this section about the dogma on sinking legs being linked to a deficiency in kicking (vs your equlibrium approach and always keeping an arm in the frontal quadrant).

Last edited by Edd78 : 02-25-2010 at 11:12 AM.