Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Discuss Terry's Blog Posts
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2010

Ken B
Default Question for Terry

Terry, when you transition from fresh water to salt water do you notice the difference in buoyancy? If so do you have to adjust your stroke to accomodate it, for instance balance and breathing?

Ken
Old 02-10-2010

ewa.swimmer
Default Not Terry

I'm not Terry and probably have more natural bouyancy but I do have a lot of experience in making that switch. This past weekend I swam in the ocean for 4 days straight including one race. Now I'm back in the pool. I notice the difference more going to the pool from the ocean. I have to change my "y-coordinate" so I spear to a lower point in the pool. I really have to think about making the change or my stroke seems horrible. Going from pool to ocean doesn't seem to bother me as much. I seem to naturally go into a shallower spear.

For breathing you need to be more adaptable in the ocean. The chop may be coming from one direction. That makes bilateral breathing indespensible. Sometimes the chop makes you roll a little more to get a breath. You also can't breathe all your air out. Sometimes you get a mouth full of water instead of air, you need to have a least a little reserve.

Last edited by ewa.swimmer : 02-10-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-22-2010

shark@ttack
Default credited

i want to credit my club under of ti team. what will i do to tap the TI team to undergo train or how to get the license the TI way?
thanks and more power!

TI FUN...jose
Old 02-22-2010

naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
Terry, when you transition from fresh water to salt water do you notice the difference in buoyancy? If so do you have to adjust your stroke to accomodate it, for instance balance and breathing?

Ken
Ken there is an obvious difference and I agree with EWA, I have to make adjustments when I go to fresh water because more often than not I train in salt water year round. But I find that I have to concentrate more on my lead hand holding the water in fresh rather than salt, but that's just me.