Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-03-2016
jboosted92

UPDATES!

While not great, i am making it 25 meters at about 50% less tiredness, and made it 50 meters yesterday! ( woohoo) pathetic i know :)

So i know my breathing is one of my limited factors. i was attempting the skating drills, and even this one --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0ePIQb7bXw

No matter what i do, i cannot stay on the surface in this manner (total immersion or this guy Robb)

I have tried the following:

1. Push armpit down more
2. variable degrees - 90-45
3. push forearm/hand shoulder in different positions

it would "SEEM" that if i can do this drill well, it would in a major way help my breathing, because i could significantly slow down

Sidenote: ive started bi-lateral breathing as well...it actullay seems easier to catch a breath on 3rd stroke...(not sure if thats a good thing to continue at this point)

Thank you all in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBobM View Post
The two things that affect whether your hips are sinking are:

1) Your head position: Have you relaxed your head into the water with your nose pointing down?

2) The position of your leading arm: You want the wrist of your leading arm to be lower than your shoulder and you want your palm turned down and your fingertips angled slightly down. You need to experiment with how low your leading arm needs to be to bring your hips up so they're level with your shoulders.

In freestyle, you want to be going back and forth between your skate position on one side and your skate position on the other side. The switch drills in the TI training materials (spearswitch, swingswitch, overswitch) are designed to teach you to coordinate your body roll with your armstroke and recovery, and to perfect your catch. A lack of body roll doesn't really create drag - you will just end up relying purely on arm strength instead of drawing on your core body to power your stroke.

Breathing every 3rd stroke is definitely better than breathing every other stroke, provided that you are getting enough air, since this will force you to alternate breathing sides, thereby making your stroke more symmetric. If you find that you're not getting enough air that way, another alternative is to breathe on your right side on one length of the pool and breathe on your left side on the next length, and so on.

Bob