Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012

kalinma
Default drill for bilateral breathing

This thread seems to have become almost a debate on whether it's better to breathe bilaterally or not. For those who would like to try bilateral breathing, as I would after I get other elements of my technique together, the following video presents an excellent drill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v5IH...eature=related
Old 07-09-2012

Richardsk

Must try that one next time. I suspect that it's not as easy as it looks, though.
Old 07-09-2012

Donal F

I'm guessing that swimmer has a very propulsive kick, so one might want to try that drill while wearing small fins.
Old 07-09-2012

Richardsk

I was right. It's not as easy as it looks. I definitely haven't got a very propulsive kick but I can't use fins because the pool doesn't allow them in public sessions. I can get a somewhat similar result by breathing less frequently while swimming whole stroke. Perhaps with practice I'll be able to do this drill.
Old 10-07-2012

kalinma
Default It all points back to TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalinma View Post
I tried this drill again today after quite a long time since my first attempt. The first time I tried it, I couldn't do it at all. Today, I could do the drill for almost 20 metres. Found that I must be coming up for air because I sink back down when I return my face and recovering arm to the water and felt quite unbalanced, nothing like the guy in the video who breathes and returns to what we call Superman Glide, then breathes on the other side and returns to SG, for an entire length of the pool and makes it look easy. So it's back to focusing on breathing and balance with the help of my TI video. Somehow, that does not surprise me. Need to look at this from a positive angle in that I know what my weakness is now and what to work on.
Old 10-08-2012
Coach

CoachToddE

Quote:
I tried this drill again today after quite a long time since my first attempt. The first time I tried it, I couldn't do it at all. Today, I could do the drill for almost 20 metres. Found that I must be coming up for air because I sink back down when I return my face and recovering arm to the water and felt quite unbalanced, nothing like the guy in the video who breathes and returns to what we call Superman Glide, then breathes on the other side and returns to SG, for an entire length of the pool and makes it look easy. So it's back to focusing on breathing and balance with the help of my TI video. Somehow, that does not surprise me. Need to look at this from a positive angle in that I know what my weakness is now and what to work on.
Kalinma,

The guy in the video keeps his head very still and only turns it to the side leaving the other side of head completely in contact with the water, hence your reference to the swimmer leaving his head in the superman glide position. That position of the head is what you should be trying to achieve the entire time you are swimming.

I recently was introduced to a good drill to help you with the problem of lifting your head while out at a TI Teacher and Master Teacher Training Course in Aug 2012. Coach Suzanne introduced the drill. It called the Nod, one-eye (or whale eye), popeye mouth breathe. You first start by practicing the nod while you are swimming a lenght of the pool or until you need air. The nod is turning your head to the side so you cann see underwater (with both eyes) the lane next to you or the swimmers/bottom whatever is there. Everytime you would breathe to either the left or right you'd use the nod, keeping the head in alignment with the body/spine in the water. Practice this several lengths or until you can do this without feeling you are trying to pick you head up. You can master one side first and then come back and work on the other side or possibly try both alternating lengths and sides. Again, once your comfortable with the nod, move on to the one-eye. Here you only turn your slightly more until you have one goggle out of the water and the other still under the surface. Now you can incorporate incorporate the nod one time with a one-eye the next and so on. Again after you feel comfortable that you are not lifting your head your ready to add the breath. So you'd nod once, then one-eye, then popeye breath. Popeye breath is the same as you may have seen the cartoon popeye when he eats his can of spinach. He turns his mouth (scrunches) it to the side the can is on or in this case the side the air is on. Some may not remember popeye so another visual might be to think of 'cigar mouth' like when you see someone smoking a cigar holding it in the side of their mouth. Try not to turn the head much more than when you were doing the one-eye. If you can do this you have succeeded in ridding yourself of the habit of lifting your head to breathe.

Hope this wasn't too confusing but it is a very effective drill for perfecting your breathing.
Old 12-20-2012

zenkitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachToddE View Post
Kalinma,

The guy in the video keeps his head very still and only turns it to the side leaving the other side of head completely in contact with the water, hence your reference to the swimmer leaving his head in the superman glide position. That position of the head is what you should be trying to achieve the entire time you are swimming.

I recently was introduced to a good drill to help you with the problem of lifting your head while out at a TI Teacher and Master Teacher Training Course in Aug 2012. Coach Suzanne introduced the drill. It called the Nod, one-eye (or whale eye), popeye mouth breathe. You first start by practicing the nod while you are swimming a lenght of the pool or until you need air. The nod is turning your head to the side so you cann see underwater (with both eyes) the lane next to you or the swimmers/bottom whatever is there. Everytime you would breathe to either the left or right you'd use the nod, keeping the head in alignment with the body/spine in the water. Practice this several lengths or until you can do this without feeling you are trying to pick you head up. You can master one side first and then come back and work on the other side or possibly try both alternating lengths and sides. Again, once your comfortable with the nod, move on to the one-eye. Here you only turn your slightly more until you have one goggle out of the water and the other still under the surface. Now you can incorporate incorporate the nod one time with a one-eye the next and so on. Again after you feel comfortable that you are not lifting your head your ready to add the breath. So you'd nod once, then one-eye, then popeye breath. Popeye breath is the same as you may have seen the cartoon popeye when he eats his can of spinach. He turns his mouth (scrunches) it to the side the can is on or in this case the side the air is on. Some may not remember popeye so another visual might be to think of 'cigar mouth' like when you see someone smoking a cigar holding it in the side of their mouth. Try not to turn the head much more than when you were doing the one-eye. If you can do this you have succeeded in ridding yourself of the habit of lifting your head to breathe.

Hope this wasn't too confusing but it is a very effective drill for perfecting your breathing.
For the first time I tried bilateral breathing, even though my breathing on my 'good' side needs lots of work. Here is what I discovered for myself:
-it allowed me to stop holding my breath that I discovered I was doing.
-it broke my over-thinking of my technique
-I could actually get one goggle in the water and breath like a pirate..you know, saying aaarrgg...
-I didn't feel so breathless.
-it caused me to rotate more and not swim flat
-and I did better on the left than my right, which is where I did all of my breathing.

Last edited by zenkitty : 12-20-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-14-2013

saadbox13

Quote:
Thank you for this video, I am finally making some progress!!!