Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMM View Post
I mostly wanted to create public accountability for myself! :-)
Great idea. I've made that choice often myself, with the most risky occasion being early in 2006, just before my 55th birthday, when I posted that my goal for the year was to win one or more USMS Open Water championships, break one or more national age records and win a medal in Masters World
Championships--pretty audacious stuff for a guy with a long history of not much distinction as an athlete. Six months later I'd accomplished all.

You've received much good advice here. I'll offer up a bit from experience. For weight loss, I'd advocate you emphasize dietary changes - Andy's advice on minimizing sugars, simple carbs and starches is right on. But for your swimming, rather than thinking of burning calories, focus solely on:
1) Continuously improving your form, feel and self-awareness.
2) Doing what makes you happiest. For me that has been creating the transcendent moments known as Flow States.

When I achieved my performance goals in 2006, it was by pursuing those two goals. Going faster was a natural outcome of doing that.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 08-08-2012

BradMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
But for your swimming, rather than thinking of burning calories, focus solely on:
1) Continuously improving your form, feel and self-awareness.
2) Doing what makes you happiest. For me that has been creating the transcendent moments known as Flow States.
I've been educating myself on diet, nutrition and exercise for the past 12 years. In fact, I'm currently working on NASM CPT. What I find is that I'm drawn back to the pool for the very reasons you mentioned... that's what makes me the happiest! I recently read an article that states, regardless of body fat (to a point, I'm sure), REGULAR AEROBIC EXERCISE is the biggest determinant of "health" which, at age 58, is my primary concern.

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article....ticleid=209641

So, my body may not look like it's 29 anymore but I'm much happier working on my swimming than stressing over a few pounds. I believe I stated before that we have eaten very well for years, we know how to do that, and I can always tweak that to make it a little better by simply PUSHING AWAY FROM THE TABLE sooner but, overall, my life feels more full by doing just what Terry suggested. I get glimpses of that flow state and want to be able to capture it longer and more often.

Thanks!