Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Discuss Terry's Blog Posts
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2012

Mike from NS
Default "Value the Process"

In the Freestyle section and in reply to FrustratedStephen in the thread "Reactions to TI", we were directed to "Love the Plateau" and "It's Not a Plateau but a Crossroads".

There are many things that make learning to swim as an adult very challenging, however one thing I find helpful as an adult learning something that is generally learned as a child is the ability to clearly recall the plateaus. These serve as benchmarks of my progress. They are part of the process. As stated prior, my swimming story began only about 5 years ago at 54. The first few months could clearly label me as a "Dabbler". The frustration level was so high that I wondered what I was doing. However, not being a quitter, I usually looked forward to the next chance to give it another try. As time went on I actually started progressing ever so slightly. I started to recognize reaching plateaus and recall the thrill of finally exceeding them. I had to "cheat" through the adoption of fins as my best buddies. Looking back I couldn't have reached the present point of my "ability" curve without them. Now the problem is that I have a heavy dependence upon them - my security blanket of sorts.

In the past few pool visits I've expanded on the number of fin free lengths. I'm launching off another plateau !! It was at the end of the summer out door pool season where I started the launch with a length or two. I'm now at 10 or more for each pool visit. But the current pool is about twice the depth of the summer pool. Since building confidence is part of my journey, this deeper pool is a factor. Silly isn't it ! What I'm getting at here is the aspect in the blog about "Value the Process". The process shows us progression! And seeing this progression is something I value ... and the learning process to attain that progression.

And a side "story".....
Yesterday while skiing, it began snowing. Riding the chairlift I had a clear visual of what separating water molecules might be like if we could see that. As the snow flakes fell I separated them for a clearer path. Yes, that's a stretch -- but it came to mind and it was a visual I took to the pool today !

Mike
Old 01-06-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from NS View Post

And a side "story".....
Yesterday while skiing, it began snowing. Riding the chairlift I had a clear visual of what separating water molecules might be like if we could see that. As the snow flakes fell I separated them for a clearer path. Yes, that's a stretch -- but it came to mind and it was a visual I took to the pool today !

Mike
This is great...I don't know if there is a specific name for this type of learning (if not there should be), but bringing experiences from one sport or activity into others can really help people learn new movements or concepts more easily. I will use the snowflake analogy with my students durign the winter months. :)

The other day one of my students shared a skateboard analogy with me...something he was doing in the water reminded him of the sakteboarding movements and it was teh bridge that allowed me to connect what I wanted him to learn with what he'd already experienced.

Thanks for the story!
Fresh Freestyle

Old 01-06-2012

Mike from NS
Default Lots of ways to learn .......

Glad you got something out of my little story Suzanne ... skiing in a snow storm is always lots of fun.

Two major elements that help me learn are 1) knowing "the why"... why we need a certain bit of info and how it will aid in the process; and 2) analogies to which I can relate. The skateboarder was able to relate one thing to another. Sometimes we learn from the most unexpected sources -- as long as we always have an open mind to recognize potential similarities. Maybe this is called "mental cross-training" ?
Mike
Old 01-12-2012

tab

Mike, I do the same thing, comparisons, sometimes they may be a stretch but it is the idea of similarities that strike me. In my line of work, construction I have to climb ladders, a lot. I find myself thinking climbing this ladder is like swimming, the only thing missing is the glide. X-country skiing is another similar comparison, but it has the gliding sensation.

And one parting and very deep comparison, space and time, the quantum effect. Can we swim through a brick wall?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeFuc-qFKoA