Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2016

scribe3
Default Breathing

In the past, while swimming freestyle, I have always inhaled and exhaled through my mouth only. I was just wondering is this the best way to breathe?.
Old 09-12-2016

WFEGb

Hello scribe3,

if you feel it as your best way and there is no problem to hold balance and streamline, why not? Although exhaling through nose and mouth with relaxed face may help to relax a little bit more over all...

Best regards,
Werner
Old 09-12-2016

scribe3
Default Breathing

I am a newbie, and I have been having problems, with breathing. So, I decided to start exhaling through my nose, instead of inhaling and exhaling through my mouth.

I will take your advice the next I am at the pool, an attempt to exhale through my mouth and nose at the same time,

-Thanks
Old 09-15-2016

novaswimmer

For me, exhaling through the nose and inhaling through the mouth has been the best way for me to regulate my breathing. But everyone is different.

I usually save the last bit of breath to forcefully exhale through my nose as my head rotates up for air. This keeps water out of my nose as I turn my head.

The longer I practice this, the easier it comes. But it has taken a LOT of practice. For me, breathing in freestyle has been the biggest challenge (vs say, stroke technique). And what makes it harder is that every aspect of freestyle is interrelated. Breathing affects posture, posture affects breathing and stroke technique, stroke technique can affect posture and breathing!

Last edited by novaswimmer : 09-16-2016 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-16-2016

scribe3
Default breathing

In regard, to your comment about posture, I agree that breathing and posture go hand and hand, one think I have noticed is if I exhale too much air my core will release and my posture will be compromised.

Exhaling through my nose has really helped me feel more relaxed in the water during a swim.
Old 09-16-2016

novaswimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribe3 View Post
In regard, to your comment about posture, I agree that breathing and posture go hand and hand, one think I have noticed is if I exhale too much air my core will release and my posture will be compromised.

Exhaling through my nose has really helped me feel more relaxed in the water during a swim.
I know that if I release too much air too early, and have to end up holding my breath for seconds too long, I begin to 'panic' and scramble to try to bring my head up for air. Not good, as then the stroke falls apart, legs drop, etc.! LOL!