Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Breaststroke
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2015
lykthomas

Default Critique my breaststroke?

Hello all,
I've been trying to improve my breaststroke from watching the "Breaststroke for Every Body" DVD. Any comments would be very helpful. Thanks!

https://youtu.be/-wqSH767ygU
Old 12-08-2015

jenson1a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lykthomas View Post
Hello all,
I've been trying to improve my breaststroke from watching the "Breaststroke for Every Body" DVD. Any comments would be very helpful. Thanks!

https://youtu.be/-wqSH767ygU
Don't know anything about breaststroke, but want to give your post a bump for someone to see it. Curious what the comments would be. Hope someone replies for you

Sherry
Old 12-08-2015

Richardsk

Hello lykthomas

The main thing I can see is that you seem to pause before the lunge. I think the hands should accelerate into the 'prayer' position and then immediately shoot forward into the glide. You can pause briefly in the glide because that is the position with least drag.

Your kick seems quite good to me, bur could perhaps be a bit narrower, which seems to be the modern trend. There is a very good video on youtube of Rebecca Soni demonstrating the modern kick.

I'm not sure if this is the one I was thinking of but it definitely shows a good kick
and a nice arm action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsAJoVshj7A
Old 12-08-2015

Richardsk

After another look, I think your kick is narrow enough. Your head position is also good, I think. All in all I think it's very promising, Maybe more expert persons will give advice,

Last edited by Richardsk : 12-08-2015 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-08-2015

Janos

If you are training for speed, there really has to be a more dynamic extension of the arms. Opening of the arms is slow and controlled, as it should be.
Your balance position is good during the glide, but body seems stiff when you break profile. Your legs drop in a diagonal line with your body creating a tremendous amount of drag when you raise your body for a breath, also, your feet are creating a lot of drag too, they really should be streamlined, and not hanging down when gliding after propulsive phase.
I think you need to be more flexible in your lower back going for air enabling the legs to remain behind the torso and reduce drag before you kick. The timing of starting the kick process is crucial to maintain momentum and speed too.
Old 12-10-2015

daveblt

Overall looks like an evolving stroke and you are nice and streamlined during the glide but here are some things I would change... As you stretch in to streamline, lean in to the water with your chest to feel the water support you and then pitch your hands out slowly instead of them just facing the bottom at the end of the streamline so you can start preparing for the sweep out. Keep leaning on your chest as your hands sweep out. Also , don't breathe at the beginning of the pull , wait towards the end of the pull to initiate the breath.

Dave

Last edited by daveblt : 12-18-2015 at 11:53 PM.