Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2012

russellw
Default Recovery - Elbow Lead

Hi all,

Just wondered if you guys have any “visual” ideas as to how to lead with the elbow during recovery.

I am having trouble bringing the elbow forward on the recovery – on dry land its fine, but when i try in the water, it just doesn’t happen !

Also, any ideas on relaxing during the recovery also ???

Thanks

Russ
Old 03-14-2012
Coach

CoachNoel
Default Recovery - lead elbow

My thoughts:
1. Leading with the elbow is the key visual for a relaxed arm recovery. Leading with the elbow means a relaxed hand and forearm. You have noted that you have practiced on dry land but when you take it to the pool, "it does not happen".

2. As you have noted, a relaxed arm recovery can be practiced on land. I recommend you imprint this move deeper with more dry land rehearsal. Perhaps when you get to the water, your hand takes over and you hand goes up and the elbow goes down.

3. While you learning, you can practice the recovery in two stages. First, lift and swing the elbow forward; second, aim your hand forward along the track to the target as you spear forward. After you have rehearsed on land, take it to the pool.

4. In the skate position, practice the elbow lift and swing before trying a switch. Do you switches one at a time to insure you are doing the recovery correctly.
Old 03-14-2012

CoachToby

Russ. As CoachNoel noted, the key to getting the elbow to lead the recovery is relaxation and achieving stability in skater position. If you're not comfortable the recovering arm will become tense and you will find leading with the elbow very difficult. Try practising zen skate keeping the recovering arm mostly under water. This will help with relaxation and allow you to focus on relaxing the forearm and hand. You can then gradually work on lifting the elbow higher.

Toby Haddock
TI Coach Brighton UK
Old 03-15-2012

russellw

Many thanks for the advice – will take it to the pool today.
One thing, however, is how does one initiate the elbow for the recovery. Noel, i think you are right when you mention that my hand and forearm takes over – this certainly happens to me. I try to relax the hand but the wrist and forearm still feel as if they are recovering and not the elbow.
When i try to moved the elbow forward, it seems as if my shoulder initiates the move ?? Is this a feeling correct ??? I have read (and on the DVD from Terry), that one should swing the elbow out and not up. As i stay, if i do this it feels as if my shoulder starts the recovery – and then when i try in full stroke, the elbow does not lead at all.
I guess its practice, practice and more practice !
Thanks for your thoughts !