Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2012

eileen.m.b@gmail.com
Default My freestyle form

I am a relatively new TI swimmer.

Just yesterday, I was able to get a video of my form.

I would love to get some critique and feedback from all you experienced TI swimmers.

Here's the link: http://youtu.be/KiCPDvqDYkY

Thanks in advance!

Eileen

I
Old 03-30-2012

daveblt

Lets start with head position . Your head is a little too high . Look down more and keep and keep your head and neck relaxed and press in to the water more with the upper half of your body to help with balance. You are also lifting your head and turning it too much when you breathe . Your arm entry is too narrow and to near your head ,try to enter your hand in front of the shoulder instead. The same for your recovery , when you recover widen out the recovery to help with lateral stability and keep the hand just over the surface on breathing and non breathing strokes. Eventually this will also help get the stroke a bit less noisy and splashy . Looking good.

Dave

Last edited by daveblt : 03-30-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-30-2012

ashby

You've got a really large knee bend which you're using to kick-start your stroke. That will add a lot of drag, try and keep your legs straighter and kick from the hip! :)
Old 03-30-2012

eileen.m.b@gmail.com

Dave,
Thanks for your comments. I figured as much regarding head position - I'm still working really hard on trying to be relaxed and to look straight down. I also think I'm turning my head too much to breathe -- trying to work on that too.

I'm not sure what you mean by the arm entry too narrow - can you explain further?

Ashby,
Thanks also for your comments - I haven't given much thought to my kick. I went from a six beat to a two beat a couple months ago - that really helped me calm down and focus more on my form. I have weak hip flexors, so I always warm up with some back balance drills - but still need some work here too I guess.

Any other areas for me to think about? :)
Old 03-30-2012
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Eileen,

Nice alignment and balance, relaxed stroke, patient lead hand especially for being self-coached, nice work! I'll add a bit more to what Dave and Ashby noted. Some over rotation, elbow coming over center of body, especially on right side. And you have a little hand flick over the hip (at 00:23) - that comes from traditional stroke. Balance drills are most helpful at this stage, especially right/left skate postions. Add in swing-skate and swing-switch to imprint wide elbows, and feel weight in front of your lungs. Elbows need to swing out like a gate away from your body (and not over body). Lastly, to make sure your hand is not high "painting the rainbow" on recovery arm during whole stroke; drag fingertips/hands on recovery each and every stroke as you swing elbow wide. The water on the front of the recovery hand is immediate feedback of both position and speed of recovery of the arm/hand.

Keep up the good work and Happy Swimming!

Stuart
MindBodyAndSWIM

Last edited by CoachStuartMcDougal : 03-30-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-31-2012

WFEGb

Hallo Eileen,

2cts from an other TI newbie: It seems to me when spearing within your very smooth stroke (jealous about...) your palms are showing a bit to front and will produce some drag. If understood right the fingers should be relaxed and point down, hand should be below elbow and elbow below shoulder.

Best regards,
Werner
Old 03-31-2012

daveblt

[quote=eileen.m.b@gmail.com;27344]Dave,
Thanks for your comments.

I'm not sure what you mean by the arm entry too narrow - can you explain further?

Try to enter your hand into the water inline in front of the shoulder and not close to your head . In other words widen out your entry .

Dave
Old 03-31-2012

Butiki

Lots of good stuff going on, i.e. switch timing is pretty good, hardly a splash in the water, 2BK timing is good, and pretty much all the TI essentials are there.

But as others have mentioned:
  • lifting the head a little during the breathe
  • over-rotation - I see the hips getting stacked (vertical) and the knees pointed to the side
  • head turns to ceiling for a breathe - that's too much of a turn
  • kicking from the knee instead of from the hips
  • arm recovery is hand-oriented, need marionette drills or finger-dragging drill
  • Not too sure about this (can't see very well underwater) but it seems like you're dropping the elbow on the catch

You'd probably benefit from the swim-and-nod drill to minimize the head turning. Try the "hip nudge" instead of "hip drive" to correct over-rotation. As well, when doing the skating drill, just rotate enough from the SG position to get off your tummy. Don't focus on knees for the kick, instead focus on core/hips driving the toe flick - the knee bend will occur naturally.
Old 04-01-2012
Coach

CoachNoel
Default recommendations

Eileen,

I would focus first on your arm recovery & arm spear forward. I think you will make a big improvement as you improve the way you pick up your arm and spear it forward. I recommend you drill the following.
(1) Use the finger tip drag drill to imprint a low hand / high elbow position. Remember that every stroke starts and finishes in the skate position. Start the arm recovery by just lifting and swinging the elbow to the side. Slow down for this drill. Drag the fingers as if they were a paint brush and the water is the canvas. The forearm stays relaxed until you aim your hand forward. If you start the arm recovery right you will be in position to spear forward correctly.
(2) Remember to spear forward straight ahead of each shoulder. Go back and look at your video. You'll see that the hands spears to a spot in front of the head and then swings back out shoulder wide. I am saying, spear straight down the RR track. Slide your hand, wrist, elbow, and shoulder through the same 'hole' in the water.
(3) Consider the big picture. You want to send the energy forward. Your finger tips part the water. Then your hand, arm, and body follow the same path through the water. As you do the above drill, it is very important to feel you body line up right behind your arm as you finish arm extension and rotation.
(4) Note the following in your video. Just before you hand enters the water, you have a slight pause. In the long run, smooth this out this little hesitation.
Old 04-07-2012

eileen.m.b@gmail.com
Default Thanks!

Thank you all for the awesome feedback. It makes great sense and is very consistent. I've continued working on different aspects of this - I'm concentrating first on not over-rotating to breathe. Really trying to just rotate slightly and keep one goggle under water. I know that part of my problem here is that I'm not very relaxed in the water -- it often takes a while to calm down and not feel like I'm going to drown! :)

Very good points made on my arm recovery. Once I've got the breathing down a bit better, I'll move on to that. The nod drill sounds like one I should try (but haven't yet).

Thanks again!