Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2014

T.Odusanya
Default New Children's Swimming Aid

Hi I am a Loughborough University final year student studying product design engineering. And it has recently been brought to my attention how difficult it can be when attempting to teach young children how to swim safely, after taking my little nephew to our local swimming pool and attempting to teach him. I noticed I wasn't the only person there that day having the same amount of difficulty. Which is why I am currently doing my final year project looking ways to improve teaching young and disabled children how to swim. I am considering designing / redesigning a swimming aid that could help solve or reduce this problem. I would be very grateful if you could help me by answering these quick questions below.

1) Would you class swimming as an important skill for children to learn?

2) What are the biggest difficulties you think children face when learning to swim?

3) Do you think children benefit from a more interactive swimming aid?

4) What kind of attributes would you ideally like to see from a swimming aid?

5) Any idea for new children’s swimming aid?

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2014

Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Odusanya View Post
Hi I am a Loughborough University final year student studying product design engineering. And it has recently been brought to my attention how difficult it can be when attempting to teach young children how to swim safely, after taking my little nephew to our local swimming pool and attempting to teach him. I noticed I wasn't the only person there that day having the same amount of difficulty. Which is why I am currently doing my final year project looking ways to improve teaching young and disabled children how to swim. I am considering designing / redesigning a swimming aid that could help solve or reduce this problem. I would be very grateful if you could help me by answering these quick questions below.

1) Would you class swimming as an important skill for children to learn?

2) What are the biggest difficulties you think children face when learning to swim?

3) Do you think children benefit from a more interactive swimming aid?

4) What kind of attributes would you ideally like to see from a swimming aid?

5) Any idea for new children’s swimming aid?

Thanks.
Here is my input, for whatever it's worth:
(1) Yes
(2) Kids should learn swimming by playing in the water. If it gets too focused in lessons, they stop having fun, which hurts the learning process. Each kid is different. Some are motivated by organized competition, but many are not.
(3) This is a very broad question. What kind of swimming aids are you talking about? What children will be using them?

My final suggestions are that the diversity in children makes it impossible to design something for everyone. I think you need a focus group of kids with certain attributes (maybe attributes that make learning swimming difficult for them). Then it will be easier to answer the questions you have posed.

Good luck!
Old 10-19-2014

T.Odusanya

Thank you very much for your response Danny. After speaking to many swimming instructors many of them agree with you and feel that the best route venture down is the fun and interactive one whilst building confidence.