Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2016

Streak

I think most folks start the count after their normal push and glide which I find to be an important part of starting each length getting nice and stable before the first stroke.

What's more important is that this push and glide is consistent so that you will know if your count is going up or down for you.

Yes, if you have a longer glide you will take less strokes than if you have a shorter glide. There is nothing artificial about it it's just how each of us swim.
Old 10-08-2016

caronis

I think I have to agree with you on this...
I think I can push & glide using perhaps just one slow downbeat kick and then surface and begin stroking when the momentum slows to my approximate swim speed...
I also am thinking that using the underwater lane marker can give me the sense that I'm surfacing consistently in the same spot....that way at least I'm getting an apples to apples comparison every time I swim and do the SC...
Old 10-08-2016
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by caronis View Post
Hi TI Folks,
I just discovered this thread and it's valuable in giving me an idea of the ideal stroke count based on my height....16....
However, this is my question...
When I push off the wall, I undulate a while until I surface through buoyancy, then I begin my stroke count.
Isn't this an issue as to the ideal stroke count? When does everyone else begin the stroke count? It seems much more natural to push and glide from the wall before initiating any strokes...
The "green zone" chart makes an assumption of about 4.5 seconds or 4-5m wall pushoff included in the stroke count. If your push-off takes longer, then your count will be lower.

Read mat Hudson's posts for more detail on determination ,but if you subtract your pushoff, and count strokes for the remaining distance, we like to see a range of 55-75% of your height for your stroke count. SPL is just the distance remaining divided by your stroke length.

We are in reality more concerned with stroke length as a percentage of your wingspan than absolute strokes per length.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle