Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2018

WFEGb

Hello Cathy and Michael,

got a still strange answer from tiswim.jp...

Quote:
...Thank you very much for your inquiry

The digital shop is limited to registered users, who purchased our
content in the past.
We are planning to make our content available in public...
Seems I did something wrong posting this link, was not aware of... and asked them, if anyone can become a new registered user.... If I'll get a positive answer I'll post it...

Best regards,
Werner
Old 06-15-2018

IngeA

I think you can register if you buy a course

Last edited by IngeA : 06-15-2018 at 05:57 AM.
Old 06-15-2018
whoiscathy

Default I have an account...

The weirdest thing is that I have purchased from Shinji already. Long story...; in any case, I have an account. And it won't let me get past the login screen time.
Old 06-15-2018

WFEGb

Hello,

seems I was too fast with the link. The hurdles have not been clear to me and are not still, so

I deleted the link-hint-paragraphs, because the given hint/link seems to be problematic in several soints. Please excuse for eventually caused confusion!

Best regards,
Werner
Old 06-20-2018
thaddeus.ward@gmail.com

Yes. So many things. I am pretty new to this and have been overwhelmed at times as well. Breathing, however, is not optional.

I am not a coach.... so take this with a grain of salt.

I would go back to the underswitch drills. Here's why..

Getting your mouth to oxygen should mostly be done by your body roll. Twisting you neck only gives you the last little bit.

Single underswitch taught me how to use the moment of my hand entering to be the trigger point for my full body roll...and it rolls you right up back to the surface for breath. Do this for a couple of lengths at least, before doing some double and triple underswitches.
Old 06-20-2018
whoiscathy

Default I don't know what those drills are

Hello,

those are not part of the current TI material. I actually have no idea what they are. By the way I hate these cryptic names... Anyway... the situation is that I'm still way too deep in the water unless I'm in a wetsuit. In a wetsuit, I'm in a perfect position to breathe. Without... I drown. It's a thin wetsuit (3/2/2). And that's ALL the help I seem to need to get myself UP in the water.

I actually give up at this point. I give up on learning to breathe in a swimsuit. I'll wear the wetsuit and screw this thing. I don't invest in this anymore. I want to swim outside anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaddeus.ward@gmail.com View Post
Yes. So many things. I am pretty new to this and have been overwhelmed at times as well. Breathing, however, is not optional.

I am not a coach.... so take this with a grain of salt.

I would go back to the underswitch drills. Here's why..

Getting your mouth to oxygen should mostly be done by your body roll. Twisting you neck only gives you the last little bit.

Single underswitch taught me how to use the moment of my hand entering to be the trigger point for my full body roll...and it rolls you right up back to the surface for breath. Do this for a couple of lengths at least, before doing some double and triple underswitches.
Old 06-20-2018
whoiscathy

I've had some horrendous two months, or whatever it's been since my posts. I actually almost stopped swimming altogether due to this. I now moved back to Luleň for the summer, but before that, I didn't swim for two weeks straight because I hated it so much. I really felt I was done with it.

I had good POOL swimming days perhaps twice or three times ever since I left Luleň in March; one was yesterday. But generally speaking, I've been feeling constantly low about my inability to learn this. It also has had a huge carryover onto my everyday mood, my passion, my everyday life. A negative carryover, because I was so all-in with this thing and I couldn't crack it.
Old 06-21-2018

WFEGb

Hello Cathy,

very sad to read that! And I don't even like to think, swimming in any way might have a negative carryover into anyones daylife. Two weird things jumped in my mind. So FWIW:

- Once upon a time when I played Squash regularly and had to take a timeout of some weeks/months my aerobic capacity broke down, but my technique improved a step from nothing...

- How about to sacrifice your wetsuit (I know they aren't cheap, so think at least twice about...) and shorten its legs and sleeves every week by 1-2cm and when they're gone, cut a new whole each week 10cm diameter or so... Maybe a stupid idea, but it is one...

Find a good mood with swimming, if any possible!

Best regards,
Werner

PS: Did you read your forum's private post? If so, I've been on a wrong way with it, please don't mind.
Old 06-22-2018

WFEGb

Hello Cathy,

how about a look into Mat's Post in TI-blog ?

... and may be even more interesting his Checklist Part 3... if you can scrape together some residual interest...

Best regards,
Werner
Old 06-22-2018

novaswimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoiscathy View Post
I've had some horrendous two months, or whatever it's been since my posts. I actually almost stopped swimming altogether due to this. I now moved back to Luleň for the summer, but before that, I didn't swim for two weeks straight because I hated it so much. I really felt I was done with it.

I had good POOL swimming days perhaps twice or three times ever since I left Luleň in March; one was yesterday. But generally speaking, I've been feeling constantly low about my inability to learn this. It also has had a huge carryover onto my everyday mood, my passion, my everyday life. A negative carryover, because I was so all-in with this thing and I couldn't crack it.
OK, so something is definitely going on...and I suspect it is with your balance in the water. It's too bad that you can't meet up with a TI coach, because I suspect that a good TI coach would be able to identify and diagnose the problem within a minute of watching you swim.

There was a young guy in a lane next to me once who was obviously in great physical shape, but he just couldn't make it to the end of the pool. He was trying to do freestyle. He asked me, ''How are you able to breathe?". I observed that his balance was off and his legs/hips were dropping. Also, he was not rotating to breathe. Lots of issues. I tried to explain how to keep a horizontal fore-aft posture in the water. I wish I'd had more time to teach him a few things -- just as I wish someone had with me so many years ago, but I never did see him there again.

Maybe you can muster the courage to ask someone as well. I think most swimmers would be honored to be asked for a few pointers.