Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2018
whoiscathy

Hello Werner,

Quote:
Cathy, what can we do to get you back?
Honestly, nothing, because it's more than just swimming.

The reason I abandoned swimming is because "failing" at something so many times has taken a serious toll on my self-confidence. Sometimes I feel I'm not worthy of my goggles!

So, my practice, instead of building me up and giving me more confidence, has been tearing me down lately. It's just not worth it anymore. I need success, however small, not "failing" again and again.

I haven't had any success with breathing. I'm not closer to it than I was in February. Meanwhile, I've seen all of Johnny's students breathe. I then saw an entire pool full of adults learning crawl (not TI, but front quadrant style) not being able to breathe last week. This week, all of them were breathing. Except me... I was the only one in the entire pool who still couldn't. After months of struggle... Those people started 4 weeks ago!

I haven't consulted any other TI coach (but I've talked to two more non-TI coaches in my new pool). However, I'm very satisfied with Johnny. Now I live some 1300km away, so we haven't met in a while, but we email. But, it's not Johnny! All his other students manage, managed. The other two crawl coaches I talked to couldn't get me breathe either... The common denominator is me.

The thing with breathing is that it's cardinal. My stroke is now more put together. There's no pause or hesitation in it, it's one fluid movement from catch to next slot entry. My hands are now relaxed most of the time, and my fingers slightly open. I think I'm not bobbing anymore, although it's hard to tell because I'm not allowed to use a camera in my new pool. Yet, all those details have value only if and when breathing is added on top! Otherwise, it's sill just a 25m stroke.

So, no, I haven't been able to just relax and enjoy lately. It's been a pain. Lots of disappointment again and again and again.

PS. Yes, I can do "Sweet Spot". I dislike it because my flutter kick is practically non-existent (and I can't do it with a 2bk), so I slow down really fast, but I can do it. Resume stroking from SS, that's another thing: rarely & barely can do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFEGb View Post
Hello Cathy,

Cathy, what can we do to get you back?

You know, Terry was convinced too, not having the right genetic combination to swim a good FS for almost 45 years, don't you?

Did you ever try to swim with "Interrupted Breathing" (breathing in a sweet point on the back)?

(Johnny forgive me) Did you ever consult a female TI-Coach? (Tracey Baumann will give two courses on 16th and 17th of June in Berlin, organized by James Harding)?

Did you ever try to just enjoy your work in the water, without the strong goal to learn breathing?

Wish you'll come back into the water and TI!

Best regards,
Werner
Old 04-28-2018

IngeA

Not all skills are difficult for all people. There are many which struggle with just the fist step of swimming freestyle: Balance. Others with core stability. Others with kicking or in the whole with timing.
It took me very long time to learn breathing. I had to "work" on this problem nearly 2 years. But I did not focus only on breathing, but very much on feeling the water and feeling me in the water. If it seems impossible to reach the goal often it helps to take a pause or to take another path to the goal. In my case the path was: learning butterfly and forgetting freestyle for a while. Doing many drills just for fun without any real goal, and very much playing in and with the water. And then: doing the drills of the mastery course. First I struggled and was not able to do only one stroke in the one armed freestyle. But I tried every time a bit and then really at once it worked. Even with breathing.
It's OK to give up something you haven't fun with.
But if I always have given up in sports when i was clumsier than all the others, I would not have done much sports. I like it to overcome difficulties and learn new things or try to learn at all, even or because it's difficult. What others can do just naturally, i have often have to learn and fight for.
It's funny because in "my sports" many really gifted gave up the sport whereas I am still sticking to it and doing quite well, just because of the combination of hard work and also taking the subject easy. I do not look what others achieve. I try to learn in each Training I do. And if something is too difficult I go a step back and do easier exercises or I'm biting through.
And even the most gifted will some time get at a point where they have to bite through.
And the two sports I really was talented I don't do much now. Wildwater kajaking takes a lot of time and I don't want to spend every weekend without the familiy or with a family bored at the camping ground. So we do little tours with the children and have fun.
The other sport I was really good was archery. But to be honest: It's boring :o) I like it now and then, I have my bow and arrows and a big cellar where I can shoot. But that's just for fun.
The trainer wanted me in the archery squad, I didn't.

Take a pause and then perhaps you want to come back and try again more relaxed on this point :o)
Old 04-28-2018
whoiscathy

Default Came in today's TI newsletter

Perhaps I should just focus on what I already have.

After all, I just achieved this this last week:

Quote:
"The Arm Stroke Cycle
When examining just one arm moving through the entire stroke cycle, we see muscle ‘pulsing’, where much of the muscle units are relaxed during the recovery swing (especially the forearm and hand and fingers) and then activated as the catch is set and continues during the pull phase, then they turn off again as the forearm reaches the waist. These muscles are turning on-then-off-then-on-then-off, and so on cycle after cycle. This relaxation during part of the stroke cycle reduces the overall average number of muscle units that are cranking out w̶a̶i̶s̶t̶ (sic!!) waste products making it easier on the circulatory system to remove them. And it conserves energy, keeping muscles at rest when there is no need for them to be working. The visibly-relaxed wrist, hand and fingers during the recovery swing reveal something about how well the swimmer is pulsing this part of the body.
And when I noticed it was happening, I considered it a huge step, kind of a step-up in my game. Like swimming on a different level.
Old 04-28-2018

WFEGb

Hello Cathy,

Quote:
And when I noticed it was happening, I considered it a huge step, kind of a step-up in my game. Like swimming on a different level.
GREAT Cathy! Seems we have not completely lost you yet...

Best regards,
Werner

PS: Mat's blogs are always great, but with the first Tension-relaxations and second examples he topped himself. They should become mandatory :-)
Old 04-29-2018

Tom65

Over 40 years of not being able to swim for me, my Father can't swim, blames it on genes. Decided if genes were the problem it just meant I had to work harder and accept I won't be winning any comps.

So when finding air proved to be the most elusive part of my swim journey I found a drill (link below) that helped me find air and improve my weak kick.

I can actually do this drill with my mouth clear of the water enabling me to breathe in and out leisurely. Probably done the first few laps with fins, can't remember for sure. Will be doing this drill Today as my arms etc need a rest, but I still want to go to the pool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaH2dfNkMko
Old 06-12-2018

WFEGb

Hello Cathy,

hope you're still swimming and finding enjoyment... at least seems you're still reading the forum. In what I call "English" :)...

I deleted this paragraph, because the given hint/link seems to be problematic in several soints. Please excuse for eventually caused confusion!

Best regards,
Werner

Last edited by WFEGb : 06-15-2018 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Necessary correction :-(
Old 06-12-2018
clamic

Hello Werner,
May I ask how to register at Shinjis webshop

Thanks
Michael
Old 06-12-2018

WFEGb

Hello Michael,

strange! First time I've been linked to the login by this link as you have been.

Dropped a line to the supporters. Let's hope they'll fix it soon...

Best regards,
Werner
Old 06-13-2018
clamic

Thx Werner!
Old 06-14-2018
whoiscathy

Default Thanks, Werner

I do read the forums. Can't check the link either.