Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013

ananthaditya
Default Average time swimming 1500m TI Freestyle in pool?

I timed myself around the region of 45 minutes. What is considered a good time for a wellness swimmer swimming with a kaizen mindset? :)
Becomes established in himself.'

Ananth Aditya
Freelance writer, editor,
and aspiring novelist.
Old 08-29-2013
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthaditya View Post
I timed myself around the region of 45 minutes. What is considered a good time for a wellness swimmer swimming with a kaizen mindset? :)
I think "good" is always relative to the capabilities and goals of the swimmer. So I think that if you go with eye towards being "better than yesterday", you will have a good goal to shoot for.

But rather than give you a nebulous answer, here's one metric: In Master's workouts, there is a workout called the 30 min swim. You basically go for as many laps as you can in 30 min. While there is a debate on the true value of this swim as it's directed by most non-TI masters coaches, if you swim at a pace of 2:00 per 100m, then you should make 1500m in 30 min. A pace of 2:00 per 100m is generally considered easy cruising for most fitness swimmers who regularly go to Masters workouts several times a week.

But again, such metrics are still swimmer and goal dependent. I personally think that such a pace is within reach of most kaizen TI swimmers though, if not better.
Old 08-29-2013

Rincewind

Yeah, I too always thought 30mins 1500m is a good goal for easy and relaxed pace. If you are swimming 45min I'd say it means you still have some major technique issues to work on.
Old 08-29-2013
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

We should keep in mind that only an estimated 2% of all adults (in the US) can even swim as far as 400m continuously. To me that suggests that a 30 minute 1500 would probably put any of us in the global Top 1% of all swimmers.

I'll second David's suggestion that Better Today Than Yesterday should be our common aspiration and measure.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 08-29-2013

Rincewind

Well I can only relate personal experience, having no formal swimming training ever, but coming from a good fitness background I could swim 1500m pretty much off the bat, but my time was about 45 mins and on camera it looked painfully terrible. =)
Old 08-29-2013

danm

Quote:
my first post here, great forum and great method!

@ananthaditya - if you want some benchmark for your swimming fitness I suppose you can't be too wrong if you try the cooper test, it has a swimming version, you can find the details here

It doesn't tell you how good a swimmer you are or anything about kaizen, but it gives you a rough idea on how much of an improvement you could aim for, at least in an initial phase.
Old 08-30-2013

WFEGb

Hello danm,

Quote:
...you can't be too wrong if you try the cooper test, it has a swimming Version...
I'm a great fan of Cooper since early 1970ies. But

- when Cooper did his measurements for swimmers TI didn't exist, and I argue with TI it's quite more effortless than he measured...

- Cooper's test and trainings does not fit to freestyle swimming so long as one did not resolve breathing in aerobic state. And for some of us that will take more time than Cooper's 16weeks...

For breaststroke (with reduced points) it will work fine. Though it's pure work for more stamina. With TI swimming becomes a far more interesting and staisfying component than just agitating for stamina. If I understand right, TI-coaches and many of us are convinced, focus work and kaizen-swimming gives you the stamina alongside.

Best regards,
Werner
Old 08-30-2013

Rincewind

Sorry but that is the most useless cardio test I've ever seen. What if you are a top class marathon runner but don't know how to swim? You will evaluate to 'very poor'?
Old 08-30-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Anything that
-feels easier
-is more enlightening
-teaches you something new
-is more fun
-is faster than the last time you swam.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 08-30-2013
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
Sorry but that is the most useless cardio test I've ever seen. What if you are a top class marathon runner but don't know how to swim? You will evaluate to 'very poor'?
if i could encourage us not to be too hasty to judge - at the bottom of that pdf is a date of 1982. so it was developed during a time when TI wasn't around, and also many aspects of what makes great swimmers was not as well understood as now.

as a test of cardioendurance, it is probably a good test - if you wanted to swim that way. at some distances, you'd potentially be forced to exert more force if you wanted max performance like sprinting 25s or 50s, maybe up to 100s. then you'd be testing your cardio system much more than for other types of swimming. for elites, they may literally be "sprinting" as they maintain other aspects of their stroke even for longer distances of their events. but we're talking about elites whose livelyhood depends on doing well at the next race and they've already optimized their stroke and now the only thing that will propel them faster is to exert more effort on top of perfect form - assuming they can hold that form in the face of rising effort.

but for most people, working on your cardio system before maxing your form isn't going to improve your swimming. we at TI know that it's form that should be optimized first before anything else. and we can spend a ton of time doing just that to get faster well before we start testing our cardio system and lactate threshold - in fact if we do, we're probably doing something wrong - the true evidence of that is in our SPL, tempo, and time to swim a given length. we can see where we top out and our speed starts rising only with an exponential rise in effort.