Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2008
Coach

CoachShinji

Quote:
Originally Posted by cquinn View Post
Without seeing video, are there any specific components of the stroke you would recommend focusing on to achieve that next level of efficiency?

Thanks,
Chris
Chris,
To get balanced (or keep slippery position) always comes first. We (TI Japan coaches) think TI swim is composed of postures and movements, and movements are composed of series of postures. So once you get balanced postures such as skating and zipperskate (zenskate), try to get balanced (or keep slippery) in between postures when you do switch drills such as underswitch (spearswitch) and zipperswitch (zenswitch). That makes your movements more slippery.

Contrast is also another factor to improve your stroke. When you swim, your long axis does not move at all but your hands move very softly. Your leading hand keeps extended (still) while your recovery hand continuously moves. Your recovery hand moves slowly but your pull is so quick that your body can move forward with using the resistance created by the pull. Those kinds of contrast are very important for grace and speed.
Freestyle Demo (#2 ranking worldwide on YouTube)
Graceful Freestyle
9 Stroke Freestyle
Old 11-29-2008

Mike from NS
Default me too ... me too...!!

Shinji,

I want to add my gratitude for your videos. As the others have said, they are really helpful. They present a strong visual we can take to the pool!

My progress has been very slow and yesterday I finally managed my first uninterrupted pool length. Breathing to one side began to kick in. In my mind's eye I try to maintain the visual you present in your videos and proceed in an almost slow motion manner. This more focused approach of keeping the timing of kick and spear as you show has seemed to help. When I have a more solid feel of the amount of "proper roll" for air, I expect my stalled progress might gain some speed. I suppose beginning to learn to swim at my age (55) has a lot to do with slow progress.

I love the music you have with your videos as well.

Mike
Old 11-30-2008

kueli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji View Post
Thanks for watching my video!
If you have any questions, please let me know.
Shinji: Your videos are amazing! How long is the pool in which you are swimming the 9-Stroke and the 12-Stroke?
Old 11-30-2008
Coach

CoachShinji

Quote:
Originally Posted by kueli View Post
Shinji: Your videos are amazing! How long is the pool in which you are swimming the 9-Stroke and the 12-Stroke?
Thanks, kueli
It is 25m pool.
Graceful Freestyle
9 Stroke Freestyle
Old 11-30-2008
Coach

CoachShinji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from NS View Post
My progress has been very slow and yesterday I finally managed my first uninterrupted pool length. Breathing to one side began to kick in. In my mind's eye I try to maintain the visual you present in your videos and proceed in an almost slow motion manner. This more focused approach of keeping the timing of kick and spear as you show has seemed to help. When I have a more solid feel of the amount of "proper roll" for air, I expect my stalled progress might gain some speed.
Mike,
Congratulations on your first uninterrupted lap. Learning TI swim is gradual process, so your do not have to worry that how fast you can learn. Like Terry said to me, every stroke you practice is investment to master your skill and you will get returns from it. Such a reliable investment nowadays!

If you want to get more feeling of proper roll, try to extend your hand horizontally instead of 4 o'clock position after you enter your hand. Be careful not raising your head while rolling.
Graceful Freestyle
9 Stroke Freestyle
Old 11-30-2008

Mike from NS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachShinji View Post
If you want to get more feeling of proper roll, try to extend your hand horizontally instead of 4 o'clock position after you enter your hand. Be careful not raising your head while rolling.
Thank you Shinji.
Yes it is a slow learning curve. Many times I have left the pool frustrated and of a mind to give it up; however I'm not a quitter. Nearing the completion of the length (as I passed locations of prior success) the excitement of reaching a goal (even one so minuscule) takes over. .. only 3 more strokes .. only two ... made it !!! Most here I believe have learned to swim during their youth and likely cannot recall the attainment of various goals along their journey. Then the older ones, like myself, are reduced to joyful little kids when we reach "milestones". I feel, or at least hope, that I'm moving off a plateau and starting the climb for the next. One thing I did feel was an almost mechanical cyclic action - and near the end I did fall apart somewhat as the excitement promoted some hast to complete. I don't imagine it was too pretty!

Just to be clear with your suggestion ... should the hand enter the water reaching for 4 o'clock the rise and extend to horizontal as the other hand strokes back or should the spear be simply enter the water and drive forward to horizontal?

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 11-30-2008
Coach

CoachJohnB

Shinji,

Having seen you swim a few years ago at a San Fran. clinic that you interned at, I will say that you have developed a nice freestyle.
As one coach to another, I do have to inquire about your "underwater freestyle finish" I tried it the other day. It seemed(to me) that it creates more resistance than just letting the water go at the finish.
Couple of questions. One, when do you recommended the "underwater finish" occuring? Maybe I was going at it at the wrong time.
Two, how does it differ from using a "shoulder shrug" to start the recovery phase? It would seem to me that starting the recovery with the shoulder, which is out of the water, would provide more of a benefit.
Thanks for your replies, as I try to understand your thinking. Thanks!
John
Old 12-01-2008
Coach

CoachShinji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from NS View Post
Just to be clear with your suggestion ... should the hand enter the water reaching for 4 o'clock the rise and extend to horizontal as the other hand strokes back or should the spear be simply enter the water and drive forward to horizontal?
The below image describes the angle of hand entry.

When your wrist enters the water, you will change the angle to horizontal. This is when another hand starts to anchor. The leading hand moves forward horizontally with body rotation, so the angle of the hand slants (from 3:00 to 3:30/3:45) as the body glides.
Graceful Freestyle
9 Stroke Freestyle

Last edited by CoachShinji : 12-06-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-01-2008
Coach

CoachShinji
Default Long time no see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJohnB View Post
Shinji,
Couple of questions. One, when do you recommended the "underwater finish" occuring? Maybe I was going at it at the wrong time.
Two, how does it differ from using a "shoulder shrug" to start the recovery phase? It would seem to me that starting the recovery with the shoulder, which is out of the water, would provide more of a benefit.
John,
1) When do I use underwater finish?
We found most of TI swimmers (in Japan) have hard time to lead elbows when they finish beneath the surface. When they do it, the elbow tend to extend with the palm up and it takes time to fold his/her arm to create zipperskate(zenskate) posture. We recommend underwater finish in this case. We also recommend it when they tend to stop movement at finish position.

2) How does it differ from using a "shoulder shrug"?
I feel underwater finish is more active movement than shoulder shrug. You have to snap your hand underwater to do underwater finish, so there is risk that the hand gets tense. But it can propel crank movement and I think that is very important for the perpetual motion stroke.
When I used shoulder shrug as a focal point, I focused on moving my whole arm with deltoid and it made me tired. Maybe I am wrong how to use it.

Feeling more drag
Followings are reasons that you feel more drag with underwater finish.

1) Your hand snap is not strong enough for your elbow to bounce forward.
You do not have to push all the way. Very short distance with very fast speed might work.
You need create at least 2 meter /s of velocity to get enough force from the water.

2) The exit points of your elbow and your hand are different.
If your hand exits behind the point where your elbow does, you cannot utilize the merit of underwater finish since it takes time for your hand to catch up with your elbow.
Try to pull your hand after your elbow comes up.
Graceful Freestyle
9 Stroke Freestyle
Old 12-01-2008

kueli
Default Pool length

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji View Post
Thanks for watching my video!
If you have any questions, please let me know.