Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012

Mike from NS
Default "Typical" time to swim 25 M ?

Is there a chart or standard measure of how long it takes to swim 25M ? Or any other length for that matter. With no TT involved and with the goal of getting to the other end as fast as possible (freestyle) how long does it take?

I'm not fast at all and in fact dreadfully slow but with the lap clock glaring at me from the other end I decided today to just see how long it took. Of the 4 lengths I checked my time I noted 2 lengths at 24 sec, one at 25 and the fourth at 26. If nothing else I am consistent. I think I've read that a "good" measure of 25 M is covered with between 15 to 18 strokes. I have more practice to be done to realize this. I noted a 22 and a 16 at different times today.

So, you can see what progress is doing to me ...... I'm now trying to establish bench marks from which to improve. Yes .... a long way to go yet ! I suppose my "times" suggest (loudly) that among other things, that I must work more on better streamline.

Thanks, Mike
Old 09-14-2012

CharlesCouturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from NS View Post
Is there a chart or standard measure of how long it takes to swim 25M ? Or any other length for that matter. With no TT involved and with the goal of getting to the other end as fast as possible (freestyle) how long does it take?

I'm not fast at all and in fact dreadfully slow but with the lap clock glaring at me from the other end I decided today to just see how long it took. Of the 4 lengths I checked my time I noted 2 lengths at 24 sec, one at 25 and the fourth at 26. If nothing else I am consistent. I think I've read that a "good" measure of 25 M is covered with between 15 to 18 strokes. I have more practice to be done to realize this. I noted a 22 and a 16 at different times today.

So, you can see what progress is doing to me ...... I'm now trying to establish bench marks from which to improve. Yes .... a long way to go yet ! I suppose my "times" suggest (loudly) that among other things, that I must work more on better streamline.

Thanks, Mike
For sure, at 15 strokes, a 25m will be done in 20sec or less, at 54 strokes per minute and more, assuming that you don't cheat...
Old 09-15-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from NS View Post

Thanks, Mike
Its a slightly odd question since we all swim at different speeds but for a public lane session you would catch 95% of people in the 1.30-2.15 per 100m bracket.

For a masters club training sessions I would imagine non sprinting times would range 1.10-1.45/100m
Old 09-15-2012

Richardsk

http://www.swimmingresults.org/masters/`

If you go to this page and select 'short course' and 'all' for 'number to view' you can see the range of times for the 50m freestyle for GB Masters. As you can see it is a wide range. Even if you select an advanced age you will still see that the range is quite wide as some of the older swimmers are faster than some of the younger swimmers. If you added recreational swimmers you would find the range even wider. Interestingly, my own slow time, which will be found more or less right at the bottom, is slightly faster for long course than for short course, perhaps because of poor turn technique or perhaps because my long course time was a PB and my short course time wasn't.

No doubt you could do a similar search for US Masters and Canadian Masters.
Old 09-15-2012

ian mac
Default Remember the equation

Mike,
As a master competitor for 20 years, Andy's range of 1:10 - 1:45/100m is a very good measure. If you go to fina.org and click on their masters section you can see the fastest all time top ten in every age group at every distance.

While I am certainly an advocate of maximum streamline, remember that the equation for swim speed = distance per stroke x stroke rate. So to swim faster, learning how to propel yourself through the water faster is just as important as reducing drag.

As long as you have at least 2 variables of the equation, you can determine if you are improving. Although I use the TT a great deal as a training tool, I always do my fastest swimming practice without one. Swimmers have been using pace clocks and getting faster without it for a long time.

Best wishes on getting faster.
ian mac
Old 09-16-2012

Mike from NS

Thanks for the replies. Exactly the information I was seeking. It is 6 years next week since I first put my feet in the water to learn how to swim. At 53, I must have been the oldest in the class of beginner adults. Taking that long to get to this point should tell you Charles -- I don't cheat. -). BTW, Charles, do I understand correctly that you are based in Quebec ?

Andy, all my swimming is done during public lane swim sessions and I appreciate the numbers you offered. I'm right about where your numbers suggest that I might be. At least for 25M. Endurance building is one of my goals for the winter months.

The Masters sight you linked Richard and the fina.org sight you mentioned IanMac also have the information I was hoping someone might direct me towards. Thanks very much. Nice to be able to draw on the "age card" ..... but I'm certainly without the ability those in my age group possess. I think I need to see the bottom 10 rather than the top 10 !!

The points you make Ian are understood and appreciated. On the whole, this exercise serves to give me a fresh starting point from which improvement can be measured. I've decreased drag lately by going from a Tyr "drag" suit to a Speedo Endurance suit. Not only do I notice a lot less drag, it is quite a bit more comfortable as well.
Mike