Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by haschu33 View Post
Didn't have time to read all this valuable stuff in this thread, but this got my attention:

I am am wondering what they brought you up with, doc, that makes your brain spit out such impressive sentences.

Don't tell me it was Coke ;-)
Thanks so much! My parents often wonder where I came from. I'm pretty sure it was all those talks about airfoils, streamline, lift starting around the age of 7, and the overall inventiveness, intelligence, compassion and blue eyes of my grandfather, Robert P. Atkinson. he held several patents in airplane engine design, including one that allowed the P-40 (Flying Tigers) to go into mass production and win the war in the skies over Burma. His change in design, increased the efficiency of the Allison engine some ridiculous amount that made the p-40 prototype the fastest fighter in the sky at the time it was made.

I think that rubbed off on me somehow. :)

While I'm dismayed my grandfathers name doesn't pop up in history books about the p40, the actual plane and it's Allison engines does. That engine was pushed to the forefront by a silly idea he had about efficiency...and he had the boldness to tell everyone about it that would listen. The war would have been very different if not for Papa, as I'm sure it would have been had any individual taking part int he war effort not done his best.

Couple stories I wrote about him:
http://www.docshazam.com/2005/03/papas-den.html

http://www.docshazam.com/2005/09/fla...y-buddies.html
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 11-10-2012

haschu33

That's all very interesting Madam Doc Shazam (I wonder what that means...), so you are writing your brain out. Probably you get crazy otherwise ;-)
And without swimming and biking and running also...

Maybe some of your Grandpas mind stayed with you, who knows. Good you are in the balance and efficiency area again, and a more peaceful application field is not too bad either.

What impresses me most is not just the clear and on the point sentences but the fact that most of your posts give the impression that you just wrote them down without thinking twice about it. Quite amazing.
(BTW I am just saying how it is, what can I do ;-), so no need to thank me)

I read what you said being involved in daily actions and mentally writing a blog about it.
That's a funny situation.
When I was young I traveled a lot and was kind of a hippie with long hair and old jeans and so on, but I always had quite an expensive camera with me.
At some point I noticed that in any situation where I was I always looked at the situation in terms of if it would provide a good foto. So I never really enjoyed any scenery but took a foto to look at it later. But later never comes. When I realized that I sold my camera and traveled without.

Today I'd say, good decision. Who cares about those fotos today? I don't even know where they ended. And there is nothing more healthy than trying to be there where you are doing that what you are being doing. Even your mind can learn that - you just need to keep the mind engaged without engaging you.

Anyway, I think studying medicine was probably a good entertainment for your mind - although coupled with some dreadful learning routines which your mind probably hated - but being a doc is more likely unsatisfying for that impatient mind. Looking constantly for new horizons?

Why didn't you invent and develop facebook ... seems you missed that ... you weren't too far away ;-)

I am not sure what I want to say with this, it is just what came into my mind. And it is badly off topic (sorry, co-swimmer).
But I think there must be a good and better engagement for such a mind, I guess it idles too much these days. It is a great gift - as long as it doesn't nuke you.

Anyway, I'll keep enjoying your posts
Old 11-12-2012

haschu33
Default for the medical inclined cat lover...

I hope that meets your outer-medicine and outer swimming passions and your humor, doc:

and for a liitle exercise in antomy:

back to the typos:

Old 11-12-2012

haschu33
Default second part

and back to the roots - swimming. Clean stroke, isn't it:

The classic:

and last but not least, aren't we great?

Old 11-12-2012

haschu33

Really sorry,sorry, Rajan, I know, this is so badly off-topic. But it's all doc Sue's fault, she somehow inspires me for this kind of stuff, I am completely innocent.

Ok, there is another one with regards to Mr. CCC:

Last edited by haschu33 : 11-12-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-13-2012

Grant

Haschu
I apologize folks for posting here but I can't find the thread that Haschu mentioned intentionally beginning the underwater stroke just a fraction of a second before the beep on the Tempo Trainer.
I just want to report that I followed that methodology this morning and found it to be as you did Haschu. I had been aware of this approach in the past but never really tried to actualize it in the past.
Years ago there was a publication called Super Learning. It advocated that one of the best approaches to learning was to expose oneself to the new issue three time. The first time one said "Oh that is interesting" , the second time one said " I have seen that before" and the third time the reaction is "I know that".
Now I feel that it is in my knowledge storehouse.
Thank you.
Old 11-13-2012

CharlesCouturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by haschu33 View Post
Really sorry,sorry, Rajan, I know, this is so badly off-topic. But it's all doc Sue's fault, she somehow inspires me for this kind of stuff, I am completely innocent.

Ok, there is another one with regards to Mr. CCC:

You're telling me...

Dat cat z'too cute. See how he'z tsill. Thanks Haaaatssu! :)

Last edited by CharlesCouturier : 11-13-2012 at 02:47 AM.
Old 11-13-2012

haschu33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Haschu
I apologize folks for posting here but I can't find the thread that Haschu mentioned intentionally beginning the underwater stroke just a fraction of a second before the beep on the Tempo Trainer. ...
Hi Grant,

Nice to here from you.
The thread is here
Old 11-13-2012

Grant

Ah, the lost is found. Thanks Haschu
Old 11-16-2012

BrentonFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajan View Post
Dear all,

Can the Hip Drive be achieved only through opposite leg kicking. Why I am asking because in TI DVD, In lesson 3 or 4th (I dont remember exactly), it is not told that you have to kick opposite leg to initiate hip drive.

For those who don't know or yet started practicing two beat kick, how can this HIP drive be achieved.

Regards

Rajan
Your rotation starts from your hips. I find the best way to think about it is to forget about what legs are doing and focus on beginning your rotation with your hips. It can be difficult to coordinate otherwise.