Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2010

splashingpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by flppr View Post
so, shu, did you try breathing w/o seeing yet?
anywho, i've had this big problem with swimming uphill, and i think i fixed it today by spearing to around 4:30. i felt much more balanced in the water and noticed water flying up in the air with my kick at times, which means my feet were closer to the surface of the water. i wonder if this problem has to do with my body composition. i have longer legs and a shorter trunk
(the opposite of phelps).
im glad you found out your balance spot!
relax the head and keep the feet under!
congratulations are in order!

ya found it....maybe want to find it and can 't!

were not all phelps...there is only one of him!
he turned fish...with so much water time!
my thoughts anyway
Old 02-10-2010

KatieK
Default Helpful tip

Quote:
I took the freestyle course in San Diego a couple months ago, and one of my many problems was getting air. I tend to over rotate, which causes me to drop like a rock and doesn't allow me enough time to inhale. Last night, I discovered that if I keep my lead arm very wide when rotating to air, so wide that I feel my a stretch in my pecs, it acts as an outrigger, keeping me from over-rotating, and so well-balanced in the water that I have plenty of time to get air. It also helps me inhale just above the surface of the water, keeping one goggle in the water. I don't know if its the "right" way, but it sure does feel like it.
Next goal, turning my head back to water sooner, and then bilateral breathing.
Flppr--thanks for posting this. When I read it, I was working on the skating advanced breathing drill and trying to keep my lead arm wide while breathing. I was thinking of breathing as an obstacle to keeping my lead arm wide. This post, helped me realized that the wide arm is meant to help me breathe easier. My weak side breathing felt much better when I tried this yesterday.
Old 02-11-2010

RadSwim

Quote:
so, shu, did you try breathing w/o seeing yet?
anywho, i've had this big problem with swimming uphill, and i think i fixed it today by spearing to around 4:30. i felt much more balanced in the water and noticed water flying up in the air with my kick at times, which means my feet were closer to the surface of the water. i wonder if this problem has to do with my body composition. i have longer legs and a shorter trunk (the opposite of phelps).
flppr-
Spearing to 4:30 is unlikely to be a good solution for the long-term. It is valuable as a drill, allowing you to feel more horizontal. The unfortunate side-effect is that it pulls your front-end deep, so you have to use maladaptive compensations to get back up to air such as: pushing down with the leading hand, scooping up with the leading hand, over rotating, or craning your neck.

Now that you feel less uphill at 4:30, see if you can maintain the horizontal balance as you work your target up toward 3:00.

I like AquaSphere Alpha floating fins to provide a bit of buoyancy when working on body position.

Good luck,
RadSwim
Old 02-12-2010

flppr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadSwim View Post
flppr-
Spearing to 4:30 is unlikely to be a good solution for the long-term. It is valuable as a drill, allowing you to feel more horizontal. The unfortunate side-effect is that it pulls your front-end deep, so you have to use maladaptive compensations to get back up to air such as: pushing down with the leading hand, scooping up with the leading hand, over rotating, or craning your neck.

Now that you feel less uphill at 4:30, see if you can maintain the horizontal balance as you work your target up toward 3:00.

I like AquaSphere Alpha floating fins to provide a bit of buoyancy when working on body position.

Good luck,
RadSwim
i see your point. i'm going to film myself this weekend to check my form at 4:30. i'll get back to you.
Old 02-14-2010

flppr

i taped my swim yesterday, and i found that by keeping my hands just below my shoulders instead of at 4:30, and focusing on shifting my weight upward by pressing my head and chest down slightly, i was able to improve my uphill tendency.

the bigger problem i saw was that i was rotating my body way too far on my breathing side and was sinking on that side as a result. today, i focused on rotating only slightly, and i largely fixed the sinking problem.

i find it much easier to correct my problems when i swim breathing to my left rather than my right: pressing the chest down is easier, preventing the sinking is easier. everything is easier except for one thing: i feel i can better elongate my body when breathing to my right. i'm left-side dominant.
Old 02-17-2010

flppr

i swam breathing only on my right side last night. by the end of the swim, i had a slightly better feel for pressing my chest down. it was a lot of work and not too fun, but like bad sex, it was still pretty good. i'm going to practice breathing only on my right side until it feels as good and easy as my left.
Old 02-19-2010

flppr

so i swam breathing only on the right again tonight, except for one length toward the end of the swim. i was SO MUCH stronger, faster, and more powerful and balanced breathing on the left. i have a lot of work to do.
Old 02-21-2010

flppr

today i filmed my right-sided breathing swim session. even though it feels like i'm more balanced in the sagittal plane, i'm still swimming uphill. also, my left arm, my stronger arm, had a very low elbow and weak and shallow penetration into the water, and its not staying on a wide track. i'm still rotating too much on my breathing side, so i'm off balance in the frontal plane, too.

tomorrow's gonna be a slow, back-to-basics swim.
Old 02-21-2010

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
...my left arm, my stronger arm, had a very low elbow and weak and shallow penetration into the water, and its not staying on a wide track.
Check out Jodie Swallow's style. Watch her elbows after entry, just before she switches to the catch. Or just see the attached screenshot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiNkAMU8syI

I guess the elbow just appears to be low. I think she just maintains a bend in the arm and flips her forearm straight into the catch. That's something I want to try. Less extension, quicker catch, higher stroke rate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jodie_Swallow_elbow.jpg (81.2 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by shuumai : 02-21-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-21-2010

splashingpat
Default David Blinstein needs to watch this! TOO (i thnk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuumai View Post
Check out Jodie Swallow's style. Watch her elbows after entry, just before she switches to the catch. Or just see the attached screenshot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiNkAMU8syI

I guess the elbow just appears to be low. I think she just maintains a bend in the arm and flips her forearm straight into the catch. That's something I want to try. Less extension, quicker catch, higher stroke rate.

see the bubbles and her splash the water...
she does n't even have the slim body( of most of the elite swimmers shape) either ...but BOY'S AIN'T SHE GREAT!

thanks again my dear friend shuumai!
let the wife sleep!
this is the speed at most of the swimmers want (ain't it reallY?)

here's to swimmin', dancin', or even speakin'
a language that others can understand!
pat

Last edited by splashingpat : 02-21-2010 at 03:52 PM.