Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal
Default Engaging unknown core by disengaging quads

Hey Terry,

I had somewhat of an "aha moment" this morning working with Coach Mandy reviewing 2bk and rotation timing. We were working on coming up with simplier, very specific steps to quickly start swimmers with the timed kick and its position - trying minimizing frustration for those new to it or have been working at it for some time with little to moderate success. Mandy noticed I was kicking more from my quads with a bit too much knee bend, which I've been concentrating on often (minimizing the knee bend focus). She had me change focal from less knee to kicking with my gluts (me big arss) - and whoooaaaa. I found a part of my core that has not been engaged in the past, longer body, knees in-line and able to hold that curved leg position through pointed toes without recoiling from the knee from kicking (flicking) from quads. Firing with the larger muscle group and feeling the additional surge and streamline with less effort was incredible.

Happy Swimming and Toe Flicking!

Stuart
Old 05-30-2012

azamy

All the information in this thread thrilled me to an extent that I wanted a backup copy. Okay I copied all the posts and it became 50 pages... A wonderful TI Book on 2b Kick :)

Thanks everyone.
Old 07-31-2012

TomH

Friday: As part of my pool practice, swam a series of 100 M at TT setting of 1.20. I rested 1 minute between each 100, and my goal was to swim as many 100’s as I could with no more than 81 strokes per 100. On the 6th 100, my form fell apart and I took 85 strokes.

Sunday: Found this thread and read it beginning to end. Went to pool and practiced SG with kicking as described in this thread. Dropping the knee with the heel staying high, and then “flicking off the slipper” as my spearing arm extends.

Monday: Swam 100’s with same parameters as on Friday, concentrating on knee drop - slipper flicking kick. I managed 10 100’s, (double my previous accomplishment) with average of 80 strokes per 100, and with less fatigue than I had felt on Friday . I probably could have kept going, but I was out of time. Next time, I will reduce the rest between 100’s by 15 seconds and see if I can still manage 10 repeats.
Old 08-01-2012

tony0000

I also very much appreciate the reporting (and recognize that you are not claim to speak for Shinji, just doing your best to convey what you got out of teh workshop).

I'm curious about the so-called snap. It's been suggested that no meaningful propulsion can be derived from the pull after the hand passes the hips. This makes some sense to me. After the hand passes the hips, it seem any water that the hand pushes will be pushed generally upwards. If this is not that case, any explanation would be appreciated.

Also, does Shinji advocate bilateral breathing? Given "explosive" movements, and a low slow stroke rate, I've often wondered how it is possible to get enough oxygen if you are only breathing once every three strokes.

Tony
Old 08-01-2012

Ladyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony0000 View Post
I also very much appreciate the reporting (and recognize that you are not claim to speak for Shinji, just doing your best to convey what you got out of teh workshop).

I'm curious about the so-called snap. It's been suggested that no meaningful propulsion can be derived from the pull after the hand passes the hips. This makes some sense to me. After the hand passes the hips, it seem any water that the hand pushes will be pushed generally upwards. If this is not that case, any explanation would be appreciated.

Also, does Shinji advocate bilateral breathing? Given "explosive" movements, and a low slow stroke rate, I've often wondered how it is possible to get enough oxygen if you are only breathing once every three strokes.

Tony
Tony,

Interesting choice of words ("pull"), Indeed, once the hand passes the hips, all that is left is instead to PUSH the water behind you. This is precisely what Shinji had us focus on. By timing the push correctly ( not too soon or you are pulling and make it a powerful, quick movement) and keeping the palm back, you can continue to generate power rather than hurrying to get the hand out and get to the next stroke. In addition, by doing this quickly with a "snap", the water provides a push back at the end that gets your recovery arm forward quickly.

Shinji likened it to dribbling a basketball behind you and we did this as a standing drill in the water. You can feel the hand spring back.

This move is one of the examples of accelerating not more, but for a longer duration to increase overall speed.

My notes don't mention breathing and I don't recall anymore if it was discussed.