Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2011

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthcor View Post
There is an unserviced group of adults in the 40 - 60 age group that want to swim for exercise but have no idea where to even start. I see them every time I go to the pool thrashing 1 or two lengths and then giving up really believing that they're just too old and too out of shape to ever be able to really swim.
Precisely!
Swimming is a great exercise for adults, and many would like to lap comfortably for health. But they are frustrated by earlier experiences, fear or embarrassment.

With due respect to those pursuing higher ground, it is the folks who care little about triathlons or speed that might prove to be the most lucrative TI market.
Not glamorous perhaps, but satisfying. An experience such as yours may lead to a love of the water and a better quality of life.

Last edited by borate : 02-15-2011 at 03:45 AM.
Old 02-13-2011

westyswoods
Default Flppr & Nine Months

Flppr,

Just wanted to let you know your Vimeo videos are an amazing chronology of your progress. I went back to nine months ago and reviewed vs the most recent. You should be proud what progress, congrats on the journey.

What do you use for an underwater camera?

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 02-15-2011

flppr

Congrats on your recent improvement, Cyndi, and thanks for the nugget about the wrist. It helped me lengthen my body but keep my fingers relaxed today. We are on a similar path. I bet we'll bump into each other in the future.

Westy, I'm using the Panasonic DMC-TS1. Its a little bigger than a deck of playing cards, but it works well both above and below the water. It is great to have a visual record of the struggles and improvements along the journey, and friends like all of you here on the forum to help. Thanks for noticing.
Old 02-26-2011

flppr
Default I found my catch

Having spent a good amount of time working on a high-elbow catch, I am replacing it in favor of a lower elbow catch. It just doesn't feel comfortable to me, doesn't flow, especially over longer distances.

So during my swim today, as I felt my weight shift forward as my recovery hand reached my head, I dropped my entire lead arm down to an angle of about 45 degrees to make the catch, and then when the recovery arm dropped into the water, began my anchor/pull with my arm in the hook position. I discovered that this lower elbow catch felt much more comfortable and fluid than the high-elbow catch.

My goal as a swimmer is not to be the fastest. It is to be able to swim comfortably with good form at whatever distance I desire. The lower elbow catch feels as though it is the right catch for my goals.

I filmed the low-elbow catch, and it doesn't look much different from the higher elbow catch. http://vimeo.com/20394491

Last edited by flppr : 02-26-2011 at 04:38 AM.
Old 03-27-2011

CoachFlppr

Well guys and gals, I took this obsession to the next level and completed the teacher training course recently.

It was an amazing experience. I met outstanding new coaches, synch-swam with Terry and with Shinji, and learned a great deal about swimming and teaching TI.

For those of you who want to teach TI, I highly recommend the teacher training course.
Old 03-27-2011

gdprun
Default Congrats CoachFlppr

Congratulations CoachFlppr. The readers of this forum have seen your dedication and passion for TI swimming over the months through your posts and videos. You have provided a benchmark for all of us who striving to a higher level of TI swimming. With your passion, you will be successful in your future teaching and coaching. Again CONGRATS!!
Old 03-27-2011

DesertDog

Ah Ha. I've been wondering why I haven't seen any recent posts.
Old 03-27-2011

cynthiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Ah Ha. I've been wondering why I haven't seen any recent posts.
Funny, I was thinking that just yesterday while perusing the forum..."I wonder where flppr is."

Congratulations, CoachFlppr! It's been very instructive and enjoyable to come along on your journey. I'm so pleased that the TI world has another talented and dedicated teacher.