Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2017

Rajan
Default Breathing

I was practicing swimming without kicking at all for a long time. During this practice, the moment I started pulling back water, I followed shoulder to breathe. It was quite easy for me to breathe.

But now Problem have arisen after incorporating the two beat kick.

I believe, downward kick aids initial rotation. During the initial rotation, one shoulder of leading arm moves back and shoulder of recovery arms move forward. At the start of this rotation caused by downward kick, should I start to follow my shoulder for breathing or in other words should I start to move my head to breathe following shoulder after completion of downward kick.

Some time I start moving my head following shoulder before downward kick that disturb my breathing, ideally it should be after the downward kick.

Regards

Rajan
Old 03-12-2017

daveblt

You should prepare to START the roll to breathe at the START of the downward kick and NOT after the kick which is the same time your pulling hand is starting to pull back .In freestyle try to breathe as early as possible .

Dave

Last edited by daveblt : 03-12-2017 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-13-2017
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Rajan,

Keep the timing simple and just follow your shoulder to air. Timing breath with the limbs will almost always cause a slight delay making the breath late and more difficult to find air. A cue timing is off is if you see your recovery arm swing to forward entry when you breathe, timing is too late and/or long. This blog will give you some tips to find air more easily: http://www.totalimmersion.net/blog/breathing-overrated/

Stuart
Old 03-13-2017

Rajan

Hi

Thanks. But My query was how to coordinate or synchronise breathing with two beat kick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStuartMcDougal View Post
Hi Rajan,

Keep the timing simple and just follow your shoulder to air. Timing breath with the limbs will almost always cause a slight delay making the breath late and more difficult to find air. A cue timing is off is if you see your recovery arm swing to forward entry when you breathe, timing is too late and/or long. This blog will give you some tips to find air more easily: http://www.totalimmersion.net/blog/breathing-overrated/

Stuart
Old 03-13-2017
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Again, don't coordinate the timing of the breath with kick timing - this overly complicates breathing that will throw off its rather precise timing (of the breath). Chin follows the shoulder to air - that's it.

Stuart
Old 03-17-2017

Rajan

Thanks Dave and Coach Stuart,

After recovery, when hand starts to enter into water due to gravity, leading arm shoulder also starts to move. Is that the right time for chin to follow the shoulder ? Please guide.

Quote:
Again, don't coordinate the timing of the breath with kick timing - this overly complicates breathing that will throw off its rather precise timing (of the breath). Chin follows the shoulder to air - that's it.

Stuart

Last edited by Rajan : 03-17-2017 at 12:48 PM. Reason: adding further info.
Old 03-17-2017

daveblt

Yes , that is the time you should start the roll to air.

Dave
Old 03-17-2017
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Rajan,

As Dave noted, shoulder is moving (body's rotating), chin is going with it. Often swimmers make the mistake, rotation begins and head chases shoulder to air - this is a late breath and makes it difficult to breathe and disrupts stroke rhythm - almost as if the head is banging around between the shoulders.

Here's a good video from GoSwim on "Shoulder "Breath": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_7wx06VsSM I like how GS describes the breath timing, but I don't encourage sticking chin to shoulder - there should always be a space between shoulder and cheek/chin large enough to hold a small apple.

Stuart
Old 03-18-2017
ti97

Quote:
Hi Rajan,

As Dave noted, shoulder is moving (body's rotating), chin is going with it. Often swimmers make the mistake, rotation begins and head chases shoulder to air - this is a late breath and makes it difficult to breathe and disrupts stroke rhythm - almost as if the head is banging around between the shoulders.

Here's a good video from GoSwim on "Shoulder "Breath": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_7wx06VsSM I like how GS describes the breath timing, but I don't encourage sticking chin to shoulder - there should always be a space between shoulder and cheek/chin large enough to hold a small apple.

Stuart
Hello Stuart,

I am curious whether it is a flaw, when breathing every 3 stokes, to hold breath until completely exhaling on the last (3rd) stoke? In the video you posted above that is what the swimmer is doing.

Or is there a reason to let air 'dribble' out during all 3 pulls?

Thanks....
Old 03-19-2017
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Ti97,

She does appear to be holding back, but I think there's a slow exhale through the nose and then empties most air on roll. You do want a continuous exchange, but not empty too quickly until chin follows shoulder to air as this swimmer demonstrates in "Shoulder Breath"

Here's another demo on the timing of the breath and exhale: https://youtu.be/c3VV4PwIBCQ?list=PL...GR9W0tiYmcH6MZ

Stuart