Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2009

inca
Default Thank you, TY, TY

Just wanted to say thank you to you all; TI (and this forum) has worked for me so far....and I am looking forward to getting more and more from it.

I was the Real Beginner who posted back in the beginning of the summer who couldn't swim at all (could only do the "dead man's" float) and was wondering (and truthfully beginning to doubt) whether it was possible for me to learn this way. There were no TI instructors or workshops available to me...and posting videos of myself was not an option either.

I have to say that it *is* possible to learn this way. Of course, I am far from an ideal example of a TI swimmer at this point....very far. But, I can now swim 'like a fish' through the water and just yesterday...for the very first time...I was finally able to incorporate breathing! I still need lots and lots of work, but I am amazed at the amount that I have progressed.

Not only I am amazed. There are so many veteran swimmers at the pool who find it very hard to believe that I have gone from zero to where I am in so short a time and with no lessons. (Did I mention that I am 56?) I have been asked time and time again where I learned such nice form from.

So Thank You Terry, for developing and sharing the TI technique.

Thank you every single one of you who posts on these forums; I avidly read all the posts, even those that are not totally relevant to me. Every bit of information helps; every incidence of someone else struggling in ways similar to the way I am is reassuring; and every report of success is encouraging.

And in particular, thanks to all who responded directly to me with good advice and encouraging words: Atreides, ayesr, Alex-sg, CoachEricD, Daveblt, eddiewouldgo, eifelrunner, jan ameling, Ken B, Madvet, mailtonataraj, naj, nicodemus, rajsenthil, Rhoda, Richardsk, shuumai, Vincent.
Old 10-15-2009

haschu33

Hi Inca,

Congratulations!

I think this is quite an accomplishment of yours!
I know what I am talking about - I am more or less in the same situation - but could swim before, just not freestyle. Makes it easier.

And there are these sessions where you think, you don't improve, and you still can't swim. And you are close to give it up all together. But then you go on and suddenly you are able to swim - what a joy.

I don't have anyone to give me feedback, either, and I agree: It is possible to learn the nice and easy swimming just from a DVD.

Yes, it is amazing. I am about your age and I am wondering, there is a number of people here in their 50-ties who start swimming, or want to become better swimmers in this age. Without the pressure of a triathlon or competition in the background. Just coincidence ?

Anyway - enjoy it, and, yes, I think you are a hero!

The 'Easy Freestyle' DVD is a tremendous help, and this forum here is high quality. You not only get answers but also reasoning and people who are willing to try it out before they answer. That is quite rare.
Old 10-15-2009

rajsenthil
Default Congratulations!

Congrats Inca. Good to hear that you got it. Also keep doing the drills. As Terry points out in the DVD, some of the drills has to be practiced months or even years. I feel better when I do the drill first and then do the laps.