Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2009

pinda
Default Kick timing

I am interested in firstly learning the 2bk and then hopefully the 4bk. Is it true if the timing is correct I should get more propulsion?

2BK
When I am starting my pull with my left hand, I should initiate my left kick downward, when I am starting to pull with my right hand, I should initiate my right kick downward. Please let me know if I have the above correct.
Old 07-13-2009

Alex-SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinda View Post
Is it true if the timing is correct I should get more propulsion?

2BK
When I am starting my pull with my left hand, I should initiate my left kick downward, Please let me know if I have the above correct.
Hello PINDA.
Yes, if your timing is correct, you will get more propulsion.

There are at least 3 propelling forces, if you are able to synchronize them you will experience more glide.
- lower leg kicks... facilitating the hip rotation
- hip rotation--> core body rotation --> Spearing hand pierces the water
- Catch hand anchors and Catch arm holds the water

To simplify.... think of the following happening together: left leg kick + right arm (recovery arm) enters the water + left hand/arm catches the water and pulls

COMMON MISTAKES:
1. Left hand pulls too late (you have both arms extended)
2. left hand pulls too soon (you limit your glide)
Old 07-14-2009

pinda

I will try this at the beach today. How long will it take before I can master this?
Old 07-14-2009

Alex-SG

Quote:
I will try this at the beach today. How long will it take before I can master this?
Perhaps a COACH can offer his opinion.

It really depends on what your current TI level is.

DRILLS really help to develop this feeling of rythm and coordination:
- Multiple Under-switch
- Multiple Zipper-Switch

I really like to cover 4-6 x 25m LAPs using Multiple Underswitch with fist gloves (or closed hands if you like). At first your body really struggles to move forward.... and then, by magic, the kick, the spearing hand and the catch arm start synchronizing.... and you move forward nicely.

Best of all: Swimming freestyle after conditioning your body with drills for 20-30min. You really feel your stroke is highly synchronized !
Old 07-14-2009

Alex-SG

Quote:
Forgot to mention....
To build a good 2BK you can try 2 things:

1. Vertical kicking exercise (learn to kick from the thighs/hips)
2. Do skating drills but only kick with the lower leg (the one that initiates the rotation/ spearing hand movement)
Old 07-15-2009
Coach

CoachBobM

You can increase the effectiveness of vertical kicking in learning the 2-beat kick by periodically doing quarter turns, first in one direction and then in the other. Note how your kick changes when you are rotating your body. In a 2-beat kick, this is the only kind of kick you will do, since each kick will counterbalance the rotation of your body.

People also sometimes find that it helps them to transition to a 2-beat kick from whatever kind of kick they've been doing if they consciously pause their kick right before each core body rotation. Ultimately, what you want to do is have those rotational kicks be the only kicks you do.

I'm not aware of any 4-beat kick. What sprinters often do is a 6-beat kick, in which you essentially do a 2-beat kick, but add 2 extra, non-rotational kicks between each pair of rotational kicks. The fact that you are doing two non-rotational kicks after each rotational kick has the effect of resetting the position of your legs for the next rotational kick.

So the 2-beat kick sequence is:
right up/left down/rotate
left up/right down/rotate

while the 6-beat kick sequence is:
left down/right up
right up/left down
right up/left down
left up/right down

Bob
Old 07-15-2009

pinda

Thanks all for your responses. I live in the caribbean, Barbados to be exact and we dont have any TI swimming here. I would love to do the drills but alas would need help from a coach. I tried your tips yesterday but it seems as though I am only getting it done in a few strokes. I have a funny feeling balance has something to do with it.
Old 07-15-2009

Alex-SG

Quote:
Thanks all for your responses. I live in the caribbean, Barbados to be exact and we dont have any TI swimming here. I would love to do the drills but alas would need help from a coach. I tried your tips yesterday but it seems as though I am only getting it done in a few strokes. I have a funny feeling balance has something to do with it.
Would really suggest to work on your balance first, before trying to synchronize body parts to achieve propulsion.
Just do skating drills for a while. They will help you:
a. feel a balanced body
b. feel the same sideway position as freestyle
c. learn a good kick

When static balance feels good, you can try dynamic balance (ie. keep body balanced and streamlined while rotating from side to side).

Just remember one of TI's main principles, when you are learning the TI stroke, it is OK and normal to do 90% drills and only 10% actual swimming.
Old 07-16-2009

samenic2

What a great thread,the 2bk solution seems to have corrected my body positioning problems after all this time.But crikey how on earth do you practise he 6bk sequence.I've tried to follow Coach Bobs program but myfeet always end up in the wrong place or should l say down in the wrong place.Maybe its for more experienced swimmers.