Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012

nicka
Default Training preperation advice

Hi all
On January 12 I will be entering my first swim competition ever consisting of a 1.2k open water swim, how would you suggest I prepare.
I am already ready for this distance as I swim a lot of nights open water at 1.4k and just wondered if you thought I should do as many more of these as possible, swim our 25 meter pool working on technique and drills to help imprint into muscle memory or swim our 50 meter pool which I believe is a bigger workout than either of the other two options or break it up between them all.
I am not looking to win any medals, just to finish an enjoyable race but any seconds I can shed will be a better achievement for myself.
Looking forward to your suggestions.
Nick

Last edited by nicka : 01-01-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-21-2012

andyinnorway

Nick,

I'm doing 2 interval sessions a week with active recovery at the moment and you might find that helpful and enjoyable.

A typical set would be:-

200m tune up - run through some stroke check points and feel relaxed and balanced.

3, 4 or 5x(300m just ahead of race pace, 100m active recovery)

200m swim down

total 1600-2400m non stop.

super simple, super effective. You can do this in the pool or in open water by counting strokes or minutes and keeping the 3:1 ratio

try to hold an effort on the 300m that lets you complete the 4th interval as well as the first and use the 100m to recover back your baseline if possible.
Old 12-21-2012

craig.arnold@gmail.com

Are you swimming in a wetsuit?

Clearly you are ready for the distance. So the only question will be how you respond to the race conditions. Either you will find it exhilarating and it will be over before you know it, or it will be draining and feel like hard work.

Keep yourself calm, take deep breaths; you KNOW you can do this distance, so get out there and concentrate on swimming well!

Imagine yourself in a canoe every 100m on the course holding up a board to say how elegantly you swam the last section. Try to make sure you keep giving yourself 8/10.

Enjoy the atmosphere and the excitement. When you cross the finish line you will feel that you have really done something special.
Old 12-30-2012

nicka

Thanks for the replies Andy and Craig.
Yes Craig i am wearing a full 2XU T3 tri suit that i just recently purchased that i am just get used to.
I'm still a little lost as the best preparation and training to do so i am trying to break it up and do all the above.
I have the next 7 days off so i plan to swim every day but each day wondering which one to do to help me not only prepare but imprint and help out my future swims.
I was planning on doing 2 swims per day, pool early in the morning followed by open water at night with my 1.4k course but after the first day of this i woke up not feeling fully recovered so i think it will be too much for my ageing body and a fear of wearing out before the event.
I swam open water yesterday with a goal to swim the complete 1.4k with bilateral breathing with success that i was happy with as i usually breath 90% to the right and the competition could easily blow up with an east wind only allowing left hand breathing so i feel more comfortable with that now.
I had a goal to swim 1500 in under 30 minutes by the end of 2012 which is a failure and 33 minutes would be more realistic.
I feel i have not improved at all in the last 12 months so lets hope i see some improvements in the next 12.
Enough from me, thanks again guys for the replies and a happy new year to you all, i'll post my results out of the other 4300 swimmers competing.

Nick
Old 12-31-2012

andyinnorway

Forgot to give you this tip since it is your first open water race.

9/10 people go off like a rocket, pretty much at 100m pace so guess what after 100m they are busting a gut.

If you know your pool TT setting for a 1500m swim then try to find a song or something that has a matching tempo and check it daily with the TT or an online metronome to test your natural pacing skills.

e.g. I would want to aim for 55spm in a 2 mile race so would use pink floyd's the wall to set my pace as I know this is 110beats per minute which I would halve to feel my pace. Then let that song play once in your head at the start of the race. This will keep you calm and allow the pack to settle before you worry about a race strategy.
Old 12-31-2012

nicka

Thanks Andy for the much needed advice.
I definitely will not be going out like a rocket and more so will be sitting back for a few seconds on the start siren to sit behind most of the swimmers and by pacing myself i am hoping to swim a consistent pace and maybe pass a few swimmers later on.
I am not sure of my usual spm as i do have a TT but i have more been concentrating on streamlining and technique lately but i will try and work it out over the next week with what speed is most comfortable to me exactly.
The wall sounds like a great idea and a song that i know well previously playing this on guitar a lot so i will give that a go for sure.

I have just had a look at last years race results for this competition and going by my average 1.2k swim time of 25 minutes if i can swim this time then i will place 490th out of the 725 male master swimmers so there's a goal for me, to swim in the top 500.(wow cant wait)

Nick
Old 01-01-2013

craig.arnold@gmail.com

Are you all starting in one pack? That's going to be very crowded with 750 swimmers.

My recommendation is to reconsider your idea of starting at the back because you then have to swim through 400 swimmers to reach your goal. It will probably cost you 50 places over a short 1.4k race.

My first ~3.7k swim last year we were divided into smaller groups with the male >40 going last. I stupidly started at the back of the pack because I was a bit nervous too, but what happened is that I had to swim through the whole pack, which slowed me down and at the end of the race I was still passing people and knew that if I had started closer to the front, I would have placed a lot better.

1.4k is going to go by in a flash. You won't believe how short it will seem in race conditions, where you have to navigate through the crowds and are pumped full of adrenalin.

If you can, edge your way to the front of the pack before the start, and let those people who are actually faster than you pass you by. You also might be able to pick up a nice tow by drafting someone a bit faster than you but be able to keep with them for a long way.

Also - don't swim at all in the 3-4 days leading up to the race. You will not be able to improve either your fitness or your form, only risk hurting yourself.

In the actual pack expect a bit of bumping, don't let it throw you off your stroke or freak you out.

Last edited by craig.arnold@gmail.com : 01-01-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-01-2013

nicka
Default Training Preperation advice

Firstly sorry for the topic heading as i only just realized that my iPhone auto corrected the heading that should have read preparation and not perpetration.
Wheres the embarrassed smiley when i need it.
Thanks Craig, no the starting line up will be in the masters age group and not all at once so no i shouldn't be competing against all masters at once.
Good advice on not swimming a few days before hand which will be hard not to as i am swimming every day at the moment and loving it.
Here's a link to an awesome 360 degree view of the course, i hope we get this weather on the day
http://www.lensaloft.com.au/Interact.../LorneP2P.html
Old 01-05-2013

nicka
Default Change of plans

Make this now my second swim competition as a local competition popped up today so i had a go at it for my first.
It was also a 1.2k open water swim and i was hesitant to enter as the winds were up a bit and it was a bit rough but i had a go at it and finished in 21.26 minutes that i was pretty happy about but i think the course was a bit shorted than the 1.2k with this time.
I am guessing there were about 80-100 swimmers in the masters group and i finished with about 20 swimmers behind me.
We had to swim in an M patten and it was hard to see the buoys in the rough sea and i just sat beside someone else thinking they were on course but it turned out we went way off and i found myself having to swim back out to a buoy to go around it before the home leg.
All in all though it was an awesome experience.
I have been working on technique the last week but being rough water the low recovery arm was difficult with the chop but the streamline concentration i think got me through.
Anyway thanks to Terry and every one here at the forum for their help and advice, i would never had thought in my whole life that i would be swimming in a competition.
Now i can't wait till next week :)

Nick
Old 01-22-2013

stratcat

Nick,

How did you go at Lorne?

We're just getting into the thick of the Port Phillip Bay swims and had a couple of really nice races the last few weeks. Portsea had a huge amount of tail current and was a good fun swim. Aiming to get to Queenscliff too this weekend...

Chris

Last edited by stratcat : 01-22-2013 at 09:10 AM.