Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012

jenson1a
Default Need Some Help

Had trouble when I posted a link to my swim, I think this one works.

http://youtu.be/ABanzFDnzJc

Two things I noticed--I seem to spear too far in front of my head and there seems to be a lack of fluidity in stroke. Have been working on breathing with one goggle out of water, sometimes it works and sometimes I lift my head too far.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Sherry
Old 09-27-2012

Rajan

Hello Sherry,

I am a learner. So I am not sure whether my comments are right or wrong.

In your swimming, Hand Entry in the water seemed to be narrow.

Hands are not relaxed. They are in cup shaped.

Regards

Rajan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenson1a View Post
Had trouble when I posted a link to my swim, I think this one works.

http://youtu.be/ABanzFDnzJc

Two things I noticed--I seem to spear too far in front of my head and there seems to be a lack of fluidity in stroke. Have been working on breathing with one goggle out of water, sometimes it works and sometimes I lift my head too far.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Sherry

Last edited by Rajan : 09-27-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-27-2012

bx

Hi Sherry,

Maybe your lead hand is a little impatient - it looks like the pull is nearly complete by the time your spearing hand enters?

Apart from that you look good imho! Quiet legs, well balanced.

[PS. Dear Moderators, can the attachment file size limits be raised a tad?]
Attached Images
File Type: png sherri.png (15.0 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by bx : 09-27-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-27-2012

daveblt

It seems you may need to extend your spearing arm a little underwater and roll your body a bit more just before you start pulling . Also try to roll to your breath with just a bit less roll and arm on wider track so your recovery arm stays more on a circular motion .

Dave

Last edited by daveblt : 09-27-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-27-2012

mt6127
Default good start! some focus items...

I agree with the observation that you need to work on an "overlap" - and not be in such a hurry to start your next pull... Try doing a "touch and go" drill where you reach all the way out with one arm and hold it, then pull smoothly and roll back when you go to spear during the recovery but don't start the next pull until both hands touch in front of you (as far in front as you can). alternate back and forth with a touch then go. Try some lengths this way then go and see how it works in your normal stroke. The other thought is to think of the "skating" feeling - when your lead arm is out (and streamlined to your head) you want to feel yourself sliding through the water on your side - and see if you can feel the sliding continuing while your arm is in the recovery position. Last thought is you can never reach too far in front! As a USA Swim official, I've probabably watched 10,000s of swims and entry point varies but all good swimmers reach as far as they can to start their catch. Try this, stand in front of a door, about 12-18 inches away with your shoulder end lined up with the jamb. Now try to touch the corner of the door or as far up the wall directly above the corner. Notice how your shoulders turn while you reach? your arm should be touching your ear too.. That's what you want to feel in your swimming...
Old 09-27-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx View Post
Hi Sherry,

Maybe your lead hand is a little impatient - it looks like the pull is nearly complete by the time your spearing hand enters?

Apart from that you look good imho! Quiet legs, well balanced.

[PS. Dear Moderators, can the attachment file size limits be raised a tad?]
I grabbed nearly the same screenshot. More patience. Stay in the skating position until the recovering arm is just entering and then...DON"T PULL the extended arm. Anchor and rotate your body past. Just anchor the lead arm and let it feel like it's stuck in thick cement.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 09-28-2012

jenson1a
Default Thanks

Want to thank those who spent the time with suggestions. Seems like there is a lot of agreement on the patient lead arm. I have always been amazed at how people respond when someone submits a video. Sometimes the clarity isn't there. But they still seem to nail at least 1 or 2 hang ups.

Anyway, I am going to follow your suggestions and see what happens.

BTW==when submitting a video to you tube, is there an easier way once it is uploaded. They give you the link, but I have been having a hard time copying down all the weird numbers and letters associated with that link. My eyes aren't what they use to be!!

Sherry
Old 09-28-2012

bx

Quote:
BTW==when submitting a video to you tube, is there an easier way once it is uploaded. They give you the link, but I have been having a hard time copying down all the weird numbers and letters associated with that link. My eyes aren't what they use to be!!
Sounds like you're unfamiliar with "copy and paste" in general on computers? Can you highlight text with the mouse? You drag the mouse cursor across the text to be copied. Then either right-click on the highlighted text and select "copy", or hold Ctrl whilst pressing C. Now the text is in the "clipboard". So, in this forum, either do Ctrl+V or right-click and select "paste". Probably easiest to get someone to demonstrate!

PS On a Mac, I have no idea. I think you have to take the computer in to the Genius bar and pay $70. (joke)
Old 09-28-2012

jenson1a
Default Stupid me

I wrote that post just before going to the pool. As I was swimming, I thought--copy and then paste. Duh! Then I also realized that I wasn't focusing on what I was doing!

But thanks for answering
Old 09-30-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
I wrote that post just before going to the pool. As I was swimming, I thought--copy and then paste. Duh! Then I also realized that I wasn't focusing on what I was doing!

But thanks for answering
At least it was swimming related!
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle