Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2009

mczabaj
Default mouth open or closed

This may be a silly question, but when swimming (freestyle in particular) should one keep the mouth slightly open at all times? Watching Easy Freestyle I've observed that Terry keeps his mouth open almost all the time.

Typically when I swim or drill I keep my mouth closed until I have to surface for air. Yesterday I tried swimming with my mouth open, and for some reason this felt a lot more natural (face muscles felt much more relaxed).

Does anyone have any strong feelings/opinions on this?

Tnx

Mike
Old 04-10-2009

daveblt

[quote=mczabaj;2682]This may be a silly question, but when swimming (freestyle in particular) should one keep the mouth slightly open at all times? Watching Easy Freestyle I've observed that Terry keeps his mouth open almost all the time.]

Yes ,when you swim with the mouth slightly open you can get a better and constant exchange of air ,with the mouth closed you swim more corked up .

[ Typically when I swim or drill I keep my mouth closed until I have to surface for air. Yesterday I tried swimming with my mouth open, and for some reason this felt a lot more natural (face muscles felt much more relaxed).
Does anyone have any strong feelings/opinions on this? ]

And you should feel more relaxed .As you are reading this take in a nice inhale and blow out with the mouth closed and with it slightly open and feel the difference.

Dave
Old 04-10-2009

naj

I too swim with my mouth open and find it is more relaxing and easier than just through the nose. However, I know of some that swear by only breathing through their nose and only opening their mouths to get a bite of air when they roll to breathe.
Old 04-10-2009

RadSwim

Open when swimming in the pool as it is most relaxing. Closed during flip turns and when swimming in the ocean to keep water out of my nose. Salt water burns!
Old 04-22-2009

pinda

If you use your mouth only won't water get in your sinuses????
Old 04-22-2009

rwilkes
Default mouth open or closed

Hi all,

This is very good thread, especially for my breathing problems...

If the mouth is open underwater (which i try to do), does this mean we should breath out of the nose and the mouth ?? Or just the nose ...???
Old 04-22-2009

aesops

Great question! I realized that my mouth is always open! Funny observation and I was wondering if it affects performance. A lot of people seem to do it, so...