Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012

andyinnorway
Default First outdoor swim - Jellyfish troubles

With just under 2 weeks to first open water race of the season, my brain told me I had to get the wet suit out of the cupboard and brush up on some navigation skills in the muddy waters.

I hadn't been super keen until now as we are still hovering under 10C here in the waters in Norway and whilst I know many of you can manage this without a wet suit, I prefer 12+ and a wet suit before I get started.

Anyway, surprisingly the water was ok after I took some time to paddle and get my hands and feet acclimatised to the cold but then I started to spot medium and small sized jellyfish every 3 or 4 metres and it just ruined my appetite for the sea swim.

What are other people's experiences of these nasty creatures? do you just vaseline up and ignore them or are they not so well bred in other parts of the world?

For me I would rather wait another week and then go to the fresh water lakes nearby.
Old 05-15-2012

Richardsk

Hi Andy

I've had two sea swims so far this year, both in a wetsuit, with the local triathlon fraternity (and sorority) and it was cold enough (about 10 C I believe) but no sign of jellies. I thought they only liked warm water. They were a bit of a menace a couple of years ago on the French Riviera (Villefranche and Nice). Little purple chaps and very stingy. It seems they ruined a lot of holidays for a lot of people.
Old 05-16-2012

stratcat

We breed them quite well here, we’ve had some big blooms of jellies in recent years although during the recent summer there were only a few.

I’m not a big fan of jellies so I always wear a wetsuit, even in summer when our water temp is about 20C or so. But if I saw them every 3-4 meters I’d get out of the water… if nothing else it would be hard to have a relaxed swim.

In a few weeks, I’m off to Cairns (Northern Australia) for an OW swim. Cairns has these tiny jellyfish called Irukandji which despite their size are very, very unpleasant. The jellyfish ‘season’ should have ended a few weeks ago (there’s no way they would do OW swims there otherwise) but I’ll be one of the few with a wetsuit on!

Chris