Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012

russellw
Default Factor that influence swim sessions

Today was a frustrating day in the pool, and I put it down to the type of morning i have had.

I was looking forward to the pool, especially after the good work from last week – notably with leading with the elbow (does anyone else think that this is the most difficuly TI drill to master ....?). However, when i started my drills, i was completely off balance, could not get back that feeling i had at the back end of last week. My breathing was rushed, and i was leading with my forearm and hand instead of the elbow.

My morning was stressful due to work, very busy and had a slight headache. This (i think), was then transferred into my drills/swimming.

Every session can not be perfect, and it just proves that outside factors can and will have an influence on our swim sessions.

Lesson learned that we will have bad days and to move on to the next session !!!
Old 04-16-2012

Mike from NS
Default Bad day ? Naw ..... just not stellar !

Russell,

If we didn't have bad days, how would we know we had a good one ? I'm adopting an often used expression from another interest of mine to swimming .... "there is no such thing as a bad day in the water ... they are all good"! Some are just better. We can learn more from the less then stellar days because we analysis them more deeply in hopes to learn what we were missing. If we achieved our goals we would let the day go, pat ourselves on the back and say "Yes - I've got it "! The thing about we TI disciples is we rush here to tell of our frustrating days as well as our stellar ones. Great thing sharing a common interest.

Your next swim day will be one of your stellar days !

Mike
Old 04-16-2012

grandall

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Today was a frustrating day in the pool, and I put it down to the type of morning i have had.

I was looking forward to the pool, especially after the good work from last week – notably with leading with the elbow (does anyone else think that this is the most difficuly TI drill to master ....?). However, when i started my drills, i was completely off balance, could not get back that feeling i had at the back end of last week. My breathing was rushed, and i was leading with my forearm and hand instead of the elbow.

My morning was stressful due to work, very busy and had a slight headache. This (i think), was then transferred into my drills/swimming.

Every session can not be perfect, and it just proves that outside factors can and will have an influence on our swim sessions.

Lesson learned that we will have bad days and to move on to the next session !!!

Hi Russell,

Sounds like your going through a normal learning phase of your practice. You shouldn't be frustrated but enjoying the fact that you reconiize that it just doesn't feel right in your recovery or balance. With patience continue to practice in time it will come.

When practicing drill/whole stroke try to keep in mind the three components of effeicent swimming (in order of priority).

1- Balance
2- Streamline
3- Propulsion
Old 04-16-2012

rwilkes

Hi guys and thanks for taking the time to read and reply.

Mike - great words of inspiration - especially "If we didn't have bad days, how would we know we had a good one ?" Its so true when it comes to TI, which nicely flows into your thinking Grandall, when you mentioned that I RECOGNISED MY BAD DAY AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, WHERE MY SESSION WENT WRONG.

Tomorrow is another day, and another chance to focus on balance, streamline and propulsion - thanks grandall.

It just goes to show, we can be the best TI swimmer out there, but we all need to learn and take something from every session - wonder if Terry even has bad days !!!

Thanks again guys.
Old 04-16-2012

Janos

Hi Russell. I share your frustrations. it is equally applicable to running and cycling too.
When recovering your arm, swing the elbow out, but lift the whole arm forward with your lats, traps and a shoulder shrug. Don't try to articulate it with your shoulder and elbow as the focus. Try it in front of a mirror, or lying on the floor before you go the pool. You will find that if you assume the correct recovery position at the start, you can carry that through to hand entry by mainly activating lats and traps via 'shrugging' the shoulder. Give it a go. Works for me!

Regards

Janos
Old 04-17-2012

nicka

Hi Russell

Yes i can totally relate to this only some days i go to the pool all excited about a previous session or even just confident of a good day only to find myself disappointed with the session and also on days where i have been tired and have pushed myself to go from being tired only to find myself waking up in the pool and walking away happy.
Being new to swimming i have just started to accept this as part of the learning process where some days not so long ago i was about to give up TI all together.
Nick
Old 04-17-2012

stratcat

One great thing I always keep in mind after a bad session: even on my bad days, the swimming quality is actually still far better than my good days used to be!

:)

Chris
Old 04-17-2012

ian mac
Default Life is not linear

Russel,
Thanks for sharing your difficulties. As I once mentioned to my good friend and former Olympian and coach Cliff Barry, "Real life gets in the way of masters swimming."

The therapist and spiritualist M. Scott Peck started his book "The Road Less Traveled" by stating “Life is difficult. This is a great truth, one of the greatest truths. It is a great truth because once we truly see this truth, we transcend it. Once we truly know that life is difficult-once we truly understand and accept it-then life is no longer difficult. Because once it is accepted, the fact that life is difficult no longer matters.”

Regardless of the ups and downs in life, I find some solace/salvation or inner peace every time that I get in the water. Although I am often driven and goal oriented in my swimming, when life is particularly crappy, I focus on the sheer joy of swimming - especially underwater, streamlined (sometimes dolphin like with flippers) forgetting the drills, the workout. Just swimming and back in my own private place.

When I get out of the water and back to real life, I appreciate my renewal and face whatever I must.

Happy laps,
ian mac
Old 04-17-2012

Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian mac View Post
Russel,
Thanks for sharing your difficulties. As I once mentioned to my good friend and former Olympian and coach Cliff Barry, "Real life gets in the way of masters swimming."

The therapist and spiritualist M. Scott Peck started his book "The Road Less Traveled" by stating “Life is difficult. This is a great truth, one of the greatest truths. It is a great truth because once we truly see this truth, we transcend it. Once we truly know that life is difficult-once we truly understand and accept it-then life is no longer difficult. Because once it is accepted, the fact that life is difficult no longer matters.”

Regardless of the ups and downs in life, I find some solace/salvation or inner peace every time that I get in the water. Although I am often driven and goal oriented in my swimming, when life is particularly crappy, I focus on the sheer joy of swimming - especially underwater, streamlined (sometimes dolphin like with flippers) forgetting the drills, the workout. Just swimming and back in my own private place.

When I get out of the water and back to real life, I appreciate my renewal and face whatever I must.

Happy laps,
ian mac
Good post Ian. Years ago I heard a quote in the same vein as Peck's "Life is difficult". Larry Short the person speaking, was discussing the subject you brought up this morning and he said " Life is tough and then you die". From there he said, if one can see the humour in that statement - the fact that life is difficult no longer matters. :o)
Old 04-17-2012

Earl
Default Life is Always Better after a Swim

I don't know about you, but I always feel better after a swim than I did before. As someone famous (whose name I cannot remember) once said about another enjoyable activity (use your imagination): "When it's good, it's very, very good, and when it's not ... well, it's still pretty good."

Earl