Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Breaststroke
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2009

mczabaj
Default Sidestroke

I've noticed that there isn't much discussion on this site [no separate forum] regarding the sidestroke. I've recently stumbled upon a video on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lUHudMN1TU) showing a Navy Seal instructing on this particular stroke. This video definitely sparked my interest, and I was wondering if there is any TI instruction on the sidestroke.

Is there a reason people do not talk about it much? It does look like a very efficient way of swimming [especially if you are trying to sneak up on someone :) ]

Mike
Old 07-14-2009

daveblt

It's not a competitive stroke and it's probably thought more of a survival stroke or something taught by the red cross .

Dave
Old 07-14-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by mczabaj View Post
I've noticed that there isn't much discussion on this site [no separate forum] regarding the sidestroke. I've recently stumbled upon a video on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lUHudMN1TU) showing a Navy Seal instructing on this particular stroke. This video definitely sparked my interest, and I was wondering if there is any TI instruction on the sidestroke.

Is there a reason people do not talk about it much? It does look like a very efficient way of swimming [especially if you are trying to sneak up on someone :) ]

Mike
Yes, there is a TI video on the topic. The "Combat Swimmer Stroke" DVD. http://www.totalimmersion.net/store/...er-stroke.html
Old 07-15-2009

madvet

I think that Terry Laughlin did do a video on "combat sidestroke."

I was reading the rules on USA swimming. My son got disqualified on backstroke and we were trying to figure out why. It must have been that he turned onto his front at the finish line before touching. (It was 25 yards so there were no turns to disqualify him)

On the Medley rules it says that the freestyle portion can be anything except fly, breast, or backstroke. So you could do sidestroke for that!

I was taught sidestroke as a kid in Y lessons and they actually still teach it nowadays there. I find it is fun to do these "old-fashioned" strokes. It is cheaper than buying a Model T.
Old 07-29-2009

Rhoda

I used to do a lot of side stroke. It was, at that time, as fast as or faster than my front crawl. (Which isn't saying much.) A very useful stroke for amusing small children by pulling them around the pool on foam slabs, or dragging a kayak back to shore when the occupant is too tired to get back into it after the deliberate overturn/exit drill.
I think it actually helped my front crawl, as I used to try to glide as far as possible on my side between strokes.
Old 07-29-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by madvet View Post
I was taught sidestroke as a kid in Y lessons and they actually still teach it nowadays there. I find it is fun to do these "old-fashioned" strokes. It is cheaper than buying a Model T.
Rhoda inspired me to make the comment I thought of a while back. Sidestroke is a lifesaving stroke, allowing one to tow a victim. That makes it plenty useful and valid as a modern stroke, at least as much as breaststroke.

The time I was helping to retrieve a lane line the sidestroke would have been useful.

I'm still wondering how the combat stroke is useful. Maybe something to do with carrying equipment? I thought it would be fairy easy to perform, but I think it would require at least a month of effort for me to learn.
Old 07-29-2009

Richardsk

I used to do sidestroke when I was kid, and its variation the overarm sidestroke (in which the top arm recovers out of the water). I don't think I ever had a proper sidestroke kick but used a kind of sideways breaststroke kick, which seemed fairly effective. I can still do it but hardly ever do.

In many ways it's a shame that these antiquated strokes are falling into oblivion. Just think, the same could have happened to breaststroke.
Old 07-30-2009

daveblt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsk View Post
In many ways it's a shame that these antiquated strokes are falling into oblivion. Just think, the same could have happened to breaststroke.

Well, breaststroke is one of the 4 competitive strokes and popular so I'll say it will remain a favorite .

Dave
Old 07-30-2009
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madvet View Post
I was reading the rules on USA swimming. My son got disqualified on backstroke and we were trying to figure out why. It must have been that he turned onto his front at the finish line before touching. (It was 25 yards so there were no turns to disqualify him)
I'm not quite sure why this is in a thread on sidestroke, but I'll just comment that this error more frequently occurs when backstroke is being done as part of an Individual Medley. Because the backstroke leg isn't the last one, some swimmers think they should be able, at the end of it, to roll onto their breast and do a normal backstroke flipturn into the breaststroke leg of the event. But the rules for backstroke (and this is true whether it's USA swimming or NCAA or USMS or FINA) say that you have to touch at the end while on your back. This rule applies whether you are finishing a backstroke heat or whether you are finishing the backstroke leg of an I.M.

When someone is DQed, by the way, the referee who DQed him should tell him why he was DQed.
Old 10-31-2009
Coach

CoachDave
Default Sidestroke

I've worked with a few SEALs in training on combat sidestroke, but in my opinion, there's a really good reason to cut it out of swim instruction for youth. It can be learned easily later on, but every kid I have who spent a lot of time learning sidestroke is a kid I have to be really careful on their breaststroke kick. One scissors kick or even just a little lack of symmetry from doing that kick can result in a DQ. I'd love to throw it in adult curriculum, but it's a tough habit to fix because many swimmers don't realize that they're doing it.

And on Dqs, the ref submitting the DQ turns it in, and it will be brought by one of the officials to the coach, who can discuss it with the swimmer.
www.ywcampls.org/ti
www.ywcampls.org/otters
www.distancedave.com