Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2009

westyswoods

I recently sent a underwater video to my TI workshop coach, he noticed that my breathing was not at all consistent. I would exhale intermittently. Many years ago a coach noticed I was not exhaling at all except when moving to air. My breathing cycle problems are well documented through this forum and as many have explained are the most vital piece of an intricate puzzle. To help imprint a smooth an continual breathing pattern Coach Mike suggested doing 80-100 bobs every time I hit the pool. In doing them, sets of 20-25, I try to do the humming on exhale and grab that bite of air so often talked about when surfacing. I also attempt to use the same timing cycle that my swim stroke would dictate for breaths. Been doing this for about six sessions now and no doubt it is working, albeit I do 25's after with only focus being on exhalation and bites of air. I still catch myself holding breath if I get out of balance or swim more than 50. Very simple but very effective for imprinting, hope this helps.

Westy
Old 12-24-2009

westyswoods

BTW I too fell into the trap of attempting to forcefully blow off the CO2. It does not work as the goal is to find that natural cycle in water as we do on land, which is why is I feel the bobs work.
Happy and Peaceful Holidays To All
Westy
Old 12-24-2009

roates
Default Shoulder Breath

I have struggled to breath to the right - it never feels comfortable, I worry about it and loose any sense of ease and then revert back to left side breathing. And then become frustrated with myself..........
I've been told to close the gap between my cheek and shoulder, follow the shoulder to air but the truth is I've never felt comfortable and now realise that I've never understood what was required..... and to which side to close the gap..........
Until seeing this clip yesterday.

http://www.goswim.tv/entries/5829/fr...er-breath.html

I tried the drill - it all made sense, I felt comfortable and got air to the right.
Like all things it needs more practice and concentrated focusing, but I feel I'm on the way to bilateral breathing at last. What a good way to end the year.

Hope seeing the clip helps other breathing strugglers.
All the Best
Roger
Old 12-24-2009

inca

Quote:
Originally Posted by westyswoods View Post
I recently sent a underwater video to my TI workshop coach, he noticed that my breathing was not at all consistent. I would exhale intermittently. Many years ago a coach noticed I was not exhaling at all except when moving to air. My breathing cycle problems are well documented through this forum and as many have explained are the most vital piece of an intricate puzzle. To help imprint a smooth an continual breathing pattern Coach Mike suggested doing 80-100 bobs every time I hit the pool. In doing them, sets of 20-25, I try to do the humming on exhale and grab that bite of air so often talked about when surfacing. I also attempt to use the same timing cycle that my swim stroke would dictate for breaths. Been doing this for about six sessions now and no doubt it is working, albeit I do 25's after with only focus being on exhalation and bites of air. I still catch myself holding breath if I get out of balance or swim more than 50. Very simple but very effective for imprinting, hope this helps.

Westy
My daughter told me to try this (bobs, bobs, bobs to imprint the easy going rythm) but it's nice to know that a TI coach recommends this too. I'm assuming you mean bobs, standing in the water and bobbing up and down.
Inca
Old 12-24-2009

inca

Quote:
BTW I too fell into the trap of attempting to forcefully blow off the CO2. It does not work as the goal is to find that natural cycle in water as we do on land, which is why is I feel the bobs work.
Happy and Peaceful Holidays To All
Westy
My opinion may not count for much on this topic since I obviously haven't mastered the skill yet, but I "feel" that this is the crucial point for me. I know that I am still sometimes (too often) not getting air, but I attribute that to tension and unease as well.

This should probably go into the thread about how we 'learn', but I've realized that instinctively my body 'feels' what is missing. I may not always be able to figure out how to technically correct it, but if I keep observing the right way and reading, somehow my body absorbs the knowledge. Then when I read something like this post, it confirms that innate feeling and I get an "aha" moment.

Now the work is to practice, drill and "get it".

Frustrated that I am not able to get to the pool and begin,
Inca
Old 12-24-2009

inca

Quote:
Originally Posted by roates View Post
I have struggled to breath to the right - it never feels comfortable, I worry about it and loose any sense of ease and then revert back to left side breathing. And then become frustrated with myself..........
I've been told to close the gap between my cheek and shoulder, follow the shoulder to air but the truth is I've never felt comfortable and now realise that I've never understood what was required..... and to which side to close the gap..........
Until seeing this clip yesterday.

http://www.goswim.tv/entries/5829/fr...er-breath.html

I tried the drill - it all made sense, I felt comfortable and got air to the right.
Like all things it needs more practice and concentrated focusing, but I feel I'm on the way to bilateral breathing at last. What a good way to end the year.

Hope seeing the clip helps other breathing strugglers.
All the Best
Roger
Roger,
Thanks for sharing this video. It shows very clearly the breathing.
It also reframed the way I 'think' when breathing. I find myself thinking more of laying my head 'on a pillow' of water alonside the spearing arm. This video will make me link my head more to the recovering arm and it will be interesting to see if that will help me.
Inca
Old 12-24-2009

CoachKevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by roates View Post
Roger, how goes it, Brother? Long time, no see. Sarah was home for a visit back in August. Next time we're around we'll have to visit...

I was a right side/every 2 strokes breather my whole swimming "career" 'til I got out of college. Didn't matter if I was swimming a 100 or 1000. Once I started to practice TI I began to breathe only to the near side of the pool so I breathe to the right going one way & to the left going the other way, still every 2 strokes. Breathing to the left feels sooooo easy, but I still go to the right when the chips are down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inca View Post
My daughter told me to try this (bobs, bobs, bobs to imprint the easy going rythm) but it's nice to know that a TI coach recommends this too. I'm assuming you mean bobs, standing in the water and bobbing up and down. Inca
Bobs are good for rest intervals, but make it even simpler to practice breathing. Try this:
Kneel/crouch in the shallow end or find a place where you can just put your face in the water. Hold on to something so you don't float around.
1) Take a deep, complete inhale through your mouth.
2) Put your face in the water so the water only covers your nose, but not your goggles. Stay as upright as possible.
3) Blow bubbles through your NOSE for as long as possible. Try to guess how long it takes you to exhale completely. Do this 4-5 times.
4) Now time yourself by watching the pace clock. Try to streeeeetch out the exhale for as long as possible.
5) Next try to vary the times that it takes from the shortest one you did to the longest one you did. Practice a range of exhales.
6) Remember to save some of your exhale for after your nose/mouth clear the surface. This is especially important if you use SweetSpot breathing. So, if you need 10 seconds to completely exhale, do only about 7-8 seconds underwater & do the last 2-3 AFTER your face clears the surface.

You'll probably be surprised how short your exhale is when you do it unconsciously at first. You'll almost certainly be surprised when you realize how long it is when you do it consciously. The point here isn't to exhale for as long as possible, but to CONTROL it as well as possible. If you end up breathing every 2 or 3 strokes - there's no reason to wait any longer than that - you'll only be exhaling under water for 2-5 seconds, maybe. How well you do it will ensure you'll do it much easier & feel comfortable doing it for as long as you want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inca View Post
My opinion may not count for much on this topic since I obviously haven't mastered the skill yet, but I "feel" that this is the crucial point for me. I know that I am still sometimes (too often) not getting air, but I attribute that to tension and unease as well.
This should probably go into the thread about how we 'learn', but I've realized that instinctively my body 'feels' what is missing. I may not always be able to figure out how to technically correct it, but if I keep observing the right way and reading, somehow my body absorbs the knowledge. Then when I read something like this post, it confirms that innate feeling and I get an "aha" moment.
Now the work is to practice, drill and "get it".
Frustrated that I am not able to get to the pool and begin,
Inca
inca, keep those thoughts coming, Bud! Your opinion matters to everyone, especially those going through the same stuff.

And don't get too wound up about not being able to practice today or tomorrow. After all...

Merry Christmas!
Dubai, UAE
Old 12-24-2009

westyswoods

Roger,

Thanks for the video clip. It does help clarify several points, as I too have been challenged by the breathing piece and following the shoulder to air. This should help.

Westy
Old 12-29-2009

BlueSpark

Thanks to all who took the time to post replies to this question. My mental pictures of the mechanics of the breathing motion and how rotating to air should feel were both wrong. I took the tips from this thread to the pool the other day and saw immediate improvement. Getting to air quicker makes a world of difference. Of the 7 or so breaths I take each length, 2 or 3 felt right, compared to zero previously.

Christmas Day and last night's snowstorm kept me out of the pool in the past few days, so I am itching to get back in there to improve some more. Tomorrow!
Old 12-29-2009

splashingpat
Default group sessions or fellow participants...Help out

Quote:
. . . .
My breathing cycle problems are well documented through this forum and as
many have explained are the most vital piece of an intricate puzzle. . . .
Westy

funny thing
to many cooks in the kitchen ....like coaches are not a great thing to have,
but as many find out the participants or others can be a great system to have

just like so many do here;

They share their struggles and so many will jump in to help out!
That's what I have always enjoyed when teaching a group of students!
If they can't hear it from me! someone else will say it a little different way
and it generally works out well!

once in a while it does n't
especially those that have struggled and come and say
They are n't going to get it! and somethings I have to agree with them!
but I do n't like this scenario!

I love the way so many help out here
, and it's not always a "TI" coach!
is it?

thanks westy when the student/ or students speak...

I have been certified by both the YMCA & the RED CROSS

and they never did the rescues or skills the same way.
I always learned both and put out my certificates and
say I can do it both ways!

nice!

I to like the phrase that was once used here
Do n't practice struggle!
but
I think it has been changed too!
the other one is Learn from your mistakes!

so
let's learn both!
shall we?

Last edited by splashingpat : 12-29-2009 at 06:19 PM.