Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2016
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default Practicing Care-full and Hyper-Focused Swimming

Sat 9 April -- 3100m in a 25m pool

I haven't posted in over 10 days. I think I only had the opportunity to do 2 practices in that time--not optimal practice frequency with just weeks to go before Masters Nationals. However I'm not terribly concerned with how fit I'll be, because my goal is to use efficiency and focus to get out 100% of what my physical capability allows during each of my four races at distances from 100y to 1650y during the meet.

Thus in each practice I rehearse swimming--and feeling--the very best of which I"m capable with quite care-full and focused swimming.

Today I had limited time so I did a single set of
(5 x 300 + 5 x 200 + 5 x 100) with 50y easy for a bit of quick recovery between rounds. I swam all repeats on an interval of 2:00/100m

Here are the details
In each round I swam as follow
1st repeat with featherlight and very precise catch
2nd repeat with firmer and equally precise catch
3rd repeat - Add a conscious Hip 'Slide'
4th repeat - Add a conscious Toe Flick
5th repeat - Feel highly integrated whole-body power originating in my dan tien (where chi originates in tai chi. Also called the Powerhouse in Pilates.)
This is a rehearsal/imprinting of how I plan to swim my races at Nationals.

5 x 300 on 6:00. I held 17 SPL and descended to 4:56 (1:39/100)
5 x 200 on 4:00 I held 16 SPL and descended to 3:13 (1:36/100)
5 x 100 on 2:00 I held 17 SPL and descended to 1:33.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story

Last edited by terry : 04-09-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-11-2016
Head Coach

Default Consistent-Pace 100m repeats on diminishing rest

Sunday 8 April -- 1300m in a 25m pool
Today was quite a busy day, but I was just able to squeeze in a 25-minute practice at the Nassau County Aquatic Center. I made the most of it with a very simple Pace Mastery set.
The set was 13 x 100m @ 1.10 tempo and 18 SPL.
I began with 1 x 100 very easy at 17 SPL.
Then I set the Tempo Trainer at 1.10 and started swimming 100m repeats. I would simply continue until I was out of time and had to leave for my next engagement.

I took 72 strokes (18 SPL) on the 1st 100, then rested for 15 beeps.
My goal was to maintain that stroke count for the rest of the set, while feeling progressively more relaxed at the combination of 18 SPL and 1.1 Tempo.

As a test of how well I achieved my goal of progressive relaxation I subtracted one beep from my rest period after each 100
By the end of the set I was resting for only 5 beeps, but experienced no difficulty in staying relaxed and completely consistent.

I only checked my pace on the final 100. It was 1:33. Very happy with that. This was a very restorative practice. Tomorrow I'll practice at higher intensity and speed.

My TI Story
Old 04-11-2016

s.sciame

hi Terry, I guess in the final 100 you took less than 4 beeps on avg for the turns, correct? That's pretty fast turning to me, and I guess you weren't even rushed or overpowered the pushoff like in a sprint effort.

I find TT a great tool to improve turns as well. By allowing yourself a given number of beeps for turn + pushoff you can find many improvement areas within the turn: somersault speed, feet reaction, body rotation speed, optimal pushoff length etc.
For instance, in order to match my TT constraints, I'm recently getting better at placing my arms in streamline position a bit earlier to prevent them from adding drag at pushoff.

Another one of my favourites recently is flipping with a front snorkel: flip well and the tool won't complain, miss a bit of alignment and it will punish you ;-)

Cheers,
Salvo
Old 04-11-2016
Head Coach

Sal
I allowed myself 4 beeps between final stroke going into the turn and first stroke coming out, on all 3 turns. But I did manage to shave a stroke on the 4th lap.

My TI Story
Old 04-11-2016
Head Coach

Default A TI version of USRPT on 50m repeats

Monday 11 April 2000m in a 25m pool

Tuneup
8 x 100m @ 15-16 SPL on 2:00
I swam these with my absolute best form and super-light touch, focused intently on not disturbing the water with arm, torso, or legs.
I descended from 1:51 to 1:39 while actually shaving a couple of strokes from my 100m total.

Set #2 USRPT the TI Way
USRPT is an acronym for Ultra Short Race Pace Training which is all the rage among competitive swimmers these days. The vast majority who do it pay attention only to the pace clock, and ignore stroke efficiency--taking far too many strokes.
In the TI version of USRPT, you keep your stroke count at or below the count you should swim in a race, and swim as fast as you are capable at that count.
3 rounds of 6 x 50m. In each round I swam fast on 1-3, at recovery pace on #4--to allow a faster time on #5. Then recovery pace again on #6 to prepare for the next round.
Round 1 @ 15+16 SPL Times: 45-45-44-43 on the fast 50s
Round 2 @ 16+17 SPL Times: 45-43-43-42 on the fast 50s
Round 3 @ 17+18 SPL Times: 43-42-41-40 on the fast 50s

Set #3 12 x 25 @ 1,1 to .99 Tempo. Count Strokes
I increased Tempo by .01 on each successive 25.
I held 16 SPL from 1.1 to 1.02 and 17 SPL on the final 3 x 25.

My TI Story
Old 04-11-2016

Tom Pamperin

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
Set #2 USRPT the TI Way
USRPT is an acronym for Ultra Short Race Pace Training which is all the rage among competitive swimmers these days. The vast majority who do it pay attention only to the pace clock, and ignore stroke efficiency--taking far too many strokes.
In the TI version of USRPT, you keep your stroke count at or below the count you should swim in a race, and swim as fast as you are capable at that count.
Terry,

it's interesting to see you incorporating USRPT ideas (which to me is a great example of a non-dogmatic approach). I've been just beginning to do the same thing--holding a target SPL as well as target time for 50m repeats.

My own variation so far has been to push the "obsessive focus on stroke length" idea I saw posted somewhere (Coach Mat's blog) as a description of the initial goal/focus of TI philosophy.

So, I've kept my TI-USRPT repeats at the bottom of my personal SPL range for now (13 for 25m, for a :48/49 50m), theorizing that as I gradually let myself add strokes and tempo through the spring, racing will feel that much easier and more relaxed. Obviously my training isn't race-specific right now as far as tempo and stroke rate goes, but I'm curious to see how a super-obsessive focus on low SPL now will pay off.

With no events scheduled, I have the luxury right now of spending as much time on the extreme low of my SPL as I want to--I'd be curious to hear people's thoughts on what that might lead to. I also do some SPL pyramids between 13-16 SPL each week, too, just to keep my gears accessible.

Last edited by Tom Pamperin : 04-12-2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-11-2016
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pamperin View Post
Terry,

it's interesting to see you incorporating USRPT ideas (which to me is a great example of a non-dogmatic approach). I've been just beginning to do the same thing--holding a target SPL as well as target time for 50m repeats.

My own variation so far has been to push the "obsessive focus on stroke length" idea I saw posted somewhere here (Coach Stuart, maybe) as a description of the initial goal/focus of TI philosophy.

So, I've kept my TI-USRPT repeats at the bottom of my personal SPL range for now (13 for 25m, for a :48/49 50m), theorizing that as I gradually let myself add strokes and tempo through the spring, racing will feel that much easier and more relaxed. Obviously my training isn't race-specific right now as far as tempo and stroke rate goes, but I'm curious to see how a super-obsessive focus on low SPL now will pay off.

With no events scheduled, I have the luxury right now of spending as much time on the extreme low of my SPL as I want to--I'd be curious to hear people's thoughts on what that might lead to. I also do some SPL pyramids between 13-16 SPL each week, too, just to keep my gears accessible.

I can't speak for Terry, but to me his reference to USRPT is not one of taking inspiration from it...he's been doing sets like this long before I ever heard of USRPT...but instead it's a way to show people the connection to the TI methodology with what other coaches are trying to incorporate. The connection there is not strong, but interesting comparison none the less.

I think in your case you'll have opportunities to make a lot of improvements in overall endurance and as long as you are also tracking pace as a result (not as aprimary target right now) you'll be able to track your improvments as well.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 04-12-2016

Tom Pamperin

Coach Suzanne,

thanks for the reply. It's a good point that Terry has been writing about ideas like this since the first TI book if I remember correctly. When I think back to pre-TT writings, the same principles were in play with the idea of Swim Golf and sets like that. But it's always nice to see more ideas about how to integrate those TI ideas into more "traditional" training sets, especially since I have recently started to train with some non-TI people occasionally.

As far as progress, I find myself being incredibly patient and focused on the process right now, which I love. I've only been looking at the clock for a couple of weeks (and that only for maybe half of each session), and my 50m repeats have dropped from :51 or so to a best of :47 last week, with :48 consistently today in a 10 x 50 USRPT-type set.

I also find that the leisurely tempo (maybe 1.55-ish--haven't used a TT as the battery died) of my low SPL is giving me lots of opportunities to develop awareness of my stroke and body position, etc.
Old 04-12-2016
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pamperin View Post
I've kept my TI-USRPT repeats at the bottom of my personal SPL range for now (13 for 25m, for a :48/49 50m),.
Wow, that's a low SPL. At 6' even my practice range is 15-18 SPL in 25m. If you added a stroke or two, you'd probably be closer to the paces I swam yesterday.

My TI Story
Old 04-12-2016

Tom Pamperin

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
Wow, that's a low SPL. At 6' even my practice range is 15-18 SPL in 25m. If you added a stroke or two, you'd probably be closer to the paces I swam yesterday.
Terry,

thanks for the reply. FYI, I'm 6'2" (188 cm) with 77" (196 cm) arms, which must be a big factor in my SPL.

I also have a pretty long push-off in the pool--swimming steadily, maybe 7 or 8 meters (I can manage a 13 SPL 25m with a very gentle push-off, but the tempo drops way down).

As for speeds, last week I did a 16 SPL 50 to see what my speed would be and came in somewhere around :40-41, but I wouldn't be able to sustain that right now.

I'm curious about whether you think I've gotten what I need from so much 13 SPL work right now, and should shift priority to add strokes and tempo? I was thinking another 2 weeks of mostly 13 SPL, but working to up the tempo and maintain ease with lots of TT work.