Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013

Talvi
Default Finis Hydro Tracker

Has anyone any experience of using one of these?

How big/heavy etc are they?
What if anything can be viewed on a PC i.e without access to the internet?

I'm only wanting it for some encouragement and monitoring. The individual distances I swim are small at the moment and the total is not large either.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 05-27-2013
Coach

CoachGeorgeRandall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvi View Post
Has anyone any experience of using one of these?

How big/heavy etc are they?
What if anything can be viewed on a PC i.e without access to the internet?

I'm only wanting it for some encouragement and monitoring. The individual distances I swim are small at the moment and the total is not large either.
I have used one. They are not that heavy and the size is okay for the goggle strap. I did have a problem with after 4 months of use. For the price I was hoping the reliability would have been better.

You will need to download the software to upload the data from the tracker and I beleive you will need internet access.

Last edited by CoachGeorgeRandall : 05-27-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-29-2013

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachGeorgeRandall View Post
.. For the price I was hoping the reliability would have been better. ... You will need to download the software to upload the data from the tracker and I beleive you will need internet access.
Thanks for that, very helpful (if a bit disappointing) :)

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 05-30-2013

stratcat

I've had one for almost a year; it fits on the goggles quite well (and is not going to come off accidently either) and it's a fairly simple device to use.

I've had occasional issues with the USB cradle and some corrupt session files but otherwise it's been reliable.

On the PC you can view time/distance only; it needs internet access and an upload to the Finis website to see the map and other information. The Finis website has improved a little over time too although I haven't looked at this in a few months now.

Although it could use some improvement, I think it's a relatively inexpensive way to get into GPS tracking if you don't need the additional features that come with other more expensive devices like the Garmin watches.

Chris
Old 05-30-2013

stratcat

Just remembered this...

http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/...ead.php?t=3645
Old 05-31-2013

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratcat View Post
Ooops, my bad? :) Good to hear you can get at the basic data without internet access.

Should I ask here or "there": do those maps show that the device is accurate and the map not, or the reverse? I don't understand what a non-fixed buoy is. (Flotsam? ;) )

~ Aleksandr Popov

Last edited by Talvi : 05-31-2013 at 05:10 AM.
Old 06-02-2013

stratcat

The maps seem to be accurate; they might be a metre or so out but it's consistant and the error may just be in the resolution of the maps and the GPS itself when zooming in like that.

The non-fixed buoys (the fuzzy yellow dots on the map) are yellow cones and kept in place with small anchors - they tend to move a little over time. It's interesting to repeat that exercise to check if they've moved.

Chris
Old 06-02-2013

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratcat View Post
It's interesting to repeat that exercise to check if they've moved.
An old Nokia phone of mine would regularly show me as being in the middle of the lake when my bus was passing through a certain part of town :D I guess swimming close to a well defined shoreline could confirm accuracy/match. The device has to be really pretty accurate presumably to give you a reliable/useful indication of any "track wobble" in your route? For me, my circuit is about a tenth of yours, so wobble makes some difference over even a few laps (especially as my wobble is considerable!! :D

~ Aleksandr Popov

Last edited by Talvi : 09-19-2013 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09-18-2013

tamtam140.6

The size and weight are fine, as most people above have mentioned. I had a hell of a time seeing the display outdoors though. Maybe they've updated the design since, but I never knew if the tracker was on or off when the sun is glaring on it (which is pretty much constant in open water).
Old 09-28-2013

Talvi

fwiw I took the plunge (ahem!) and got a Garmin 910XT.

p.s the tracker is meant to be worn on your goggle strap, at the back of your head - so unless you have eyes in the back of your head .... (and on stalks!) glare isn't an issue.

~ Aleksandr Popov