Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Breaststroke
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2009

pinda
Default How to catch water with feet

In my breaststroke kick I try to catch the water with the inside of my feet only, is this correct. A coach told me i should be catching with the outside of my feet.
Old 05-15-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinda View Post
In my breaststroke kick I try to catch the water with the inside of my feet only, is this correct. A coach told me i should be catching with the outside of my feet.
If you take Ed Moses' advice, you would push your heels straight back with your feet turned out. Focusing on the heels automatically causes a foot catch. Maybe try to relax the feet a bit, at least at that stage.

Before the kick the legs are bent at the knees but not at the hip. Then the legs bend at the hip and the position of the feet change. I think at that point you should only need to catch water with the bottom of the foot mostly. If you don't bend at the hip, yeah, you might need to catch water with the sides of your feet. But not bending at the hips doesn't allow you to engage your gluteus maximus. You'd be kicking only from the knees down.

I'll search for that Ed Moses video and get back to you.
Old 05-15-2009

shuumai

I can't find the video of Ed, but check this one out. About 1:12 into the video you can see a clear side view of the kick. If you understand Korean language, so much the better!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGGZrd5BNxQ
Old 05-15-2009

pinda

The reason I asked about the catch is that, since I started trying to catch the water with inside of my feet I am having problems with my groin. My kick is taking me further this way but I am also experiencing pain.
Old 05-15-2009

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinda View Post
The reason I asked about the catch is that, since I started trying to catch the water with inside of my feet I am having problems with my groin. My kick is taking me further this way but I am also experiencing pain.
Ah, right! Don't kick too hard at first. I hurt my groin kicking too hard with poor technique in a cold pool with muscles that might not have been warmed up, but even if they were, they were weak. I think it took a couple months to heal.

Is it possible that your new kicking technique is making you more streamlined? Maybe it isn't just the feet that are making you move faster.

Are you trying to squeeze water with your legs?

I was doing some breaststroke today without much problem. Later I did a kicking drill on my back and felt strain in my groin. Ah! When doing that drill, I'm kicking mostly from the knees down! Otherwise my knees would come up and out of the water. So maybe you're are not bending at the hips as much. That requires more catch on the side of the foot.

EDIT: Knees closer together is a good thing. It's when the knees are further apart AND the lower legs rotate out that the groin is strained more because the combination widens the kick. If you are rotating your lower legs out more and are catching more water with your feet, yet still kicking with wide knees, the position of the knees could be what's leading to groin strain.

Last edited by shuumai : 05-16-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-16-2009

shuumai
Default The Video

Found the Ed Moses video. At 11:00 the video focuses on the kick. At 13:30 he mentions kicking his heels, or ankles, back.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7l...brasse-1_sport
Old 05-16-2009

Richardsk

Nice video! Quite a find.
Old 05-16-2009

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsk View Post
I think someone else posted the link originally. There is a second part to the video, but I don't know if it's available on the Web. The first part covers most of the important things anyway.
Old 05-26-2009

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsk View Post
Hey, found part 2. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7n...z=706c61796572
Old 05-27-2009

pinda

Nice vid.It explained a whole lot.