Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012

jenson1a
Default Swimming in a Straight Line(or Nearly So)

This may have been addressed in an OW thread, but hopefully someone can give me some pointers. I use to swim in a 25m lap pool, but then we moved and the only pool here is a resort style pool--kind of a shape like a big figure 8.

I have been trying to use the TT and count SPLs, but my problem is that I don't swim in a straight line (boy do I miss that big stripe on the bottom of the pool). I do know that the longest length of the pool is at least 70 feet. Sometimes I can cross this in 17 SPL or as high as 22, but I could be traveling on a diagonal. If I am, then maybe the spl of 19 (or whatever), isn't so bad.

Anyway, I am trying to set some sort of a benchmark for spl and tt settings. What I need to know is how to swim straight so I am traveling the same distance.

Any suggestions? (Tried closing my eyes and it was even worse).

Sherry
Old 09-17-2012

tony0000

Have you tried looking to the side when you breathe to mark your position? Sometimes such visual cues will help. You could also raise your head and look every few strokes like an open water swimmer does. Finally, breathing bilaterally--if you don't do it already--may promote straight swimming.

good luck,

Tony
Old 09-17-2012

mt6127
Default swimming straight?

I have to smile as this problem is a lot more common than you think. for racers the problem is often called "circle swimming" where a racer goes down on side of a lane then slides over to the other side for the return trip adding distance to their race. Your problem is not the same but I sense its not the root cause of your different stroke counts. unless you count after a specific number of lengths using a consistent turn style, the problem may be that your pushing off and gliding different lengths from the wall with each length. I can make my count vary from 12 to 17 depending on how I push off, how far I reach and how fast my pace is, so the count is also relative to those factors. Try some variations like counting 2 or 4 lengths of the pool and doing an average. That will also eliminate reach/pace and push off variations. As to swimming straight, bilateral breathing and perhaps peeking ahead every 3-4 strokes at some reference will help.
Old 09-18-2012

boken

I agree with the earlier suggestions. My idea here will not make you a better (straighter) swimmer but it may work for your situation:

Would you be able to get a set of sinking pool toys like those little rings kids dive after and place them in a line from your start and end points and use those to mark your own 'lane line'? One every 10 or 15 feet should give you plenty of feedback if you are starting to wander off. Just don't forget to pick up your 'lane' when you're done....
Old 09-18-2012

CharlesCouturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenson1a View Post
This may have been addressed in an OW thread, but hopefully someone can give me some pointers. I use to swim in a 25m lap pool, but then we moved and the only pool here is a resort style pool--kind of a shape like a big figure 8.

I have been trying to use the TT and count SPLs, but my problem is that I don't swim in a straight line (boy do I miss that big stripe on the bottom of the pool). I do know that the longest length of the pool is at least 70 feet. Sometimes I can cross this in 17 SPL or as high as 22, but I could be traveling on a diagonal. If I am, then maybe the spl of 19 (or whatever), isn't so bad.

Anyway, I am trying to set some sort of a benchmark for spl and tt settings. What I need to know is how to swim straight so I am traveling the same distance.

Any suggestions? (Tried closing my eyes and it was even worse).

Sherry
You have two problems really, which could be seen as one opportunity to become a better swimmer.

Your biggest problem is that you don't swim straight. Your stroke gets you to deviate. When you close your eyes, it's probably worst like you mention. Then your second problem, is that you're stuck in a pool that's far from being an ideal training environment.

Can't really do much with the second aspect, unfortunately. But I think that a swimmer who's stroke gets to swim straight line could probably manage to train there. He or she wouldn't be perfectly straight, but probably straight enough.

Out of a curiosity, how are you doing with the drilling aspect? You use ti drills at all? Spear switch that sort of stuff, swimming straight there? Is there anything you can do straight?
Old 09-18-2012

andyinnorway

I would probably find the nearest straight pool and drive a bit further to it.

Use your figure 8 pool for drills and pure fun swimming but not metric measurements as they wont be consistent.
Old 09-18-2012

jenson1a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesCouturier View Post
You have two problems really, which could be seen as one opportunity to become a better swimmer.

Your biggest problem is that you don't swim straight. Your stroke gets you to deviate. When you close your eyes, it's probably worst like you mention. Then your second problem, is that you're stuck in a pool that's far from being an ideal training environment.

Can't really do much with the second aspect, unfortunately. But I think that a swimmer who's stroke gets to swim straight line could probably manage to train there. He or she wouldn't be perfectly straight, but probably straight enough.

Out of a curiosity, how are you doing with the drilling aspect? You use ti drills at all? Spear switch that sort of stuff, swimming straight there? Is there anything you can do straight?
Yes I have done all the drills as outlined in the dvd easy freestyle. If I swim only 4 or 6 lengths, I can stay fairly straight. Its when I do more, I seem to drift off gradually to one side. Its then that my spls increase.

I do a lot of the sgs, skating, spear switch, swing skate and swing switch and stay fairly straight with them. Of course I am only doing these in 1 length or shorter. This morning I did incorporate bilateral breathing and will keep doing this in the hopes my stroke will become more symetrical.

What I was trying to accomplish is to incorporate the TT to set a benchmark to start at so I could swim more consistently, increase distance, and eventually increase speed.

I think the suggestion to find a didfferent pool to do this is the most logical. the pool I do use now is great for drills.

Tks for all the suggestions

Sherry
Old 09-18-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenson1a View Post
Yes I have done all the drills as outlined in the dvd easy freestyle. If I swim only 4 or 6 lengths, I can stay fairly straight. Its when I do more, I seem to drift off gradually to one side. Its then that my spls increase.

I do a lot of the sgs, skating, spear switch, swing skate and swing switch and stay fairly straight with them. Of course I am only doing these in 1 length or shorter. This morning I did incorporate bilateral breathing and will keep doing this in the hopes my stroke will become more symetrical.

What I was trying to accomplish is to incorporate the TT to set a benchmark to start at so I could swim more consistently, increase distance, and eventually increase speed.

I think the suggestion to find a didfferent pool to do this is the most logical. the pool I do use now is great for drills.

Tks for all the suggestions

Sherry
Since you are staying straight until fatigue alters your form (probably a weaker arm or similar) try doing some 2 length repeats with 1 minute rest inbetween and use those to establish your TT benchmark if you do not wish to travel to another pool.

Enjoy.