Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012

mikehay
Default Flutter kick

I have been swimming useing the two beat kick and like the way it feels except my knees and my achillies have started to bother me after swimming. Any suggestions what I might be doing wrong?
Old 08-08-2012

mt6127
Default relax :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehay View Post
I have been swimming useing the two beat kick and like the way it feels except my knees and my achillies have started to bother me after swimming. Any suggestions what I might be doing wrong?
I'm having a hard time imagining what could cause soreness other than you may be working your legs too hard with too much knee snap. try thinking of your kick as a timing mechanism versus a power plant. You should try to keep your legs relaxed and start your kick from the hip letting your hip lead your thigh with your knee flexing only a small amount and feel the water pressing and sliding off the top of the foot top towards the toes. Allow your feet to be pointed but don't force the position - you may not have the flexibility in the ankles. Rather than working to keep your toes pointed, use the feel of the water on the tops of your feet to push a relaxed foot back. Also try not to snap your knee straight at the end of the kick by keeping the foot to a tighter range of motion - ie try kicking with say a 12 inch range of motion with quick light foot action and a relaxed leg. Let your kick trigger your hip rotation for your stroke in the 2 beat kick. For homework watch a video of Sun Yang in the 1500m during the Olympics. He used very small kick that was just a small flick of the foot to time his rotation from side to side!
Old 08-08-2012

The Parrot
Default Flutter Kick

. . . or possibly caused by your push off?

Martin T.
Old 08-09-2012

mikehay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt6127 View Post
I'm having a hard time imagining what could cause soreness other than you may be working your legs too hard with too much knee snap. try thinking of your kick as a timing mechanism versus a power plant. You should try to keep your legs relaxed and start your kick from the hip letting your hip lead your thigh with your knee flexing only a small amount and feel the water pressing and sliding off the top of the foot top towards the toes. Allow your feet to be pointed but don't force the position - you may not have the flexibility in the ankles. Rather than working to keep your toes pointed, use the feel of the water on the tops of your feet to push a relaxed foot back. Also try not to snap your knee straight at the end of the kick by keeping the foot to a tighter range of motion - ie try kicking with say a 12 inch range of motion with quick light foot action and a relaxed leg. Let your kick trigger your hip rotation for your stroke in the 2 beat kick. For homework watch a video of Sun Yang in the 1500m during the Olympics. He used very small kick that was just a small flick of the foot to time his rotation from side to side!
Thanks for your reply, I think you are right, when I switched to 2 beat I felt the need to kick harder to stay up and I must be snapping my knee and ankle . Thank you
Old 08-09-2012

ian mac
Default Looking for several good kicking drills

Mt6127,
I found your comments quite helpful. Working on my feet 40 - 50hrs/week in the restaurant business I find myself with relatively poor ankle flexibility - like many triathletes. Any recommendations on exercises to improve flexibility?

Also, do you have any drills to recommend for working on the Sun Yang snap?
iam mac
Old 08-09-2012
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal
Default Kick from the rump

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehay View Post
Hi Mike, kicking from the knee causes one to engage the quads more often than not creating too much knee bend - like tapping the brakes. Rather than think of less knee or knee at all, think of firing from the glutes. Engaging the bigger muscle group will keep core engaged and minimize knee bend (without thinking about knee) and possibly the pain you are experiencing. It's good to have flexible ankles, but not a priority; trimming up the legs to draft behind the torso is. Fire from the rump and flick the toes.

Stuart