Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012

stratcat
Default Swimming with the Finis Hydro Tracker GPS

Gadget time. This product was released a couple of months ago and seems so far to be a useful addition to the open water kit. It’s a stand-alone GPS unit so can stay in the bag when at the pool… and saves me from unnecessarily spending money on another watch. Cost was about $130.

Pictured with goggles to give some idea of size. The mounting system is quite secure too, so it’s not going to fall off the goggle strap. It has an on-off switch and a record/pause switch. No screen – needs to be uploaded to the PC and then to the Finis website to check the results.

After uploading to the Finis website. Quite pleased with my sighting especially on the left hand side there (no markers for about 400m) :) although I was a little bit wonky just after the top mark.

GPS position accuracy. Quite good– this is a close up of that top mark which is a fixed pole and appears just off to the right of my GPS track (I did actually go AROUND the pole!).

Buoy accuracy. On a separate swim I did some loops around the (non-fixed) buoys to check if these have moved (which they have).

Chris

Last edited by stratcat : 07-25-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-25-2012

nicka

Awesome review thanks Chris
This would be perfect for me also instead of just guessing and mapping my swims on runkeeper.
I'll definitely get one before our summer hits here.

Nick
Old 07-25-2012

grandall

Hi Chris,
Looks like its worth a try...does it come with a usb cable for uploading?
Old 07-25-2012

stratcat

George - for uploading and recharging it fits into a small "cradle" that has the USB cable on it.

Nick - if you can't wait for summer then a neoprene cap is worth buying too! I'm just getting through my first winter bay swims (in Melbourne) and it makes a huge difference (still a bit cold on the face and hands but takes away the "ice-cream headache" effect of cold water).

Chris
Old 07-26-2012

nicka

Thanks Chris
I never clicked on Half moon bay being Victorian.
I'm about 250 km west of you and i need to buy a decent wetsuit first as last summer was my first beach swims being new to swimming and i just used an Aldi 30 dollar special short arm and leg which was great but too cold now.
Are you swimming the next Pier to pub as this is going to be my first ever competitive swim if i get through the ballot system.
Nick
Old 07-26-2012

stratcat

Not sure about the Pier to Pub; there's actually quite a few events on that time of year and I prefer the less crowded swims! There's a couple of good ones over your side - the Queenscliff and ripview swims are supposed to be really nice so I'm hoping to make the trip over for some of those. My next one will be the Club 2 Club (Edithvale) in late Nov.

Aldi sell wetsuits? Wow!

Chris