Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2012

acairns
Default Overwhelmed. Where should I start?

Hello. I'm an amateur who signed up for a sprint triathlon at the end of August - mostly to motivate myself to get more active. I am very comfortable in the water and can swim the breaststroke continuously for more than 750 m. But my front crawl .... Not so much. It has improved greatly in the last few months, so I feel much more comfortable with it and can go about 50 m before I run out of breath, but the breaststroke, right now, just seems so much easier. Google led me to people with the same issue, which then led me to TI.

What the problem? I'm overwhelmed by the number of DVDs and books, and a little confused by their descriptions regarding prerequisites (ie. needing to already be familiar with the TI drills or technique).

I'm hoping some of you can help direct me as to where a comfortable non-TI swimmer would get started learning the TI technique, and then improving on it. Which book, DVD or YouTube videos were most helpful to you in learning TI?

Thanks very much for your help!
Ali
Old 06-29-2012

mt6127
Default re getting started

My suggestion is to start with the TI book to give youself a basis on the concepts of the TI terminology, drill mechanics etc (learning the language) then I'd move onto the DVDs to see the concepts in motion. Third I'd really recommend finding a coach or workshop - since you really need to get the how it feels (what the swimmer senses) to how it looks (what the coach sees) feedback loop. If you can't get a coach or clinic, the next best thing is to use the posting boards. Additionally use the boards to help structure your workouts - training with a purpose and setting approriate milestones is key to making your goal. Also keep an eye on other good swimmers in your pool. I have the good fortune of swimming at a Y with a lot of elite swimmers (6 kids from my son's club are at the US Olympic Trials meet right this week!) and I get to swim next to some nationally ranked master swimmers to watch and learn too.
Old 07-02-2012

afbcpa
Default Overwhelmed

I started with the TI Book about 6 years ago. I still refer to it. It was a gift from a friend. I purchased the DVD perpetual motion freestyle in 10 lessons when it first became available. Both of these have worked for me. So, I would second the 1st recommendation and use this path.

Tony
Old 07-02-2012

ian mac
Default Yes, the book

Congratulations on the beginning of your journey. The original Total Immersion book has been bible-like for me for more than a decade. Just this week I lent my latest copy of it to a neophyte triathlete like yourself.

While teaching a friend earlier this year to become a much better swimmer for a triathlon, I found that there was a huge amount of great information on You Tube in Terry's talks from the 2009 conference on Perpetual Motion Part 1 through 10. There were a wonderful array of drills that you should embrace in them. I can attest that my friend went from swimming about 22-25 strokes per length(SPL) to 17-18 SPL in just 3 months!
Enjoy every lap,
ian mac
Old 07-02-2012

losmancin
Default what is the name of the book?

This is a dumb question, but what is the name of the TI book that you mention? I've looked in the store and can't figure out which is the one you mention. thank you
Old 07-02-2012

grandall

Quote:
Originally Posted by acairns View Post
Hello. I'm an amateur who signed up for a sprint triathlon at the end of August - mostly to motivate myself to get more active. I am very comfortable in the water and can swim the breaststroke continuously for more than 750 m. But my front crawl .... Not so much. It has improved greatly in the last few months, so I feel much more comfortable with it and can go about 50 m before I run out of breath, but the breaststroke, right now, just seems so much easier. Google led me to people with the same issue, which then led me to TI.

What the problem? I'm overwhelmed by the number of DVDs and books, and a little confused by their descriptions regarding prerequisites (ie. needing to already be familiar with the TI drills or technique).

I'm hoping some of you can help direct me as to where a comfortable non-TI swimmer would get started learning the TI technique, and then improving on it. Which book, DVD or YouTube videos were most helpful to you in learning TI?

Thanks very much for your help!
Ali
I Ali and welcome!

Even though the TI book and Terry's youtube seminars are helpful for starting out I would say the 10 step DVD was more helpful. For me watching the DVD and being able to freeze frame each step and visually study it was and is a big help in my learning progress.

Congradulations in taking the TI journey.
Old 07-02-2012

WinnAngela

Hi All,

Whenever someone wants more info on TI, I send them this 6 part YouTube series. It's Terry talking about Perpetual Motion Freestyle. I hope you can copy paste the links.

If not, do a search on YouTube. Keywords: Total Immersion Perpetual Motion Freestyle, Terry Laughlin, part 1 of 6... There are 6 parts,but if you find one, you'll find the rest. Hope the links work.
Check out these videos on YouTube:

Part 1 of 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97b6X...e_gdata_player

Part 2 of 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8YDo...e_gdata_player

Part 3 of 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X51-9...e_gdata_player

Part 4 of 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpwhz...e_gdata_player

Part 5 of 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRg34...e_gdata_player

Part 6 of 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46Ggh...e_gdata_player
Old 07-02-2012

WinnAngela

Breathing is an issue with a lot of people. You're not alone. I would start with becoming familiar with what TI is. Once you know what it is, you will be able to recognize it.

Ian mentioned the 10 part series given at the MultiSport World Conference. That series is the same as the one I posted, except I believe the 6 part series is easier to understand and doesn't get as technical.

Where do you live? You could see if there is a certified TI Coach near you.

As far as books and DVDs, the TI Book, the self-coaching DVD and O2 in H2O are helpful.

Once you get into this, it will change your life.

Last edited by WinnAngela : 07-02-2012 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 07-03-2012

jon_c

Quote:
Originally Posted by losmancin View Post
This is a dumb question, but what is the name of the TI book that you mention? I've looked in the store and can't figure out which is the one you mention. thank you
I don't think's a dumb question--the TI online stores are very confusing. I've also been trying to get the latest freestyle beginner training materials and have no idea either.

There is no book listed that seems to be the 'TI Book'.

Looking however on Amazon there is:

Total Immersion: The Revolutionary Way To Swim Better, Faster, and Easier, published 2004,

and

Extraordinary Swimming For Every Body - a Total Immersion instructional book, published 2006.

I'm thinking the 2004 book is what is referred to as the TI Book.

My conclusions as to the current the sequence of learning TI Freestyle currently is:

1. Total Immersion Self-Coached Workshop: Perpetual Motion Freestyle in 10 Lessons DVD or the e-book version. The e-book version appears to be a collection of drilling video clips rather than deep theory as the books above appear to be.

2. The Six Week Beginner Freestyle Stroke Efficiency Program, again an ebook but simply a pdf version of a book rather than video clips. Again it seems to be more practical than theory based.

3. The Six Week Intermediate Freestyle Stroke Efficiency Program - taking off from where the Beginner program stopped.