Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Backstroke
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2009

pinda
Default Recovery arm problem

While swimming backstroke, I realized as soon as my recovery arm gets to a 45 degree angle after leaving the water; I start to sink. Is my recovery arm too slow? What can I do to correct this problem.
Old 04-05-2009

daveblt

For some who have good body position and balance a slow recovery may not be a problem but yes it can cause you to sink.So can over rotating or pulling with an upward motion where the palm faces upward instead of towards your feet . Try to keep the arms in sync as they pull and recover ,rotate enough to clear shoulders and try to enter the water outside of your shoulder line with palm facing out. Relax back into the water to feel it's support.

Dave
Old 04-07-2009

Jamwhite

Here are some things that help me:

Make sure that you are kicking your legs. I find that if I stop kicking with my arm lifted that I sink much easier. I have not figured out why, but it helps alot.

Make sure that you engage your lower abs. For some reason, I do not need to focus on this on other strokes, but on backstroke, I have had to focus on keeping my lower abs engaged to lift up my hips and balance correctly.

Lay back in the water. It took me alot of getting use to, but if I have good neck alignment and really lean into the water so that it mostly covers my swim cap, I am much better balanced.
Old 04-07-2009

pinda

Thanks guys I will try your tips.