Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Breaststroke
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2009

pinda
Default Making height

How do you make height in breaststroke while trying to keep you chin tucked and you eyes down in the recovery.
Old 03-16-2009

daveblt

Always think forward . When your hands shoot out in front as you glide keep them near the surface with your head between them as you lean on your chest. Don't aim the hands toward the bottom.Keep the crown of your head moving toward the end of the pool.Don't keep the chin tucked in too far .It should be in a neutral position.

Dave

Last edited by daveblt : 03-16-2009 at 01:03 AM.
Old 03-16-2009

pinda

I was aiming to dive deeper so i could get more speed with my kick, but trying to get height being so deep is problematic. I will try now to not aiming my hands to the bottom.
Old 03-16-2009

daveblt

You should not have to dive deep to get speed from your kick.

Dave
Old 03-16-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinda View Post
I was aiming to dive deeper so i could get more speed with my kick, but trying to get height being so deep is problematic. I will try now to not aiming my hands to the bottom.
By "height" do you mean how high your body rises out of the water?

With your arms out in the Y-position, relax your legs and in-sweep with your arms as your body naturally begins to rise. That should get you high enough to breathe.

Gravity will bring your body back down as your recover your arms /forward/ and your legs prepare to kick. KICK!

When you kick, maybe drive your hips toward the surface a little, like you might in the butterfly stroke. That should get your legs a little higher and more streamlined so your kick can move you better. Then relax your legs and out-sweep to the Y-position to begin the sequence again.

Instead of diving, maybe think of entering narrow then spreading out flat, if that makes any sense. Initially, you only need to get high enough to breathe and deep enough to be below the surface.
Old 03-16-2009

pinda

This is where it gets a little confusing. One minute I am hearing you need to get extremely high to dive below the surface of the water. Now you are saying you only need get high enough to breathe. Well the latter sounds just about right to me. I will just bring myself out of the water to breathe and that is it.

Last edited by pinda : 03-16-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-16-2009
TI Coach

CoachEricDeSanto

Pinda,
As I understand, there was a push, when the "wave style" developed that really sought to get high out of the water on breast stroke. My understanding is that is worked for really powerful people with perfect timing because the core did most of the work. I believe most people are finding a more moderate amplitude works better.

I believe you can generate more power from your core if you get a little higher. The side effect is that it is very difficult not to dive too deep and create more drag. If you stay more flat and just clear your mouth, you get back to streamline much more quickly and conserve more of your speed, but you don't generate as much power from the core. For most people, the balance seems to favor just clearing the mouth and letting your body fall, not forcing it back into the water.

So you probably made the right choice.
Old 03-16-2009

pinda

Is this wave motion similar to butterfly?
Old 03-16-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinda View Post
Is this wave motion similar to butterfly?
It's similar in that both stroke have some undulation. Watch Tomoko-san: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBunYVudRrA
Old 03-17-2009

daveblt

[QUOTE Watch Tomoko-san:

It seems that she has a really wide pull and pulls back quite a bit more than usual under her body .Or at least more than TI would recommend.

Dave