Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2008

Water Waltzer
Default Please explain EVF

I must have missed something so I'll go ahead and ask, "What is EVF?" and could someone explain this to me??? Is it just trying to get your forearm "vertical" early in the catch to trap more water to hold it better?
Thank you for your help.

Dean
Old 11-09-2008

Richardsk

Hi

Yes that's basically it. If you look at video of really good swimmers most of them do this. The lead hand goes out straight first and then the elbow stays high (near the surface) while the hand and forearm drop. Then the pull takes place or, viewed another way, the hand and forearm act as anchor for the body to ride past. It looks from the outside like a pull with the arm but it should feel like the anchor. I'm still working on this feeling and probably still pulling too much and hence slipping too much. I think some slip ( quite a lot probably) is unavoidable in view of the nature of water.
Old 11-10-2008

Rhoda

I like to think of it in terms of starting my catch far in front of my shoulders. That, and keeping my hands outside of my body line, seems to give me a more powerfull catch than I used to have.
Old 11-14-2008

flipper

I have been experimenting with EVF. So far my experience is that it takes much more concentration and effort after "allowing the pull to just happen" for the last 9 years. Without actually timing myself it does seem that I can go faster but at a definite cost to my ability to swim over 100 meters. I think this is a result of not being as fit as I think I am. With my normal stroke I am able to swim 1 mile in 30 to 35 minutes. Less hip drive and more shoulder and back muscles seem to come into play. Just my two cents.

Barry Brown or "Flipper" as I'm now known
Old 11-14-2008
Coach

CoachBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
So far my experience is that it takes much more concentration and effort after "allowing the pull to just happen"
The big revelation to me is to allow the EVF to happen. I think in terms of leaving the elbow in place after I reach full extension. With my fingers and wrist relaxed, the hand pointed down, I allow the oncoming water to move under my hand as my recovering hand moves to it's entry point. Then I've got a well shaped arm for anchoring as I connect the entering arm and weight shift. So it's really more of a "patient lead elbow", rather than a patient lead hand.

A patient lead hand is a necessary step on the way to an effective EVF.

I expect that as I get better at the patient lead hand and increase my stroke rate, I'll become more active at creating the EVF.
Old 03-06-2009

mattm

Terry also gives a good explaination in http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80
Old 03-07-2009

wavedancer
Default "Over the falls"

I have been practicing TI swimming for the last year and feel that my balance and focus in the water have greatly improved. I have occasionally been able to get my SPL down to 15 on slow drill-like swimming, usually 19-21 on whole stroke. I am still reeeeally slow...averaging 1:27/50 yds.

I have just started focusing on EVF to see if I can move through the water with more propulsion. The posts in this thread and the link to the previous thread were very helpful. Last night I did progressive drills with Fist Gloves, changing focus every 50-100 yds. I took the gloves off for a 300 yd swim and changed focus every 50 yds: mail slot entry, wide tracks, driving high hip down, 2 beat kick, EVF.

I started to feel some whole body connection that culminated in a few strokes where I actually felt my vertical forearm providing the bracing point for my spearing arm and body rotation/ 2BK to propel me forward. It was a brief Aha! moment where everything clicked. The best way I can describe the feeling is like going over the top of a waterfall. My vertical forearm was braced "over the edge" and the force of the river (body rotation/2BK) carried me over the edge. I also felt that I was going a little deeper into the water, so it may have been that I let go of my head a little more, too. (Not a focal point that I had been using consciously).

Like I said, the sensation only lasted for a few strokes, but I believe that if you have experienced something once, it is in muscle memory and I will eventually be able to access it again.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences, coaching tips. I learn so much from all of you!

Linda
Old 03-07-2009

AWP
Default Mo better times

Wavedancer

I had the same 'urges' after my first year of practicing TI swimming and found that after many a practice solely focusing on "eliminating" skills (ie. being as tall as I could, quiet legs, quiet entry, smooth rotation to air etc.) that when I began to time myself again my times improved dramatically.
Old 03-14-2009

pinda

I have recently tried EVF, you know its working when you feel as though your body is being pulled past your hand. I was so amazed.
Old 03-14-2009

Jamwhite

May I suggest an alternative approach?

Put on fist gloves and do underswitch for an hour with a focus to glide as far as you can each underswitch. (Gliding in underswitch with fist gloves is not easy at all.)

It is very common for people to work on doing something like EVF for months, when a few hours of correct drilling will get you there effortlessly.