Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2018

scribe3
Default Exhale

During freestyle swimming,when I exhale, while turning to breathe, I usually end up, breaking the surface of the water still exhaling. I was wondering if I should stop exhaling just before my mouth and nose break the surface of the water to start inhaling, holding my breathe so to speak.
Old 04-10-2018

WFEGb

Hello scribe3,

did you ever try a forced "blow-out" (like wales do) in the moment your mouth cleares surface?... Following inhale should be done by itself, relaxed and tension-free....

Give it a try.

Best regards,
Werner
Old 04-10-2018

scribe3
Default breathe

Thanks for your suggestion, yes I usually exhale hard through the nose when turning to air....it maybe I'm not taking enough air in, when i breathe, I feel somewhat tense after swimming 50 ft
Old 04-10-2018

WFEGb

Hello scribe3,

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion, yes I usually exhale hard through the nose when turning to air....it maybe I'm not taking enough air in, when i breathe, I feel somewhat tense after swimming 50 ft
Try to blow out through mouth and nose, so that the "blow-out" will become a "nearly-all-out". Inhaling will happen by itself...

Surely there will be some tension in your whole body built up and helt while swimming your 50ft. Did you try with some balance-drills like Torpedo, Superman, Skate before swimming in whole stroke? Breathing really is a not easy skill. Building it, you should be familiar with balance- and streamline-concepts.

Best regards,
Werner