Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2012
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal
Default Take all the air you need - EARLY!

Hi efdoucette!

I haven't looked through all the threads so plz forgive if info repeats. Swim nod (I did see this suggestion) is a good start, and sweet spot breathing imprinting keeping your head and torso as unit, spine aligned as you roll to your back from skate or WSP are excellent. But timing is very critical, get the breath early at the end of body roll (you only have a split second). Wait too long, or extra long breath - "the bus has left the station", you will find more water than air. Use "peek-a-boo" nod, peek just one goggle above surface (no breathing) at the end of body roll, then return head to neutal position (nose down) to imprint this alignment at breathing. Feel that your forehead is lower than your chin when peeking one goggle. If forehead is higher than chin, spine is not alighned mouth is that much lower making it even more difficult to breath. This usually causes the lead arm to leave too early attempting to lift your head to get breath; hips sink, stroke falls apart. Make sure your lead arm remains "anchored" in place when taking a peek (and on breath). Once you feel confident, keeping head/spine aligned, lead arm anchored, forehead lower than chin - try taking a breath. I think you will discover that taking a breath is natural and easy - and find yourself asking "why was I making it so complicated". All of my students share the same thought after they find that easy breath. :-)

Happy Swimming and Breathing!
Old 09-06-2012

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStuartMcDougal View Post
Swim nod .. and sweet spot breathing .. or WSP are excellent. ... Use "peek-a-boo" nod
Would you please clarify if the "swim nod" and "sweet spot breathing" are what you are describing in the "peek-a-boo nod"? (btw what is WSP?)
Quote:
Feel that your forehead is lower than your chin when peeking one goggle
Do you have any tips for feeling when lower/higher is too much lower/higher? Does the optimal alignment come from the "lazer line"?

Last edited by Talvi : 09-06-2012 at 10:40 AM. Reason: added second query
Old 09-07-2012
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Talvi,

Yes it's "swim nod" last progression peeking just one goggle above surface but taking no breath. WSP is whole stroke practice (not drill). Keep your chin glued to your shoulder as you rotate body for breath.

If your rotation is good (not stacked) and rotate to get air and find only water, forehead is probably much higher than chin, and lead hand/arm often triggers to attempt to lift head to get air and stroke falls apart. laser line is a good focal. Best to have someone film you to see if your are holding "laser line", head spine in alignment when you breath.

Hope that helps

Stuart
Old 09-07-2012

Talvi

Quote:
Keep your chin glued to your shoulder as you rotate body for breath.

If your rotation is good (not stacked) and rotate to get air and find only water, forehead is probably much higher than chin, and lead hand/arm often triggers to attempt to lift head to get air and stroke falls apart. laser line is a good focal. Best to have someone film you to see if your are holding "laser line", head spine in alignment when you breath.
Fantastic, yes, thanks very much for that Stuart :) That is precisely one of my faults - using the lead hand for purchase to get my head out of the water. I don't do it at first but then it begins "despite myself" and I have to stop to get out of it (which is awkward in OW swimming!).
Old 09-07-2012

Jbparis11
Default nodding

personally, i found "nodding" to be my best training for breathing. it wasn't so much of when i took a breath (2, 3 or 4 strokes), but i lacked comfort in getting to the air.
by nodding toward the air, it made me realize that only a few more inches of rotation could get me there. without any extra effort.
i recorded a few swims and noticed that i still occasionally lift my head a small bit, but most of the time...one google is in the water and my mouth is open only halfway out of the water. until the video i never realized how it looked.
i agree, record yourself, then take it home and really watch for your mistakes (we all find tons of them)...then work on those one-by-one.
Old 09-07-2012

Talvi
Default ^_^

Thanks Jbparis11 :)

I have a cunning plan ... to use a snorkel so I can practice head-down-laser with body roll spearing etc to both sides, in WSP, without having to worry about breathing. Maybe that way I can focus on grooving the stroke basics and feed in the head turn to air afterwards.

thanks to CharlesCouturier for this clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGCBgGINy0c
(that rhythm is a bit too complicated for me, but still)

Last edited by Talvi : 09-08-2012 at 02:50 PM. Reason: added video and thanks!
Old 06-13-2013

dprevish
Default tension

Eric,

I've gone through and still on the left side go through the struggle of breathing.
Two things are helping me:
First one is the TI CD part were you just lazy kick and balance w/arm hanging down in front and practice "relaxing into weightlessness". I do drills of this out of the lap lane for about 5 min. each side. I kick so easy that I don't even move forward. Take a breath in sweet spot, rotate to facing the wall and breath out easy, then back to sweet spot and repeat until you feel all the tension and desire to struggle to air go away. It's been analyzed a lot, but something about tension destroys all my balance and affects my breathing immensely.
Two,
Under switch drills breathing on every third breath. Take as Terry says, "a quick bite of air". Strangely in the under switch drills I can breath on my left side where as in whole stroke I still cannot. I'm not sure why, but probably is targeting my timing.
Anyway, hope this helps!
Old 07-15-2013

Blindside

Hi everyone, I have used the search facility but cannot find the thread that was referenced earlier in this one. It is titled:

RonM77's last year Freestyle-thread "Getting out of breath"

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2013

Blindside

It's OK thanks, it isn't RonM77 it's Robm77 :)
Old 07-15-2013

Outsider92

Take my advice for what it is worth.

I was in very good shape when I started with TI years back. It was because I was training for marathons and I needed a different outlet for exercise that wasn't so hard on my body. It was horrible. I thought the life guards were going to have to jump in and save me because I could barely make it 50 yrds without gasping for breath. Eventually it got better but I never really got the feel. Unfortunately I got very hurt running and took some time off which has left me very out of shape.

Recently I have gotten back in the pool. Oddly enough, because I am so out of shape the focus is on being as efficient as possible in the water. I'm swimming better now than I did when I had the capacity to run 13 miles on a Saturday.

Reading and taking everyone's advice is very important but just as important is learning what works for you. Feel the water. If someone as uncoordinated and out of shape as I am can learn it them I'm confident that anyone can with enough practice and focus.

Just relax